Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 12:54 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times

Advertisements

Bill - could you maybe tell us what effect you want to have in your apartment, and maybe people can give you the answer for the device that will do it. if that's not too personal. an air conditioner would definitely be able to chill a 300 square foot apartment but you want fresh air too? I think that's what you want? what exactly do you want to happen? maybe we can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 12:58 PM

128 posts, read 163,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Bill - could you maybe tell us what effect you want to have in your apartment, and maybe people can give you the answer for the device that will do it. if that's not too personal. an air conditioner would definitely be able to chill a 300 square foot apartment but you want fresh air too? I think that's what you want? what exactly do you want to happen? maybe we can help.
Thanks. I want Co2 ppm to be below 450, as close to outside air ppm (400) as possible. That's the primary goal.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:31 PM

300 posts, read 438,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillS111 View Post
Thanks. I want Co2 ppm to be below 450, as close to outside air ppm (400) as possible. That's the primary goal.
you request is unusual for studio apt. This is more typical of new constructed retail/office applications. Ar you expecting to host high occupancy events or have combustion venting equipment?

Then you need an HRV/ERV unit with duct work and penetrations to the outside wall/roof. There are other ways to accomplish this with less cost and sturctural changes. How new is the structure?

Does the unit have a bathroom exh fan or kitchen hood which vents to exterior?

Look at products by 'fantech" or "greenheck". You may be able to up the CMP of current ventialtion equipment without changing the exh duct.

Contray to advice provided by some of the posters, a window unit from Kmart will not exchange air.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You mentioned window a/cs in your post so I wrongfully assumed this is what you were questioning. This thread is really going nowhere since you seem more inclined to spend time mulling a possibility than finding out whether your possibility is even acceptable.
Wouldn't it make sense for the OP to deterimine the type system he's wants BEFORE presenting a proposal to his potenial Land lord? Just cause you're having difficulty understanding his question doesn't mean that "This thread is really going nowhere". It just means that he's looking for more experienced advice.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
What do you mean by "ventilate the room"? I have friends with a portable A/C and it simply vents out through a window just like a window A/C unit, is very compact and does a great job of cooling the space quickly and quietly when needed.
Ventiatle implies air exchange. Window units are not designed to ventilate. Typically window units re-circulate.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:42 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,334 times
I would not allow it because of the building permits and if there over xxx amount of dollars then my taxes go UP!! dam government. why not just buy a room AC but check to see wich ones exchange air or and get a small fan and open a window if you want fresh air that bad. I won't even allow window AC units in my buildings!! why won't I you might ask because if they fall out of the window and knock someone out that's walking by who will be getting sued

Old 08-14-2014, 07:49 PM

I would not allow that to be done because of building permits. if the permits go over a certain amount of money then so don't my TAXES and then id'e have to raise the rent to recoupe the cost. i had a tenant that wanted to redo one of my kitchens to there standards I was like um no. why would anyone in there right mind want to make a big investment in someone elses property is beyond me. maybe your better off in a house. why not just buy a room AC unit and a fan and open a window if you want fresh air. atleast you can take it with you when you move!!

Old 08-14-2014, 09:38 PM

and personaly I would not want warmer air coming in the room when i'm tryin to cool it unless your a smoker I dunno

Old 08-14-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu4u View Post
you request is unusual for studio apt. This is more typical of new constructed retail/office applications. Ar you expecting to host high occupancy events or have combustion venting equipment?

Then you need an HRV/ERV unit with duct work and penetrations to the outside wall/roof. There are other ways to accomplish this with less cost and sturctural changes. How new is the structure?

Does the unit have a bathroom exh fan or kitchen hood which vents to exterior?

Look at products by 'fantech" or "greenheck". You may be able to up the CMP of current ventialtion equipment without changing the exh duct.

Contray to advice provided by some of the posters, a window unit from Kmart will not exchange air.
Thanks. This is for health reasons. Want the Co2 ppm as close to 400 as possible. Havent chosen a place to live, so dont know the age of the structure.

Bathroom or exhaust fans wont do this, even if 'improved'. I already looked into that.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
I would not allow it because of the building permits and if there over xxx amount of dollars then my taxes go UP!! dam government. why not just buy a room AC but check to see wich ones exchange air or and get a small fan and open a window if you want fresh air that bad. I won't even allow window AC units in my buildings!! why won't I you might ask because if they fall out of the window and knock someone out that's walking by who will be getting sued
I havent found a room a/c that also functions as an ERV. That would be a good product.

Window fans dont work in the Miami heat which is 90 F and 80% humidity for 6 months, because the room is unbearably hot, even if you crank the a/c.

I hear you on the window unit. I'm going to need to figure out a non-window way to do this (i.e. machine in the room with the vents blowing out windows), for those liability reasons you mention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting