Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 08:11 PM

241 posts, read 793,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Please, please, please show me any diploma that states "Bachelorette". Just because the term evolved this year in "politically correct" circles, it does not mean it is actually correct.
Oh please don't, lol. I don't want to find out someone in my doctors office is really a "bachelorette". It would just creep me out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 08:26 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Please, please, please show me any diploma that states "Bachelorette". Just because the term evolved this year in "politically correct" circles, it does not mean it is actually correct.
French word baccalauréat (from the Latin bacca, a berry, and laureus, of the bay laurel), and, by modification, the term "bachelor" in referring to one who holds a university degree.[

What is the difference between a baccalaureate degree and bachelor's degree

Post-baccalaureate - CSULB Enrollment Services

The term is not new. Maybe perhaps read up on it a bit.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
sorry but you seem to show a lack of education on the matter. education dose not stop illness injury from putting you on ssd and hard times.
Illness or injury does not stop many from living productive lives. You seem to show a lack of education on the matter. Many people have incomes that are disabled. They have not lost the use of their mind and can still produce an income all on their own. The majority of those that have an education will still have a way to produce an income for themselves. Not all people are willing to jump into the government's idea of a fullfilling life.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:44 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
French word baccalauréat (from the Latin bacca, a berry, and laureus, of the bay laurel), and, by modification, the term "bachelor" in referring to one who holds a university degree.[

What is the difference between a baccalaureate degree and bachelor's degree

Post-baccalaureate - CSULB Enrollment Services

The term is not new. Maybe perhaps read up on it a bit.
Why are you providing information about the word "baccalaureate" in regards to a degree or education? Of course it is not a new term, and anyone with any sort of education knows what it means. You specifically said (and spelled) "bachelorette" in reference to a type of degree. Please show me any reference to "bachelorette", not "baccalaureate".....

Quote:
bachelorette would be the correct spelling. Bachelors would infact be for a guy. I am sorry I work in a hospital with mostly women so most of them have or are working on Bachelorette degrees in Nursing.

Last edited by spencgr; 10-10-2013 at 12:58 PM..

Old 10-10-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Why are you providing information about the word "baccalaureate" in regards to a degree or education? Of course it is not a new term, and anyone with any sort of education knows what it means. You specifically said (and spelled) "bachelorette" in reference to a type of degree. Please show me any reference to "bachelorette", not "baccalaureate".....
My posts follow a line of other posts having to do with the subject. Although my spelling was off the general idea follows. The point being that someone was offended by my use of the word, be it Bachlor, Bachelorette, or Baccalaureate degree, all in use depending on where you go. I thought that I had explained it well. Here is another that I found if I did not infact use it earlier.

Guide to Bachelorette Degree

Saying all that while straying from the main idea of this thread; I have yet to see anyone that is on Section 8 that has a degree of that nature anyway.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:59 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Here is another that I found if I did not infact use it earlier.

Guide to Bachelorette Degree
You do realize that you just posted a link to a random blog by someone who feels it should be called a "bachelorette" degree? If I created a blog saying that unicorns roam my property, would you accept that as proof of existence of unicorns?

Quote:
Although my spelling was off the general idea follows.
You specifically corrected someone on the spelling. You said it was spelled "bachelorette"

Quote:
The point being that someone was offended by my use of the word, be it Bachlor, Bachelorette, or Baccalaureate degree, all in use depending on where you go.
Just because someone uses a word, does not make it a correct usage. As per my original post, can you provide evidence that any institution of education references "bachelorette" on their degrees?

Quote:

Saying all that while straying from the main idea of this thread; I have yet to see anyone that is on Section 8 that has a degree of that nature anyway.
To your original point, The OP in this linked thread apparently was going for her Masters degree while receiving Section 8 housing assistance.

Advice for relocating to DC with Section 8

Old 10-12-2013, 04:15 AM

584 posts, read 1,936,145 times
Quote:
Illness or injury does not stop many from living productive lives. You seem to show a lack of education on the matter. Many people have incomes that are disabled. They have not lost the use of their mind and can still produce an income all on their own. The majority of those that have an education will still have a way to produce an income for themselves. Not all people are willing to jump into the government's idea of a fullfilling life.
many problems can leave a person looking well but prevent them from working ajob for one real reason or another. and if they worked and paid to ss they are in-titled to collect. i worked with the disabled for a short time. so i know that many can not hold a job. after the fact. and they are not a drain on our country. the drain are the children in a pissing contest in dc

Old 10-12-2013, 06:52 AM

137 posts, read 272,951 times
Someone should actually start a poll (I don't know how to do that on here), to reflect education level and section 8.

I have worked in housing and continue to work in social services.

Of my current clients, several have a BA in some field or another. One has a masters degree. 1 just graduated with an AA in medical assisting. A couple others have started college at some point or another. One has an LMT.

All of my clients have a MH diagnosis. Most but not all have SSDI, most but not all have a housing voucher of some sort.

When I worked in housing ( for a company that had 4 buildings with property based subsidies, not portability vouchers), it was very common to have clients who were educated but unable to work full time or at the income level they had expected to.

Last edited by Calliope76; 10-12-2013 at 07:59 AM..

Old 10-12-2013, 09:27 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliope76 View Post
{snip}

Of my current clients, several have a BA in some field or another. One has a masters degree. 1 just graduated with an AA in medical assisting. A couple others have started college at some point or another. One has an LMT.
{snip}
And the rest? What percentage have a college degree? What percentage have GEDs or are high school dropouts?

Old 10-12-2013, 10:07 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
At one time I managed a number of Section 8 rentals...

A few were Seniors and one was a family with where the both parents were disabled... the father was in a wheelchair.

At least 90% where young women with children... not one was or had been married to the kid(s) father.

I was around long enough to see several become Grandmothers at an early age... one became a Grandmother at 31...

She is still on Section 8 and now is raising her 3 Grandchildren because the 26 year old Mom is on drugs.

It really becomes a way of life... it is the rare person that ever leaves the program... I have seen it twice since 1982.

One was a 19 year old that took in her sister's kids when the sister was killed... the 19 year old was in school and moved into the sister's Section 8 house... through much hard work she raised her sisters kids and she became a Registered Nurse... housing really saved those kids and kept them together.

Another was a young lady with a child... father was killed... she became a transit bus driver for the city...

I wish there more sucess stories...

Section 8 is a gateway for about 30 programs in my area... leaving Section 8 means leaving most of the low income programs... it is just too much of a risk for most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting