Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 06:04 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,727 times

Advertisements

A typical day listing one of my rentals, I will get people who email the same listing several times a day not realizing it. I also get the people who missed the fact that I don't allow dogs, and even when I talk to them they have no pets, but when they show up for the tour they tell me they have 6 pit bulls as "service dogs". My favorite has to be the guy who threatened me from his work email because I don't allow dogs. He was quick to call and apologize when I sent the owner of his company the emails and offered to take it public...

Then of course there is the guy who was a child molester and repeatedly lied about not having a criminal record but when I run him, he not only has that but many civil judgments against him from past landlords, absolute lowest credit imaginable, and wants his application fee back because "he has the receipt". No wonder you work at a BBQ joint and have to live with room mates bud.

Don't even get me started with the people who have bankruptcies and I give them a chance, and they flake on the appointment for a tour. When I call them 20 minutes into the appointment, they are like, "Oh, I forgot, what's the address again, I'm leaving now..." and when I tell them I'm not waiting and they lost their chance, they send me an insult filled text message or three calling ME a jackass, as if it's going to change my mind...

I especially like it when people try to argue with me and tell me how I should do things. OK, when you have a few million in real estate and a six figure salary from your job and a college degree, I will take advice from you...But when you are working at McDonalds and are renting with room mates, have bad credit and no money, I'm not really convinced that you're the person I should be taking advice from...

Old 08-04-2016, 06:18 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
You would be surprised How many College Grads are working at McD and other Min Wage jobs. It maybe Wise of you to listen to them instead of putting them down. My gf son works at a Coffee shop he has several college degrees. My gf 4th job choice in her life was working at McDs Her 1st choice was 20 years as an RN in a ER. She also was a LL & rented out several homes. Another friend was physiatrists for 10 years before she went to work a Walmart. She too rents out several homes. Her DH quit working to become Handiman after being a Accountant for years.

Maybe you really should learn to listen.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:21 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
LOL sounds like my last rental go around. I have not had anyone send me hate mail or hate text. I screen over the phone a lot now. It really cuts down on the unqualified applicants. And, although even the ones that lie and then meet with me (I know some think if they meet with me I will change my mind) tend to come clean when they finally realize I will run their checks. I use Transunion and its ALL on them to pay, complete the inline questionnaire and turn in a filled out application. Most don't bother to turn in anything. I just write down denied due to insufficient information and no application in my renter application book.
I don't care what job people have as long as they can meet my requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
You would be surprised How many College Grads are working at McD and other Min Wage jobs. It maybe Wise of you to listen to them instead of putting them down. My gf son works at a Coffee shop he has several college degrees. My gf 4th job choice in her life was working at McDs Her 1st choice was 20 years as an RN in a ER. She also was a LL & rented out several homes. Another friend was physiatrists for 10 years before she went to work a Walmart. She too rents out several homes. Her DH quit working to become Handiman after being a Accountant for years.

Are these people doing these entry level jobs because they can't find jobs in their field or are they independently rich philanthropists? I dont know ANYONE who has a college degree and chooses to work at a coffee shop or Mickey Dee. OP has his qualifiers for tenants. I do too. I'm not going to rent to anyone who can't meet my requirements. I don't much care what they do for a job. But people working at coffee shops or fast food probably can't pay the rent which means they wouldn't qualify.. The person holding a degree doesn't mean anything when it comes to qualifying. A degree on a wall doesn't mean rent is paid

Last edited by Electrician4you; 08-04-2016 at 06:34 PM..

Old 08-04-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:

It would be wise to listen to a child molester with multiple civil judgments against them, a 480 credit score, making minimum wage at a BBQ joint, when I make 154K a year from my job, well over 200K with the rentals, not counting unrealized capital gains (closer to 350K combined), with a college degree???: rolleyes:

Listen, just because your whatever has a college degree means nothing. I know many people with a college degree working low end jobs in their 50's. The point you seem to miss is I'm a financially successful person...not just another person with a degree. I doubt you understand no matter how much I explain it to you, lol.

You're right, I should learn to listen, starting with your brilliant advice....

Edited to add: My reptuation comments are blowing up from this post. That's how "funny" your "advice" to listen is...

I suspect you are one of the very people this post is about....

Last edited by Tac-Sea; 08-04-2016 at 06:33 PM..

Old 08-04-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
LOL sounds like my last rental go around. I have not had anyone send me hate mail or hate text. I screen over the phone a lot now. It really cuts down on the unqualified applicants. And, although even the ones that lie and then meet with me (I know some think if they meet with me I will change my mind) tend to come clean when they finally realize I will run their checks. I use Transunion and its ALL on them to pay, complete the inline questionnaire and turn in a filled out application. Most don't bother to turn in anything. I just write down denied due to insufficient information and no application in my renter application book.
I don't care what job people have as long as they can meet my requirements.

Are these people doing these entry level jobs because they can't find jobs in their field or are they independently rich philanthropists? I dont know ANYONE who has a college degree and chooses to work at a coffee shop or Mickey Dee. OP has his qualifiers for tenants. I do too. I'm not going to rent to anyone who can't meet my requirements. I don't much care what they do for a job. But people working at coffee shops or fast food prop ably can't okay the rent. The person holding a degree doesn't mean anything when it comes to qualifying
Besides listing the screening qualifications in my listings, I screen on the phone and via email. I have a boiler plate thing I send out. Yet people are SOOOO dumb they cannot read past a 3rd grade level. I guess that's why they are renting with 3 room mates...

As far as the Harvard MBA's working at the coffee stand, don't worry, I took the previous posters advice. It sounds like good advice. If I ever give up my 154K a year job as a Lead Software Engineer and sell my rentals, I will be sure to take their advice on how I too can be a successful Barista....Some people....lol.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:46 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Both that have Rentals PAID CASH for them. But as always YOU didn't READ All that I said. I Not repeating myself. BUT You do seem to have problems on your end since You attract Bad tenants.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:19 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Both that have Rentals PAID CASH for them. But as always YOU didn't READ All that I said. I Not repeating myself. BUT You do seem to have problems on your end since You attract Bad tenants.
Ok so these people have paid for rentals, cash flowing AND they choose to work at a coffee shop or fast food? Seriously? Why?

Not sure if it's directed at me but I don't choose who contacts me to see a rental I advertise. I have to treat everyone equally. People apply. I know nothing about them when they initially contact me. I don't call them idiots, stupid or anything. I don't care enough to form a personal opinion of their mental capacity. All I form is a decision on wether or not they can meet requirements. There are a few times when I SMH after hanging up and I actually feel I lost a few brain cells from that conversation. But whatever I move on and that's the end of it.

I had a guy one time who wanted to move out here and wanted me to let him stay in a rental for free. "I mean nobody is living there". I thought it was a joke. But the guy was serious.

Tac-Sea is right. Some people that apply CANNOT fill out a application correctly and in some cases legible. Plenty of times where I denied a aplication simply because I couldn't decipher the finger spasms of the applicant. When you can't write a phone number to the point I can decipher it I'm not going to play Sherlock Holmes to get the info

Old 08-04-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
They paid cash for renatls as a Barista??

BTW, two of my rentals are worth over half a mil and are paid off. Your little Baristas that allegedly have paid off properties in BFE... Did you really expect us to believe you? Talk about someone not thinking past their nose. Tell me how these young college educated folks bought these expensive properties (allegedly) working such low end jobs...Please, we are all dying to laugh at your ridiculous posts...

Old 08-04-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Ok so these people have paid for rentals, cash flowing AND they choose to work at a coffee shop or fast food? Seriously? Why?

Not sure if it's directed at me but I don't choose who contacts me to see a rental I advertise. I have to treat everyone equally. People apply. I know nothing about them when they initially contact me. I don't call them idiots, stupid or anything. I don't care enough to form a personal opinion of their mental capacity. All I form is a decision on wether or not they can meet requirements. There are a few times when I SMH after hanging up and I actually feel I lost a few brain cells from that conversation. But whatever I move on and that's the end of it.

I had a guy one time who wanted to move out here and wanted me to let him stay in a rental for free. "I mean nobody is living there". I thought it was a joke. But the guy was serious.

Tac-Sea is right. Some people that apply CANNOT fill out a application correctly and in some cases legible. Plenty of times where I denied a aplication simply because I couldn't decipher the finger spasms of the applicant. When you can't write a phone number to the point I can decipher it I'm not going to play Sherlock Holmes to get the info
Yeah, she has Barista relatives that have paid off rentals. What she didn't tell us is that they are roller skate rentals, not houses worth over half a mil that are paid off, let alone the mortgaged 3/4 million dollar houses I own lol.

What a JOKE.

BTW I can only imagine what kind of job the LOSER who tried to live in your rental for free had. Barista maybe??

Old 08-04-2016, 08:49 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times
I think that most of what you said you have been dealing with is probably pretty annoying. A few points, though:

-It is possible to accidentally call or email the same landlord more than once. When you're hunting for a rental, you might check multiple websites, newspapers, etc. Sometimes, listings are written different ways on different sites and newspapers.

-When we were renting, I did respond to a "no pets" listing (but did explain the pet situation off the bat.) The landlord liked us and was willing to take a chance, and it all worked out well all around. I guess some people are stricter about their requirements than others, but someone like me (who knew I qualified in all other ways, knew my pets are well-behaved and was willing to make a significant pet deposit) who is having a tough time finding a pet-friendly rental might just be reaching for straws to see if it works out. It did for me.

Likewise, someone who has a criminal record but who has excellent credit, a good job and great references might take a chance, or someone who has a low credit score due to medical bills or something but has a great income and good landlord references might hope that someone will let them move in. I can understand why that is annoying, but you do have to understand that you are "selling" something that people need -- a place to live. I'm NOT saying you have to or should let them move in, but I think you should try to think about why people might apply for a rental that they might not qualify for...

That said, some of the situations that you described sound ridiculous, and I'm sure they were a real pain to deal with. I will say, though, that maybe you should think about toning the condescension and rudeness down a notch. You don't sound like a very fun person to be around, as a landlord or otherwise. No one likes a braggart or someone who thinks they are better than everyone. It sounds like you have worked hard and are successful...good for you, but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
It would be wise to listen to a child molester with multiple civil judgments against them, a 480 credit score, making minimum wage at a BBQ joint, when I make 154K a year from my job, well over 200K with the rentals, not counting unrealized capital gains (closer to 350K combined), with a college degree???: rolleyes:
Quote:
Yet people are SOOOO dumb they cannot read past a 3rd grade level. I guess that's why they are renting with 3 room mates...

If I ever give up my 154K a year job as a Lead Software Engineer and sell my rentals, I will be sure to take their advice on how I too can be a successful Barista....Some people....lol.
Quote:
They paid cash for renatls as a Barista??

BTW, two of my rentals are worth over half a mil and are paid off. Your little Baristas that allegedly have paid off properties in BFE...
Quote:
Yeah, she has Barista relatives that have paid off rentals. What she didn't tell us is that they are roller skate rentals, not houses worth over half a mil that are paid off, let alone the mortgaged 3/4 million dollar houses I own lol.

What a JOKE.

BTW I can only imagine what kind of job the LOSER who tried to live in your rental for free had. Barista maybe??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting