Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 09:01 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 314patel View Post
What I mean by this is that after conducting calculations based on the square footage, I would be paying approximately $8 more. I offered to pay double that, but he was seeking $90 per month. It's simply impossible in my financial situation to do that.

The relevance of my agreement with the previous roommate is that it was never a problem before. I understand that people are different and value certain amenities differently, but it goes back to the original point I made: We had an agreement. None of the facts changed between now and then, except for the fact that my new roommate wants to renegotiate our agreement.
Thanks for answering. Seems that maybe you'll be either changing this arrangement or looking for another roommate when your lease is up. Good luck to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 10:18 AM

5 posts, read 10,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Except for their frame of reference or at least their perception about parity/equity.
But is that at all reasonable? I would say no. It would be similar to me deciding that I don't want him sitting on my couch anymore and telling him that he needed to pay me for the privilege.

Quote:
It's not at all uncommon for housemates to pay proportionally by room size.
And I have even been in situations where such has been the case. But the fact of the matter is that we had an agreement. Plain and simple. The apartment has not changed and he had the full spectrum of information before any contracts were signed.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:26 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
But is that at all reasonable? I would say no.
But your view of "reasonable" isn't the point... is it?

Keeping an otherwise satisfactory person in place is the point.
And doing so by way of choice & token effort/expense.
Not by threat or coercion but by negotiating a compromise

Old 09-09-2014, 10:31 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,285,556 times
It's not an unreasonable request, if made before you two came to an agreement. It's pretty nervy of him to ask this after he's moved in.

Also, it seems that the amount he wants to pay isn't reasonable.

I don't think I'd agree to this and I certainly wouldn't want to switch rooms. It sucks because it might be awkward living with him now.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:48 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Except for their frame of reference or at least their perception about parity/equity.
So if a tenant rents one of your apartments and, after living there a month, comes to you and says, "Oh, Mr Rational, the bedroom is much smaller than it seemed to be when I looked at the place and I think it's fair you lower the monthly rent by $90', you would say, "No problem, tenant ..."?

Old 09-09-2014, 10:51 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
He was shown the apartment. He was told the rent. He agreed to it.

Yes, it is better to have all financial arrangements in writing. Now you know, for the future.

My suggestion is to tell him that he can find a suitable replacement to take over his share of the lease and then he can leave and go find a bigger room for $90 a month less. There is a very good chance that the room he rented with you is the best deal he could find. If a better deal were out there, he would have rented that and not yours.

It's one of my personal pet peeves when a person negotiates a deal, all is agreed to and after it is all settled and they have taken possession of what they agreed to, they immediately set out to sweeten the deal to their own benefit. If he didn't like the room at the price, he should have moved on and kept looking. It's too late to renegotiate.

If he'd offered $90 less before you accepted him, I suspect you would have rejected him. He knows that so has waited until he has moved in to try to get the rent reduced.

It's very likely that it is not just you he has tried to manipulate. If he does it often, he is accustomed to being told "no". so tell him no, in a very calm way and stick to it. He'll whine for a bit, but he already knows that he agree to that room at that price.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:54 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
So if a tenant rents one of your apartments and, after living there a month, comes to you and says,
"Oh, Mr Rational, the apartment is much smaller than it seemed to be when I looked at the place
and I think it's fair you lower the monthly rent by $90', you would say, "No problem, tenant ..."?
Nope. But that isn't the situation. Is it?

If I had taken in a housemate and quoted them a fixed price deal I'd say no too.
But I've not had that issue come up before either.
Any other immaterial examples to explore?
---

Back on point:
Like our lady with the 'special' paint job I suspect this OP also wasn't quite as clear
about the nature of the deal and where the lines are drawn as they think they have been.
When after the dust settles and a bit of buyers remorse has a chance to percolate
and objections or preferences or other observations become articulated...
you deal with what you're presented. No. You don't have to like it.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:55 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Adding, I would tell him that I got the bigger room because I was here first and that is not negotiable. Sort of like the parental, "because I said so, that's why".

By the way don't be surprised if this guy tries to help himself to your groceries. He's already trying to shift his cost of living to someone else.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:59 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
You may as well start learning to compromise now, as that's how the rest of the world works. Switch rooms at the halfway point in the lease. It's a pain, but it's not unfair. When the lease is up, get a different roommate if you like, but during the term of the lease it won't hurt you to compromise some to keep peace.

For the record, if this is the situation that you two agreed upon, then he should stick to it throughout the lease, but in real life we learn to make concessions at times when it beats the alternative.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:02 AM

575 posts, read 1,468,534 times
Quote:
But is that at all reasonable? I would say no. It would be similar to me deciding that I don't want him sitting on my couch anymore and telling him that he needed to pay me for the privilege.

And I have even been in situations where such has been the case. But the fact of the matter is that we had an agreement. Plain and simple. The apartment has not changed and he had the full spectrum of information before any contracts were signed.
A $20/month difference is reasonable. A $90/month difference is not. Tell him if he's so worried about it, you'll switch him rooms and HE can pay $90/month more than you do.

I think you're being nice by agreeing to even pay $20 more a month after you already had a deal negotiated. I certainly wouldn't have because a deal is a deal. He should have brought up his concerns prior to signing a lease with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting