Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 12:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,462 times

Advertisements

I live in an apartment complex in Moreno Valley. I have been living here for almost two years. My lease is up in March (2014).

My apartment is in the very front of the complex by the rental office.

I had a neighbor, he just recently packed up and moved 10/15/14, that lived above me for a short time that would come down to my apartment and bang on my door swearing that he heard loud noise.

This neighbor constantly smoked marajuana on his porch so that if my windows are opened we got all of it in our apartment. But to each his own I never said anything about this. He could live as he pleases.

He called the rental office and said that my dogs were left on the porch barking all day. This was not true my dogs are never left on my porch because I live on the ground floor.

The rental office gave me a call about the complaint and I invited them to send someone around to check for themselves randomly that my dogs were not left on the porch unattended. As I mentioned, I have been living here for some time, with no complaints.

He came down one time at 10:30 at night banging loudly saying that he hears an alarm go off every morning at 2:00 am and he was just coming to tell me to shut it off in advance. I informed him that there was no alarm but he stood there insisting that there was an alarm and refused to leave my door.

I reported this incident to Management. The Assistant Manager said that she would speak to him and they would figure out where the noise came from.

The neighbor from upstairs came banging on my door once again but this time after midnight. I did not open my door as I was home alone. He said my tv was too loud. Now, mind you, my windows were rarely if ever left open because of his exotic cigarettes neither were his windows ever opened. I asked him to leave but he remained at the door. I called a family member to inform them that this neighbor was at my door again they told me to hang up and call the cops. I did, the police could not do anything as he said the neighbor was complaining about me. I asked him if he heard any noise. He said no but I could have turned it down before he got there.

The neighbor told the police that we were friendly and he thought it was okay that he came down and knocked. I informed the police that was not the truth.

The police settled it by telling him not to come back down and by telling me to turn down the TV if it was too loud.

I told the police that the neighbor had been warned by the rental office not to come down to my apartment again and that I was asleep before he came and the tv was not up loud.

The police left without taking a report.

I called the building security and told them the whole story and asked if the could drive by through the night to check around my apartment.

The next day I called the office and reported the incident. I spoke to the same Assistant Manager that I spoke to about the last incident. She said they would look into it as she told me previously.

I was angry that this incident was still occurring and opted to speak with the Manager. I kept calling the office but the Assistant Manger kept telling me the Manager was not in.

Around midday I walked over to the rental office. The assistant Manager was talking fast and very nervous. She told me again that the Manager was not available to speak to me.

Just as I turned to leave the Manager walked into the office. I introduced myself. And she informed me that she knew who I was.

She invited me into her office and offered me a guest chair. I sat down and asked where she wanted me to start. She looked at me very puzzled. And asked what I meant were there other incidents. It was at that moment that I knew that the Assistant Manager never told her the whole story or most of it for that matter.

I told her of the many incidents and she seemed shocked and asked me who on her Staff had I reported this too. I told her the Assistant Manager and one of the rental agents.

She assured me that she would take care of it and gave me one of her business card so that I can contact her personally.

After me reporting the incidents to the Manager I have experienced the most harassment ever.

I received a notice on my door stating that I was leaving dog waste around the building without picking it up. I called the rental office and asked why I received the notice. The rental Agent told me that one of their Staff members claimed they saw me not pick it up. I told her that it was not true. I invited her to have that Staff member that claimed they saw me take a pic or video if they actually saw it.

I was awaiting a package in the mail with an expensive item in it. All packages go through our rental office and we must sign to get them. The post office verified that the package was delivered but the office claimed it was not received.

I was renting a parking garage for $100 extra per month that I never used. I decided to remove it from my lease and gave notice in August. The rental office did not remove it from my September rent or my October rent. I had to write an email as proof that 2 months had gone by even after I signed a new lease without the garage on it that the $100 was still not removed from my rent and I was overpaying.

Then I started noticing that every time I stepped out to walk my dogs I was being followed by a particular Maintenance man. It did not matter if I walked them at 3:00 - 3:30 - 4:15 or whatever time I walked them this person appeared. At first I ignored him I thought it was chance. But he became more aggressive and was coming so close to me at times I turned and was started.

I walk in the morning and he showed up on the outside of the building in his cart riding slowly behind me until I heard his motor and when I turned he was so close he could have collided into me. I was startled and moved to the side to let him by. He laughed and drove past me only to stop a few feet before me and stop his cart again to pretend to pick something out of the bushes. As I walk closer towards him he moved the cart again I towards the center of the island by the building intercom. He then waited until I got closer again then he moved the cart to the side walk where he knew I was going to walk past. He stopped the cart and got out facing me as I walked by. I ignored him and walked to my apartment.

Twice I came from my apartment and he startled me by riding slowly behind my car to ensure I see him everytime.

The first time I was leaving the drivers side and walking to my trunk. He drove up quickly and slowed down to a snails pace as he past the rear of my car and snickered.

The second time I came out got into my car and he quickly drove his cart to the end of my car and slowed down to a snails pace behind my car so I can see him. As I put the car I reverse I put my foot on the accelerator then I noticed him and had to hit the breaks. He had to swerve to avoid being hit.

Most days when I am walking my dogs he will locate us speed up until he gets to where we are and slow down very slowly so that he can ensure that he is being seen.

I feel harassed - watched - monitored.

I have never been late with my rent or had any problems before that tenant that moved above me came to the building.

The tenant before him was the building Manager and she never had any complaints about me or my animals.

I have never had any issues to speak of in any of my residences.

What do you think is going on?

Here is what I think, I think that the Assistant Manager got in trouble for not reporting the incidences that occurred with my upstairs neighbor and is asking her friends to annoy me so that I will break my lease or feel uncomfortable and leave when my lease is to be renewed.

She is not friendly anymore. She turns her head if she sees me in the parking lot. She does not speak as she use to.

She is good friends with her maintenance guys and she allows them to hang out in the clubhouse with her and the other employees all day instead of working. Hence, many tenants complaining about maintenance doing a half or incomplete job when they are called.

I have started video taping them following me in case I will need evidence later.

When they saw me video taping they stopped their cart and parked in front of a car far off but I stood there until they had no choice but to pass me.

They rushed into the office very much thrown off their game.

After today's harassment I marched into the rental office right after them. There were 2 maintenance guys and the Assistant Manager.

When they saw me the blood left their faces and the Assistant Manager hid in her office.

I asked one of the guys for the number to their. Corporate office and he said he did not know it maybe the Assistant Manager knew it.

After what seemed like forever she nervously came from her office and began nervously chattering. She said she did not have the number to the Corporate office.

I asked for the Managers number and she said the Manager was away on business. She asked if there was a problem and she could help. I informed her that I would email the Manager for the Corporate office number and thanked her. As I was leaving I turned to face my harasser. He was at one of the desks. He held his head down and hid his head with the monitor.

After reading my story what do you think I can do about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 12:58 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
I think you ticked them off. Oy.

I dont have advice but their behavior is petty and im willing to bet the LL just wants peace and doesnt want to get involved in petty things.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:12 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
When does your lease expire? March 2014 or 2015? At any rate, I don't see you living there past expiration. I know that doesn't seem fair, but you ruffled some feathers (more than one) and now they pretty much are trying to gather documentation on you. It's sad, but it what it is and if you get corporate involved, you're definitely not getting renewed.

I'm not saying what's going on is right, it's not (based on only hearing one side of the story). If your dogs were really left on the patio unattended, they would hear them carrying on and so would your other neighbors. There's nothing wrong with your dog being on the patio as long as it's not used a 'crate' area and you're leaving them for 8 hrs a day.

Do your best to work with the local manager and leave the head honchos out of it.....once you **** off the manager, you're done for.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:12 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
I agree with Kim. Stick with the manager. You will have problems in the future getting repairs done so be prepared for that. It is possible that your making it clear to this "group" that you will be contacting the manager is going to put a stop to the harrassment.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:42 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
When I receive subpar service or worse I will not patronize the business one moment than necessary...

My suggestion is to vote with your feet... why add to improving their bottom line?

From a management point of view... we are trained to respond to problems... things like a leaky pipe, a door that sticks, etc... arbitration/mediation/therapist are not generally in the job description.

Hate to say it... you are probably viewed as more of a problem than the other individual... I doubt he as been videotaping anyone.

Sometimes the most expeditious way to deal with a problem is with a clean slate... no right or wrong... just start over.

Life too short to deal with non-sense.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:35 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
OP, you did invite management to watch you to see if you were picking up after your dog. It would appear that they took you up on that offer.

Why don't you just communicate with the manager from now on, and let her know that you believe the maintenance people have been following you to make sure that you have been picking up after your dog, and that's fine, as you had even suggested that they do so to be sure you do pick up after your dog. But, you think enough is enough, and you're starting to feel kind of stalked by them, as they follow you around constantly.

In fact, put that in writing. Address it to the manager, and send it to her, and attach a copy to her business email, in case the assist mgr decides not to forward her mail to her from you.

Something like this:

Dear Manager,

You maintenance man has been following me around constantly, driving very slowly behind me when I take out my dog. I know that I did offer to have you validate the fact that I am picking up after my dog. However, I think there should be enough reports by the maintenance man now to verify that I am doing so. As he follows me around constantly whenever I take my dog out, no matter which route I take, I am beginning to feel somewhat harassed. Therefore I am asking you to please advise your staff to allow me to walk my dog in peace when I leave my apartment from now on.

I hope things are cleared up at this point, and that we have no further issues.

Sincerely,

You

I'd leave it at that. If you mention the assist mgr again, you may end up looking like a problem tenant, instead of the assist mgr looking like a bad employee. I wouldn't be surprised if the assist mgr is on her way out, if she's really that bad. She's probably trying to paint you as a crazy problem tenant. So, don't look like one. Videotaping her staff makes you look nuts, IMO.

Imagine how all info is received by the manager. You want to look like a sane, easy-going tenant. Rather than go off about how you feel like that entire staff is against you (even if they are), will make you look nuts. If you mention that the staff has been following you around, which you agreed to, but you'd now like it to stop - will sound sane, and give the manager a reason to ask them why they are continually following you around. Do you see the difference? This scenario gives the manager the opportunity to come to the conclusion that her staff may be harassing you - rather than defending her staff if you accuse them.

I hope that makes sense. Good luck.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 11-02-2014 at 11:44 AM..

Old 11-06-2014, 07:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,462 times
Thank for all of your advice I appreciate it. I have contacted my local Fair Housing Agency and was told to write certified letters to the Manager and the Corporate office. I sent these letters yesterday. Wish me luck. I realize that they look at me as the problem but what motivates me is I am not. I have done nothing but report a neighbor that has since moved out that was erroneously complaining about things that never happened. My dogs are never left on the porch alone. They are only on the porch when I am there washing them. I never leave waste I take baggies with me on our walks - always. My windows are shut at night there was no way that he was hearing an alarm at 2:00am because there is no alarm. The Assistant Manager is obviously known for this kind of behavior. I just recently read reviews on this building which I should have done before I got here. The Staff rates the lowest on the reviews there are many that have had run INS with this Staff doing unthinkable and unreasonable things. At this point it is about how myself and others in the future are being handled by this Team. No one deserves to be treated like this. Especially if they have not done ANYTHING. If I were wrong I would back down and take it because I have no proof. They have harassed me for over 2 months I guess so that I would feel uncomfortable enough to just leave.

I mentioned the reviews for this building above but from what I can tell other people have been mishandled as well and some have mentioned this Assistant Manager by name in their reviews. I would venture to think that the Manager has to kind of know if people are posting these kind of reviews that is another reason I need to now go to the Corporate office what if she is allowing this?

I actually have no other recourse than to report as they will build a case to make everyone think that this is me causing trouble.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:59 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Fortunately for you, your lease is up soon and you can move. moving will take care of all of your problems with management.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:19 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
I would find a new place to live.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:42 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyty4230 View Post

Then I started noticing that every time I stepped out to walk my dogs I was being followed by a particular Maintenance man. It did not matter if I walked them at 3:00 - 3:30 - 4:15 or whatever time I walked them this person appeared. At first I ignored him I thought it was chance. But he became more aggressive and was coming so close to me at times I turned and was started.
You could figure out what time his shift for the day ends, and then start your walk 15 minutes before he is supposed to be done. BUT...you keep walking. Walk for an hour or so, and see if he continues to follow. Walk in circles, keep walking around the block, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
View detailed profiles of: