U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-01-2009, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Back in New York
1,104 posts, read 3,322,085 times
Reputation: 843

Advertisements

New U.S. border rules take effect for land and sea entry - CNN.com

anyone wanna take a guess what the next restriction that will be put on us in post 9/11 America? Maybe passports will be needed to travel state to state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2009, 09:09 AM
 
8,649 posts, read 14,872,641 times
Reputation: 4563
How is anyone being harassed by showing their passport to enter the country? It's about time our borders were tightened up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2009, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,505 posts, read 49,557,510 times
Reputation: 24548
I was expecting a set of internal travel documents to be issued that would require you to tell where you lived, where and when you were going and contain a previously obtained permission slip to allow you to travel between the states. Using this system would allow the Cheney government to track terrorists and suspected dissidents. This would allow Homeland Security to more efficiently protect us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2009, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Reputation: 35864
No, that will never happen. All kinds of travel restrictions can be put in place, but there are many thousands of little back roads in the US that cross state lines, and there is no way that those can be patrolled. It would take 156 checkpoints to patrol all the roads from Illinois into Wisconsin.

Who would have thought we'd see the day when a German could go to France with no ID at all, but an American would need a passport to go to Canada.

This new regulation going into effect today is a perfect illustration of how absurd our life has become, and how gullible we all are. What does it say about our government that it took seven years to effect a simple rule that was intended to defend us from capable and disciplined enemies abroad who represented a clear and present danger to the destruction of our liberties and our American way of life? Had they been useful, passports could have been required on 9/12, just by sending out a memo. It took us seven years to do it. We converted to HDTV faster than that. Canada converted to the metric system faster than that.

You know why. Because there was never any real threat, and most sensible people knew it then, and even dumb people know it now, and this is not about security against terrorism or lawn-care aliens. This is about control. It took time to hook up several more acres of computers under the NSA to accommodate the new windfall of details about who you are and what you do. We need fewer Patriot Acts and more patriotic acts, like storming the gates of power and throwing the bastrads out.

Where are the protesters? Instead of burning draft cards, we should be burning Enhanced IDs. Our college campuses have become hotbeds of rest.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-01-2009 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2009, 09:23 AM
 
8,649 posts, read 14,872,641 times
Reputation: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No, that will never happen. All kinds of travel restrictions can be put in place, but there are probably at least a thousand little back roads in the US that cross state lines, and there is no way that those can be patrolled.

You already need a passport (or equivalent) to cash a check. Try and get a bank account without such documentation, or cash a check without a bank account. You can't rent a video without photo ID.

However, this new regulation going into effect today is a perfect illustration of how absurd our life has become. What does it say about our government that it took seven years to effect a simple rule that was intended to defend us from capable and disciplined enemies abroad who represented a clear and present danger to the destruction of our liberties and our American way of life? Passports could have been required on 9/12, just by sending out a memo. It took us seven years to do it.
For the same reason we can't pass the voter ID in Texas, because the liberals seem to not want either one. <<<< Just a guess....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2009, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,194 posts, read 17,689,444 times
Reputation: 7980
It's about time. There's no reason whatsoever that a passport shouldn't be required to enter the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2009, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Reputation: 35864
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It's about time. There's no reason whatsoever that a passport shouldn't be required to enter the country.
How come all the countries in western Europe can think of so many reasons why no passport is required? Belgium borders on four countreis. No passport needed anywhere. On many roads, there isn't even a sign saying "Entering Belgium". But, of course, Belgium has no freedom, so nobody hates Belgium, because terrorists only hate freedom.

Isn't it ironic, that General Motors became a nationalized US-Canada consortium, on the same day that their workers were required to get a passport in order to go and shake hands with each other.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-01-2009 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2009, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,194 posts, read 17,689,444 times
Reputation: 7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How come all the countries in western Europe can think of so many reasons why no passport is required? Belgium borders on four countreis. No passport needed anywhere. On many roads, there isn't even a sign saying "Entering Belgium". But, of course, Belgium has no freedom, so nobody hates Belgium, because terrorists only hate freedom.
When are you people going to realize that the United States is not Europe? There can be no comparison between the two on most things, because they are so vastly different politically, economically, geographically and culturally.

Look at a map sometime. Many of our states are larger than many of their countries...

If you feel that you must make a comparison, your perspective has to be different for the comparison to even begin to have any legitimacy. It's pretty obvious that Europe is trying to emulate the United States in many regards - unified currency, free travel between states, umbrella government & laws... Do you need a passport to cross the border between Kansas and Oklahoma?

Now that your straw man has been addressed, explain why we shouldn't make sure that the people entering our country are doing it legally. Oh, and by the way, pointing your finger east and saying, "Because they do it that way" isn't a valid answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2009, 10:29 AM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,321,196 times
Reputation: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
How is anyone being harassed by showing their passport to enter the country? It's about time our borders were tightened up.

Agreed. Now we need to start simply deporting anyone found to be here illegally immediately upon identifying them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2009, 10:30 AM
 
339 posts, read 627,385 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
How is anyone being harassed by showing their passport to enter the country? It's about time our borders were tightened up.
Some people feel harassed if a person wearing a uniform looks at them, smiles and waves. Read some of these posts. If you allow x, the police will be kicking down your door. If you allow y, you will be taken away for re-education. SOME people are not exactly living in the common sense world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top