Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 02:16 AM

227 posts, read 535,656 times

Advertisements

This oughta get some real traction. I thought Gay Movement was'nt interested in shoving their agenda down anyone's throat through the school system?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Justice Institute
SACRAMENTO --- Just before a midnight deadline, Governor Schwarzenegger late yesterday signed a flurry of bills into law, including a highly controversial bill that will declare every May 22 as "Harvey Milk Day" and strongly encourage schools to celebrate the gay icon.
Opposing Views: OPINION:"Gay Day" In Schools Officially Signed Into Calif. Law (http://www.opposingviews.com/articles/opinion-gay-day-in-schools-officially-signed-into-calif-law - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 02:17 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona1 View Post
This oughta get some real traction. I thought Gay Movement was'nt interested in shoving their agenda down anyone's throat through the school system? Opposing Views: OPINION:"Gay Day" In Schools Officially Signed Into Calif. Law (http://www.opposingviews.com/articles/opinion-gay-day-in-schools-officially-signed-into-calif-law - broken link)
If they get a gay day then we get a straight day.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
If they get a gay day then we get a straight day.
Well the news should be entertaining for a while anyway!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFChronicle
The bill signed by Schwarzenegger encourages public schools in the state to conduct lessons "remembering the life of Harvey Milk, recognizing his accomplishments and familiarizing pupils with the contributions he made to this state."
Governor OKs Harvey Milk Day, marriage bill

Old 10-15-2009, 02:27 AM

136 posts, read 235,485 times
Quote:
This oughta get some real traction. I thought Gay Movement was'nt interested in shoving their agenda down anyone's throat through the school system? Opposing Views: OPINION:"Gay Day" In Schools Officially Signed Into Calif. Law (http://www.opposingviews.com/articles/opinion-gay-day-in-schools-officially-signed-into-calif-law - broken link)

It is called "Harvey Milk Day", not "Gay Day". I see no problem with this. Harvey Milk was a great champion for a segment of our population that wanted fair treatment in our society. Just as Martin Luther King was. Just as Abraham Lincoln was.

We need to celebrate leaders like this. People like this help improve the idea of "equality" in our society. You do not have to be "Gay" to respect some of the things Harvey Milk did.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBurgBK View Post
It is called "Harvey Milk Day", not "Gay Day". I see no problem with this. Harvey Milk was a great champion for a segment of our population that wanted fair treatment in our society. Just as Martin Luther King was. Just as Abraham Lincoln was.

We need to celebrate leaders like this. People like this help improve the idea of "equality" in our society. You do not have to be "Gay" to respect some of the things Harvey Milk did.
Yeah, but that Milkman ain't after mommy, he wants your daddy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair
How long before they sue to force schools to teach this..Im guessing very soon.And probably not much later, schools will lose funding if they don't teach this.I guess this commercial was a lie.

YouTube - Prop 8 does not affect school kids!

Old 10-15-2009, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but that Milkman ain't after mommy, he wants your daddy.
How juvenile.

Let me guess, homosexuals make you feel uncomfortable? Because you aren't quite sure you are heterosexual yet? Does the Bible tell you what is right and wrong?

Old 10-15-2009, 02:48 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,648,007 times
Quote:
This oughta get some real traction. I thought Gay Movement was'nt interested in shoving their agenda down anyone's throat through the school system?

It's Harvey Milk Day. It's just like Martin L. King Day, President's Day, C. Chavez Day, Lunar New Year, Columbus Day, and the other holidays. It's celebrating the important things that person did.

MLK: Civil Rights Movement and Black Empowerment

President's Day: Remembrance of the 2 presidents that changed our history

C.C Day: Worker rights/Hispanic Empowerment

Lunar New Year: Asian Celebration/Empowerment

Now--> Harvey Milk represented the Gay Rights Movement/Gay Empowerment

Old 10-15-2009, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBurgBK View Post
How juvenile.

Let me guess, homosexuals make you feel uncomfortable? Because you aren't quite sure you are heterosexual yet? Does the Bible tell you what is right and wrong?
Yeah you wish it was juvenile. Do your post reading history there slick. I'd never advocate anyone's religion or Homo agenda get pushed in any school. Here's a post by a GAY C.D. member who I happen to agree with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalTyger
I'm gay and I agree with you. My ex boyfriend told me that the hidden agenda behind Prop 8 was that they were going to try to pull this kind of crap in the schools. Well, even without it, it appears it's happening anyway. Even though he is gay, he is very conservative, and I didn't believe him. It turns out he was right after all.I'm all for tolerance, but I don't think this kind of stuff needs to be required teaching in schools.I wonder how much time they spend on teaching the Constitution?

Old 10-15-2009, 02:53 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,648,007 times
Quote:
Yeah you wish it was juvenile. Do your post reading history there slick. I'd never advocate anyone's religion or Homo agenda get pushed in any school. Here's a post by a GAY C.D. member who I happen to agree with.
He's encouraging it. Not forcing it. There's a difference.

In the 21st century, you'd think there be more tolerance, but racism, discrimination, prejudice, etc is still around Wouldn't you want schools to teach children that it's not okay to do above things?

Old 10-15-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
To pull what "kinda crap"? To have a holiday named after Harvey Milk?

Are you afraid that if kids hear about homosexuals that everyone will become a homosexual? I am sure you are aware of the various ways to murder someone, how many people have you murdered? I watched horror movies as a kid. I played violent video games. I learned about death and war in my school. Want to know something? I've never committed a violent crime in my life.

Isn't it weird how having information doesn't automatically mean someone will utilize the information against their will?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates