Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 03:48 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times

Advertisements

Just venting...

My folks own a rental house. Their tenants have been there for 4+ years. First year was a lease...been month-to-month since then. There is a clause in the lease that gives the tenants first option to buy if my folk's decide to put the house on the market (that might also be a state regulation, but that doesn't pertain to this anyway).

In another couple months, my husband and I will be looking to rent a place (just moved back to the state and are temporarily living at my parent's house). The idea of renting from them came up. My mom is under the impression that she only has 2 options with the current renters: 1. Tell them she is putting the house on the market and have them try and secure the funds to purchase it (as stated in the lease that expired 3 years ago). She is sure they can't get funding and will then have to move out, and we could move in. 2. Evict them.

Maybe I've been hanging around here too much ...but even I know that the obvious other option is to give them a 30 day notice to vacate. Pretty simple really. We moved on to talking about different things, but I may have to educate my mom on how to nicely tell tenants that they need to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 04:09 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Official in writting notice to vacate...

Last edited by Katie1; 11-11-2014 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-11-2014, 04:55 PM

Office? They aren't looking to move, she is considering telling them to vacate the home.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:02 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
She Cant just tell them has to be in writing & mailed with return receipt she can prove she sent it & she needs to keep a copy.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:15 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
I was having trouble deciphering Katie's original post, also, but I see she changed it.

What she is trying to say is what you have already realized. If the lease is month to month, send them written notice of non-renewal.

To be nice, I'd give them as much notice as possible. Worst case scenario, they find something sooner (tough at Christmas time, not a lot of rentals are available that time of year, by design), and the house sits vacant for a month. If you only give them 30 days notice, worst case scenario, they can't find anything because of it being the holidays and you are homeless until they do, or your parents actually do have to evict (and you are homeless while they do that).

Don't let her lie to them, and make them jump through hoops talking to lenders and wasting their time and money. That's just cruel.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:09 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,009 times
First rule of being a landlord is never rent to Family or friends. Second is never rent to someone you will think twice about evicting them.

Number one rule to be a good son never put your mom in that situation to have to make that discussion.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
First rule of being a landlord is never rent to Family or friends. Second is never rent to someone you will think twice about evicting them.

Number one rule to be a good son never put your mom in that situation to have to make that discussion.
Ahahaha . Gender confusion at its finest.

I haven't put my mom in any situation. We moved back home to help out mom and dad during a hard time. We will be looking for a place to rent in a couple months. She brought up their rental house. I did not put her in any situation (I'm guessing that is the word you were going for when you typed "discussion".)

Thanks for your constructive help anyway. .

Old 11-11-2014, 10:25 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,526 times
Your parents can give their month to month tenants 20 days notice to move in the state of Washington with no reason. With the exception of Seattle. For properties in Seattle the landlord has to have a just cause to terminate the month to month lease.

But really? They have been there 4 years. I think you would be happier not renting from family. It is a disaster waiting to happen.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:28 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
Ahahaha . Gender confusion at its finest.

I haven't put my mom in any situation. We moved back home to help out mom and dad during a hard time. We will be looking for a place to rent in a couple months. She brought up their rental house. I did not put her in any situation (I'm guessing that is the word you were going for when you typed "discussion".)

Thanks for your constructive help anyway. .
At the top of the real estate/renting forum there is a sticky that has landlord/renter laws for all areas.
Perhaps find the one for your state/area, print it out and give it to your Mother so she can read what she has to or can do legally if she chooses to have the current renters move out.

I hope all is well with your parents soon and things work out as you all want them to.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:07 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
Your parents can give their month to month tenants 20 days notice to move in the state of Washington with no reason. With the exception of Seattle. For properties in Seattle the landlord has to have a just cause to terminate the month to month lease.

But really? They have been there 4 years. I think you would be happier not renting from family. It is a disaster waiting to happen.

My thoughts exactly. Why get rid of a perfectly good long time tenant?? We know business with family and friends never work out and the sad part is, the perfectly good tenant is getting screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting