Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 09:48 PM

3 posts, read 17,946 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm a first time poster, and have been going back and forth over this situation for awhile. I'll try to keep this brief. Any helpful advice or tips are much appreciated!

Basic issue: I am planning to have my girlfriend move into my apartment with me in about a month. As of now, I'm not planning to tell management about it because I'm almost positive it won't be allowed under any circumstances. We're planning to live together at my place for about 4-5 months (until my lease runs out basically, at which point we hope to move into a place together legitimately).
I know that this is a breach of contract and I could possibly be evicted for this.
I'm looking for advice on how not to get caught and evicted by management primarily. (Not on whether moving in with my gf is a good idea or not).

Details:
I live in a studio apartment, and from my understanding of my lease and building policy, I'm the only one allowed to live here because I'm the tenant. The building is a corporate owned student housing apartment complex (only college students are allowed to live there). There are around 400 residents, and multiple apartment types.

As far as avoiding getting caught, here are the factors I'm dealing with: 1) Her car will have paid parking some place else; 2) there is a three consecutive day limit per month on overnight guests, but she's stayed here 12 nights in a row before blatantly with no problems (it doesn't appear that this is policed really at all, and others have indicated they've had people stay with them longer); 3) the landlord (or repairmen, etc) only enters my apartment with prior notice (usually several days notice by door note as has happened about 4 times, and calling me directly the morning of twice); the people in my building are antisocial beyond belief, and I don't know my neighbors whatsoever (so little chance of them finding out and calling me out to management for being disgruntled at my gf being here or whatever); 5) she doesn't have that much stuff to move in, and I think we can do it in like 2 trips discretely); 6) there are security cameras at every entrance, in and next to every elevator, and next to every staircase entrance; 7) guests don't have to sign in or anything.

What do you guys think? Any tips on avoiding getting caught while she's living here?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 11:27 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
Really Dumb idea! Eviction Will follow you & you have a Very hard time finding a decent place. Why not just find a place together & move.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:50 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
Worst case: they give you 3 days to comply with the lease (move her out) or move out (both of you).

Best case: they don't care and let you get away with it.

Frankly, if it was me, I'd move her in and take my chances. If you ask them straight up, they'll probably say no.

And have a place for her to go if you get a notice.

I managed a building that had a lot of graduate students, and once in a while a lover would move in. As long as there weren't problems, I just looked the other way. But, not all landlords are like I was.

You'll just have to weigh the gamble.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:52 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,393,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwitaplan View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm a first time poster, and have been going back and forth over this situation for awhile. I'll try to keep this brief. Any helpful advice or tips are much appreciated!

Basic issue: I am planning to have my girlfriend move into my apartment with me in about a month. As of now, I'm not planning to tell management about it because I'm almost positive it won't be allowed under any circumstances. We're planning to live together at my place for about 4-5 months (until my lease runs out basically, at which point we hope to move into a place together legitimately).
I know that this is a breach of contract and I could possibly be evicted for this.
I'm looking for advice on how not to get caught and evicted by management primarily. (Not on whether moving in with my gf is a good idea or not).

Details:
I live in a studio apartment, and from my understanding of my lease and building policy, I'm the only one allowed to live here because I'm the tenant. The building is a corporate owned student housing apartment complex (only college students are allowed to live there). There are around 400 residents, and multiple apartment types.

As far as avoiding getting caught, here are the factors I'm dealing with: 1) Her car will have paid parking some place else; 2) there is a three consecutive day limit per month on overnight guests, but she's stayed here 12 nights in a row before blatantly with no problems (it doesn't appear that this is policed really at all, and others have indicated they've had people stay with them longer); 3) the landlord (or repairmen, etc) only enters my apartment with prior notice (usually several days notice by door note as has happened about 4 times, and calling me directly the morning of twice); the people in my building are antisocial beyond belief, and I don't know my neighbors whatsoever (so little chance of them finding out and calling me out to management for being disgruntled at my gf being here or whatever); 5) she doesn't have that much stuff to move in, and I think we can do it in like 2 trips discretely); 6) there are security cameras at every entrance, in and next to every elevator, and next to every staircase entrance; 7) guests don't have to sign in or anything.

What do you guys think? Any tips on avoiding getting caught while she's living here?

Thanks!

You need a serious attitude adjustment now. There is no right way to do a wrong thing. Learn that now please, and be an honest, contributing citizen. The mark of maturity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:43 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
Don't do it. Talk to your landlord and ask them if your gf can move in...she will need to fill out an app and pass credit/background check set by the landlord.

If you do let her in you can expect a 3 day notice to move her right back out again and if you don't, they will evict you. Don't think your landlord won't find out.......they will and then what will you do?

Old 12-14-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
You need a serious attitude adjustment now. There is no right way to do a wrong thing. Learn that now please, and be an honest, contributing citizen. The mark of maturity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.
What are you my mom? Good grief.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Really Dumb idea! Eviction Will follow you & you have a Very hard time finding a decent place. Why not just find a place together & move.
Because I still have several months on my lease. I would if I could I suppose. But moving is a hassle, and this place is too convenient to give up. I'm aware of the consequences of eviction, as I said before.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:17 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Are you actually a student then? Why can't you wait and move into a new place once your current lease is up? I suspect there is a reason that ISN'T "because we love each other and want to spend the rest of our lives together" because people who say that don't ask questions like this.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:52 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwitaplan View Post
What are you my mom? Good grief.
Maybe (if you value her opinion) you should ask your mom how she feels about you illegally moving your girlfriend into your studio apartment and how she plans to bail you out if you end up with an eviction and because of it can't easily find a rental for years to come.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:20 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
Well Gee You think you going to find a place in 3 days? Cause once they Evict you Both of you be on the Street! Great Way to start a life together. BTW whats wrong with her place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting