Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 09:01 PM

19 posts, read 23,116 times

Advertisements

but instead deposited into the landlords bank of choice by us in person each month.

Not our bank, not convenient to us....(they live out of state). There's a branch here...at a distance not in a good area.

Isn't that odd? I just want to mail the check to them, they have given us their out of state address...why should I waste my time driving to their bank when I don't want to?? They seem to be first time landlords who couldn't sell their house. It's a nice house and we're happy to rent it.

Should we just mail it to them like 3 weeks early so they can process it by the first. (taking it to their bank of choice when it's convenient to them).

My husband thinks maybe we should drive around monthly depositing it like they want? Again, a branch not convenient to us?? We are very busy and don't have time to do this easily. Kids, activities, jobs...

What do you think? What would you do? They just sprung this on us...last minute. I want to get it cleared up right away but am I being unreasonable to mail it to them? Thanks much. They used a realtor to rent the house but are not really using a property management company, just the realtor helping them...sort of. Husband was wishy washy and didn't tell them yes or no when speaking in person with them. I was not there in person, or this wouldn't have been an issue.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 10:28 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
I wouldn't I would mail it & like you said mail early. You really need to talk to them. Also what does the Lease say about rent payments? IF you signed it without reading & it says You have to Bring it to them then you no choice. Read before signing as ALL leases are not the same people add quirky stuff all the time!

Old 03-28-2015, 10:34 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
What does your lease say about rent payment? Does it specifically say you have to deposit it in their bank? Does it say you can mail the rent payment? Does it say anything at all or is it silent?

Old 03-28-2015, 11:23 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
As stated by others. Your lease should have specific instructions on who where and how to send the rent payment. That's the way you should send it.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:30 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,018 times
Don't they know wire transfers?!? It really doesn't make sense to drive to deposit a check in a bank, whatever the reason. Especially if they live out of state.

Mails can be lost so sending in advance is not a guarantee. What happens if you lose it? How are you going to prove you sent it on time, 3 weeks earlier?

A wire transfer is traceable and you can always show them that you transferred the money. I would go for that option.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:50 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Don't they know wire transfers?!? It really doesn't make sense to drive to deposit a check in a bank, whatever the reason. Especially if they live out of state.

Mails can be lost so sending in advance is not a guarantee. What happens if you lose it? How are you going to prove you sent it on time, 3 weeks earlier?

A wire transfer is traceable and you can always show them that you transferred the money. I would go for that option.

Wire transfers like moneygram charge a percentage. You might as well go to the bank and deposit it save the fees

Old 03-28-2015, 11:51 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
I've been there. I've rented and am now purchasing (through owner financing) our home, and our LL/"lender" always wants me to make a deposit in her bank account instead of mailing a check or money order. It IS a local bank, luckily, but it's still more of a pain. Since it's more than I can take out of the ATM in one day, I have to go into the bank to withdraw the money, then go into her bank to deposit it. Two lines, two aggravations. Way easier to write a check.

Anyway, since the bank is not local to you, I would maybe do it the first time, but call and ask if you can send a check a little early (I wouldn't say three weeks? Maybe one week?) and just mail it from here on out.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:58 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
Just adding -- if your hubby didn't tell them no, I would see if you can possibly arrange to do it just this one time. Then, like I said, see if you can do it differently in the future. They might need the money kinda fast rather than waiting for mail and check clearing or something. Perhaps if you work with them now when they need it, they might be more likely to do the same for you if you ever need it, ya know?

Old 03-29-2015, 05:25 AM

584 posts, read 1,935,639 times
or you can set up a automatic transfer to the ll bank of choice

Old 03-29-2015, 05:55 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I've been there. I've rented and am now purchasing (through owner financing) our home, and our LL/"lender" always wants me to make a deposit in her bank account instead of mailing a check or money order. It IS a local bank, luckily, but it's still more of a pain. Since it's more than I can take out of the ATM in one day, I have to go into the bank to withdraw the money, then go into her bank to deposit it. Two lines, two aggravations. Way easier to write a check.

Anyway, since the bank is not local to you, I would maybe do it the first time, but call and ask if you can send a check a little early (I wouldn't say three weeks? Maybe one week?) and just mail it from here on out.
Why on earth can't you just write a check and deposit it at her bank?? What does the ATM have to do with any of this???

In any event, it's all about whatever is in the WRITTEN lease agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting