Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 10:39 AM

6,141 posts, read 3,392,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Ok, I now have your account number. What's stopping me from using it for nefarious reasons. Setting up a company, say, and raiding the account?

As a note, I pay all my bills via paper check and USPS. The service charge for my bills (charged by the provider) using autopay or online payment is much more than the price of a stamp.

The only bill I have which doesn't have a service charge for autopay or online payment is my mortgage, which is held by my bank.
Wouldn't this require the knowledge of password to even get access to other account. That's not likely to ever happen. Even I occasionally have to answer security questions ( answers to which you have already inserted when setting up online access)...also Online Banking scopes out IP addresses as well which trigger's scrutiny to the highest degree..to the point they may not do transaction without contacting the person being affected. They would also have to have access to your "Bank Card Number" which is used for debit transactions. This # has nothing to do with your actual Checking Account #s either..

So no...Just having your landlord knowing you're bank acct. number isn't enough to gain access to it IMO..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 10:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,914,090 times
Quote:
I'm going to disagree with you here, there are too many examples just in my little corner of the world, of people who have accessed another's bank account/ATM card and raided the account.

Hell, my school system had a whole group of mid-level administrative employees who raided the system accounts a few years ago.
Then if you think it's an issue you need to get rid of all your paper cheques. Yes, accounts have been compromised through bank debit cards but simply having the account number does not enable anyone other than the account holder to access the account.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:00 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,845,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus Splash View Post
but instead deposited into the landlords bank of choice by us in person each month.

Not our bank, not convenient to us....(they live out of state). There's a branch here...at a distance not in a good area.

Isn't that odd? I just want to mail the check to them, they have given us their out of state address...why should I waste my time driving to their bank when I don't want to?? They seem to be first time landlords who couldn't sell their house. It's a nice house and we're happy to rent it.

Should we just mail it to them like 3 weeks early so they can process it by the first. (taking it to their bank of choice when it's convenient to them).

My husband thinks maybe we should drive around monthly depositing it like they want? Again, a branch not convenient to us?? We are very busy and don't have time to do this easily. Kids, activities, jobs...

What do you think? What would you do? They just sprung this on us...last minute. I want to get it cleared up right away but am I being unreasonable to mail it to them? Thanks much. They used a realtor to rent the house but are not really using a property management company, just the realtor helping them...sort of. Husband was wishy washy and didn't tell them yes or no when speaking in person with them. I was not there in person, or this wouldn't have been an issue.

What kind of horse-and-buggy bank are you banking at? They don't have online bill pay????

Switch banks. You'll be a lot happier for many reasons.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:03 AM

22,145 posts, read 33,763,989 times
Quote:
Ok, I now have your account number. What's stopping me from using it for nefarious reasons. Setting up a company, say, and raiding the account?

As a note, I pay all my bills via paper check and USPS. The service charge for my bills (charged by the provider) using autopay or online payment is much more than the price of a stamp.

The only bill I have which doesn't have a service charge for autopay or online payment is my mortgage, which is held by my bank.
Ok. You really think the bank won't open up a fraud case. Whenever you write a check the routing and account number is printed on there. I guess you can order fake checks and try cashing them.

Quote:
I'm going to disagree with you here, there are too many examples just in my little corner of the world, of people who have accessed another's bank account/ATM card and raided the account.

Hell, my school system had a whole group of mid-level administrative employees who raided the system accounts a few years ago.

That's insider breach. They had access to account and possibly the check writing software or checks. Basically other important info other than account number.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:42 PM

13,940 posts, read 39,457,856 times
This thread got funny 3 pages Nothing more from the OP yet everyone saying same thing only in different ways

Old 03-29-2015, 05:46 PM

19 posts, read 23,238 times
Okay,

The lease says just when to pay not how to pay. I didn't want them to have access to our account or us to have access to theirs...I just wanted to send them a rent check. I don't do any automatic bill payments. Don't trust it. That's just me. I'm old fashioned. I like things nice and clean and simple. We'll only be renting for a year before buying again. Have to sell our house out of state first (busy with getting ready for open house here so didn't check in sooner).

There's no chance of it ever bouncing. I'm not sending coins in the mail, so it's not likely to get lost/stolen. It's only going a state away.

I also avoid hassle, so to me it's easier to just mail it monthly. My husband avoids confrontation so he'll probably run it around to suit them. I'll have him read what you all wrote and then he'll be wondering why i asked.

Thanks for all the input, it will help us figure out what to do. I didn't know there would be options. Something that should be so simple. EEK.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:52 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,914,090 times
If the landlord is going to create a problem and claim the rent doesn't arrive on time when sent in the mail then simply send it in plenty of time with return receipt requested so that you have a record of when it was sent and when it was received. The USPS will track it and keep a record so the landlord can't turn around and claim it was never sent.

Have you actually spoken to the LL to tell him that his deposit suggestion doesn't work for you? Simple communication usually works ...

Old 03-29-2015, 06:03 PM

They gave him their bank account number and routing number on a piece of paper. Or he wrote it in his phone.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:12 PM

My husband can't say no to people, but to me it sounds like an unnecessary inconvenience. They seem like a nice family, and we are nice too. I don't expect them to treat it unprofessionally. They just want their money. And I just want to pay them.

If it clears, then I know they got it. We can always call and check if it doesn't clear.

I'll leave it up to him, he can run it around if he wants to. I appreciate the input here, it gives us a better appreciation for what others are doing.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:19 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,883,941 times
I've done the deposit slip and mail for my Landlord... he was in the military and it was before the online stuff was available.

It actually was very simple because the bank provided pre-paid envelopes with the deposit slip on the envelope flap...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting