Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 12:50 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,719,018 times

Advertisements

The wife and I had to call the cops on our downstairs neighbors last night. There are three college girls living down there and are usually pretty quiet.

However, last night they started playing music around 11PM and you could hear people yelling and screaming. The wife went down there and told them to turn down the music, but they just laughed and closed the door. We put up with it for a few more minutes, then decided to call the cops. The wife said there were at least a dozen people down there.

The officer showed up quickly and told them to disperse and "If I have to come out again, someone is getting arrested". Everyone left and the party stopped.

This morning as I was leaving, the girl saw me and yelled "why did you call the cops?". I told her because the apartment complex has a noise policy after 10pm and the city does too. We asked nicely and you refused.

I hate calling cops on neighbors because of possible retaliation, but sometimes it's necessary.

This is a college town, so it's next to impossible to find a place to rent without college students. Can't wait to get out of here.

My wife works at 7am Tues-Sat, and I work at 7am Mon-Fri, so getting to bed by 11pm is a necessity.

Anyone else had problem neighbors like this? How do you handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 01:26 PM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times
Yes of course noisy neighbors are a frequent concern here on this forum.

It's a fact of life, and even living in single individual homes isn't always fool proof (as opposed to living in an apartment complex).

You do what you have to do.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:37 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Anyone else had problem neighbors like this?
Obviously many judging from the sheer number of current threads running on apartment-living noise.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:45 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,037,940 times
Do they have chihuahuas?

Old 05-02-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

It's a fact of life, and even living in single individual homes isn't always fool proof (as opposed to living in an apartment complex).

Whenever the wife and I buy a house in a year or two, we are building a cabin on a 5-10 acre property. Shouldn't hear any neighbors there.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:23 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,118,086 times
Quote:
Whenever the wife and I buy a house in a year or two, we are building a cabin on a 5-10 acre property. Shouldn't hear any neighbors there.

You'd think not. But where there's 5-10 acres, there might be livestock. And there's just as likely some kind of predator for that livestock.

So what's a farmer/rancher to do? Why get some LGDs(Livestock Guardian Dogs) - often these are often GPyrs (Great Pyranese) or Anatolian (Shepherds). Without special training, these dogs roam their territory and bark a warning to the others that there are predators in the area. This barking often sets up other non-guardian dogs because it IS an alert of danger. The predators have no curfew and therefore the LGDs have no curfew.

Many times we have heard the call begin miles from here and can track the danger from this farm to that as the dogs sound the call. It's actually quite reassuring but not for everyone.

One of the big benefits of living in aggy land is that all our neighbors are up early and to bed early. It's quiet here at night, except for the sounds of nature. After a rain the bullfrogs and treefrogs set up a racket that we can hear inside with the windows closed and fans and tv on. Yup, they are noisier than a group of teens having a pool party. And the bullfrogs are noisier than a pack of hounds on scent.

Oh, our nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away and we only have 5 within a 2 mile radius. After almost 3 years here, we've met only 2.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:47 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
After a rain the bullfrogs and treefrogs set up a racket that we can hear inside with the windows closed and fans and tv on. Yup, they are noisier than a group of teens having a pool party.
Thanks for the chuckle, NY Annie, as that was exactly my thought when I read the post you're referencing. I too live in a super quiet area where neighbors are early to bed and early to rise but the cacaphony of night denizens could drive someone completely bonkers. As soon as the sun sets (which it does here very early year-round) the noise starts and goes on all night long. I LOVE it but I've heard visitors sometimes complain on forums that they had to crank up fans and A/Cs during their vacation as they couldn't sleep for the racket.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:09 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,793,878 times
Quote:
When I buy my next place it HAS TO BE over 100 acres. 5 acres? You are still right on top of your neighbor and believe me if they guy is an idiot (loud thumper bass from his car stereo, Harley attention ***** or shooter) you are going to get annoyed. 10 acres will result in a little less noise but you will still hear it.

The problem is once you move to a quiet place you start noticing noise even more so than you did in an urban area. I figure that a minimum of 100 acres would be just about right IF and ONLY IF you built a soundproof concrete home. (at least that is my world view).

Old 05-02-2015, 05:13 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,793,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
You'd think not. But where there's 5-10 acres, there might be livestock. And there's just as likely some kind of predator for that livestock.

So what's a farmer/rancher to do? Why get some LGDs(Livestock Guardian Dogs) - often these are often GPyrs (Great Pyranese) or Anatolian (Shepherds). Without special training, these dogs roam their territory and bark a warning to the others that there are predators in the area. This barking often sets up other non-guardian dogs because it IS an alert of danger. The predators have no curfew and therefore the LGDs have no curfew.

Many times we have heard the call begin miles from here and can track the danger from this farm to that as the dogs sound the call. It's actually quite reassuring but not for everyone.

One of the big benefits of living in aggy land is that all our neighbors are up early and to bed early. It's quiet here at night, except for the sounds of nature. After a rain the bullfrogs and treefrogs set up a racket that we can hear inside with the windows closed and fans and tv on. Yup, they are noisier than a group of teens having a pool party. And the bullfrogs are noisier than a pack of hounds on scent.

Oh, our nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away and we only have 5 within a 2 mile radius. After almost 3 years here, we've met only 2.
You don't get drunks in loud pickups driving by at 2am? Young teens cruising the "back roads" with the stereo thumping out the latest rap crap?

Barking dogs at 100 to 200 yards is nothing. Penetrating bass "music" is something else.

My advice is be VERY selective about the property. Look for a dead end road and if possible buy the property at the very end. Make sure there is plenty of room between your home and the neighbors property line.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:54 PM

My grandparents house is on 10 acres down a dead end dirt road. He's the last lot. His house is a good 15-20 minute walk to the nearest neighbor. No noise at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting