Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 06:12 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Thanks Momtothree, I'll go do a search. I looked through titles for a bit and nothing popped up right away so it was easier to ask. Also asking brings up any new data on the subject, should there have been anything new since the last discussion on the subject.

Our initial response has been "no" to the Section 8 folks and it looks like that will continue.

The home is not in a low income neighborhood, it's a quiet established family neighborhood and we don't want to disrupt the neighbors. It's never been a rental before, it was the house we were living in. We'd not have moved out except the house we bought to be a rental wasn't in good enough shape so we've moved over to that one to work on it while living in it. The two houses are similar in size and the new one has a much larger lot and is within walking distance to our small main street so that's good. However, it's on a hillside and our previous house (the one being rented) is on a level lot with only two steps into it. Once we get the new one in good condition, we probably will continue to live in it, though, so the renters of our first house won't have to move out.

I guess we're searching for that elusive great renter who pays their rent on time and stays there for a decade or so. From what folks have said, the Section 8 folks aren't likely to be that renter?

I've been that elusive great renter who pays their rent on time and stays there for a decade of so - 13 years, until illness and loss of income forced staying with family.

I'm also income-eligible for Section 8.

What do you make of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 06:15 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It's an option for those that have few...

At one time, I managed a number of Section 8/Voucher units... had some really excellent renters and some problems... also very good inspectors/workers and not so good.

I no longer accept new Section 8 because each rule change is a take away for the owner.

At one time Section 8 even maintained the units and for decades would guarantee a full two months rent equivalent for tenant damages or unpaid rent... they stopped doing this because the losses were too great...

Almost all the inspectors are contract here... they have no ties, no history and often are not very knowledgeable...

Things work differently with subsidized units... no matter what happens, the landlord is expected to take care of it and then attempt to collect from the tenant.

Like when a tenant's child breaks a window or a tenant owned appliance breaks down...

There are some really good people with vouchers... some actually leave the program when they no longer need assistance...

All of my experience is mainland... so it could all be different in Hawaii...

If you go ahead... the first thing will be a Housing Quality Inspection followed by rent reasonableness review... Housing may require things the city and/or country do not.

Imagine a rent reasonableness review for all housing rentals

Old 06-11-2015, 11:01 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
freemkt is the current drunk LL a Relative? Being Sec 8 income eligible only Part of it.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:41 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
I've seen 2 different people say the rent is direct deposited. Just a note: this is not an option everywhere. I have about a half dozen section 8 tenants, and over the years, have had dozens. Direct deposit is not an option. We get a check on approximately the 2nd of every month.

As for the rest, there are good people and bad people in all walks of life. I've had terrible/wonderful section 8 tenants, but overall, I've had about the same percentage of terrible/wonderful NON-section 8 tenants.

I have a neighbor who is Section 8. She takes the best care of her yard of probably anyone in my neighborhood. Her yard looks better than mine most of the time. The inside of her house is always clean and maintained. She doesn't call for more things than other tenants. I have no issue with her at all.

I've had other section 8 tenants who trashed the place, immediately after moving in, lost their section 8, and were judgment proof (as most section 8 tenants are), so we got stuck paying for the repairs and legal costs to evict. But I've had non-section 8 tenants do the same thing and then file bankruptcy, meaning we got stuck with those legal fees and repairs also.

I've had a section 8 tenant lie about the number of occupants, lie about being a non-smoker and lie about having no pets. She got evicted and lost her section 8 also. But we had a non-section 8 tenant lie about all the same things and get evicted also.

The one good thing is that most section 8 tenants do want to keep their section 8, so for the most part, they do behave. Plus the city does an inspection once a year, and gives the owners a list of things for them to fix, and the tenants a list of things they need to fix. If you are a slumlord, this is a negative, but if you like to keep your properties nice, this is a good thing.

Having said all of this, Section 8 is a lot more paperwork, and evicting is harder if you have a problem tenant. So I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who was managing their property themselves without a property manager.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:12 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
There is a stigma to section 8, people who pay the full rent might not want to have them as neighbors.

Also I've heard that once you accept one person that each unit you have available has to be open to S8 renters.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:54 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Units have to meet price guidelines and if priced too high... no Section 8.

Section 8 is the alternative to projects... the entire focus is to disburse families on assistance throughout the community.

It can take 5 or more years to receive a voucher... those that are desperate can opt for conventional housing and it can be 6 to 9 months...

Old 06-11-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
There is a stigma to section 8, people who pay the full rent might not want to have them as neighbors.

Also I've heard that once you accept one person that each unit you have available has to be open to S8 renters.
You heard WRONG! There are 60 apts in my complex only 10% SIX are Sec 8

Old 06-11-2015, 06:34 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
You heard WRONG! There are 60 apts in my complex only 10% SIX are Sec 8
What did you think I heard wrong? I didn't say you had to only rent to Section 8 people, I said you can't refuse them once you accept one in your building

and I also said they might not want them as neighbors which is my opinion.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:39 PM

Of Course a LL can Refuse them LL can also Remove their Property from the Program. READ Ultra Runners Posts! 1 Sec 8 hold over is ALL they have as Tenants.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:06 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Well, since we're getting several inquiries a day about renting the house, I guess we won't rent to Section 8. Mostly - from what I've gotten from this forum - because of dealing with the Section 8 administration and rules, not so much the renters themselves. We can pick and choose through them, but it doesn't sound like there's much leeway with the administration.

I've never really rented out a house before, didn't realize the amount of effort it takes to winnow through prospective renters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting