Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 05:38 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times

Advertisements

My guess is that if one checked ovens across the U.S., most of them would work the way you describe. I can't imagine how much of a burden it is to rotate food. SMH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 07:41 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,758,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Sorry, OP. I'm a serious cook and I can tell you that a lot of ovens heat unevenly. In fact most ovens heat unevenly. If you ever get a stove with a good oven, count your blessings.

It has nothing to do with how expensive the stove is. A cheap oven can work really well and a different cheap oven might be awful. An expensive oven might work really well, or it might suck.

You shouldn't be cooking anything at 425 degrees except for a frozen pizza. Most foods will burn on the outside and be raw in the middle if you cook that high.

Buy yourself an oven thermometer and use that to figure out what temperature you get inside the oven when you set the thermostat to 350 (which is the most commonly used temperature). Adjust your controls until the oven thermometer lets you know you've found out how to set the oven to get the temperature you want.

With most ovens, you will have to rotate the food to get even heating. That's just how life and appliances are.
That's exactly what I did. My fiance loves frozen pizzas and the back half of them are burning while the front half barely cooks. We've resorted to rotating the pizzas, cookies, casseroles, etc etc etc a few times during the cooking process, so we finally went out and got ourselves an oven thermometer. I get it that some ovens heat unevenly, just never had it this extreme. When we moved in, I noticed a slight uneven temp, but its definitely gotten worse over the two years we've been here. Oh well, guess we'll just put up with it till we move.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
My guess is that if one checked ovens across the U.S., most of them would work the way you describe. I can't imagine how much of a burden it is to rotate food. SMH
Well, for starters, I've never had to rotate food in my oven! I mean really?! I've lived on this earth 35 years and have never had to pull a cake out and rotate it. Lol. But, it sounds like this is normal, it just seems we've got the extreme version of it. I've always thought that removing a cake from the oven ruins the baking of it. Huh. Who'd a thunk? But then again, I'm a terrible baker to begin with anyways.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:24 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
Lots of cheap ovens work this way. It's just the way they work.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:35 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,477,771 times
This is one of the reasons people buy Convection Ovens. To get more even temperature within the oven.

Convection Oven Advantages and Disadvantages | eHow

Old 06-26-2015, 07:16 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
Stove needs a New Seal! Also check make sure the door is on its hinges correctly.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:09 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,671,200 times
I have not read all responses at this point, but I'll tell you, when I was having problem with a stove, and I think that management wasn't totally responding, I had the Gas Co. visit to Calibrate it. I was told there was a problem - I forgot what - and the representative wrote something up for the Management Company, confirming the oven needed replacing. (I didn't see if your was Gas or Elec.) Anyway, it was replaced.

I'll just say that generally, my Manager / Management Co. does act when there is a problem. I have been lucky. I have read that when it comes to Heating or Appliances that are provided, they DO need to replace them.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
I have not read all responses at this point, but I'll tell you, when I was having problem with a stove, and I think that management wasn't totally responding, I had the Gas Co. visit to Calibrate it. I was told there was a problem - I forgot what - and the representative wrote something up for the Management Company, confirming the oven needed replacing. (I didn't see if your was Gas or Elec.) Anyway, it was replaced.

I'll just say that generally, my Manager / Management Co. does act when there is a problem. I have been lucky. I have read that when it comes to Heating or Appliances that are provided, they DO need to replace them.
I've got an electric stove. Don't know if the seals are bad. I do know its an old stove though. Maybe close to 15 years old. I wish my PM company was responsive to repairs. I sometimes have to continually bug them for repairs. Things like back gate falling off, or the burners on my stove, have taken weeks to repair. I'm just glad AZ passed a law to tenants requiring LL's to repair A/C units in a timely manner. Last year I went nearly a week without a/c. That summer was brutal! Inside temps got to mid 90's!

Old 06-28-2015, 12:26 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,671,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
I've got an electric stove. Don't know if the seals are bad. I do know its an old stove though. Maybe close to 15 years old. I wish my PM company was responsive to repairs. I sometimes have to continually bug them for repairs. Things like back gate falling off, or the burners on my stove, have taken weeks to repair. I'm just glad AZ passed a law to tenants requiring LL's to repair A/C units in a timely manner. Last year I went nearly a week without a/c. That summer was brutal! Inside temps got to mid 90's!
Dear God... that is unreal. I can't believe how it can with some management companies / owners. In a place where there exists high heat, it should be considered an immediate need, just as Heaters are for cold weather. When my previous air conditioner was obviously no longer functioning which I had informed them about more than once, a maintenance guy (with an attitude) acted as if it was "still okay". I was pretty upset and didn't know what to do. About the following week I was informed they would be bringing me a new one...I was stunned, but thrilled. (I got the impression the Mgmt co. had a spare and also had seen online that there had been rebate offers for owners at the time, so that was likely the motivation). After that, one of the long-time neighbors here put a call into them and demanded they would give her one too, which they did. I have another neighbor whose air conditoner they still refuse to replace...I don't know why, but I think there is some conflict between them which is awful and should not be about some emotional issue.

Anyway, I have had good one for a few years now, which is necessary in States like yours and mine, since we need them a large portion of a year. Oh, just to add, a while back they also began installing a box in the bedrooms of the upstairs units besides, but not mine, saying it "does not get as hot" downstairs, though have since installed them in some downstairs 1-Bed units, as a selling point to newer tenants.

Nobody should have to go without something necessary and I cannot believe they are allowing you to have a non-functioning stove. (I love how some owners may do this, while living in their mansions). You might see if you can report the problem, it may be "Tenants Rights" and "Housing Authority" for your state. Some around here may be able to give you better info. I wish you luck with your situation.

Old 06-28-2015, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Dear God... that is unreal. I can't believe how it can with some management companies / owners. In a place where there exists high heat, it should be considered an immediate need, just as Heaters are for cold weather. When my previous air conditioner was obviously no longer functioning which I had informed them about more than once, a maintenance guy (with an attitude) acted as if it was "still okay". I was pretty upset and didn't know what to do. About the following week I was informed they would be bringing me a new one...I was stunned, but thrilled. (I got the impression the Mgmt co. had a spare and also had seen online that there had been rebate offers for owners at the time, so that was likely the motivation). After that, one of the long-time neighbors here put a call into them and demanded they would give her one too, which they did. I have another neighbor whose air conditoner they still refuse to replace...I don't know why, but I think there is some conflict between them which is awful and should not be about some emotional issue.

Anyway, I have had good one for a few years now, which is necessary in States like yours and mine, since we need them a large portion of a year. Oh, just to add, a while back they also began installing a box in the bedrooms of the upstairs units besides, but not mine, saying it "does not get as hot" downstairs, though have since installed them in some downstairs 1-Bed units, as a selling point to newer tenants.

Nobody should have to go without something necessary and I cannot believe they are allowing you to have a non-functioning stove. (I love how some owners may do this, while living in their mansions). You might see if you can report the problem, it may be "Tenants Rights" and "Housing Authority" for your state. Some around here may be able to give you better info. I wish you luck with your situation.
Tenants don't seem to have it easy in the US, and some states are even worse off than the "average" states for tenants. Not sure what it's like outside the US. As far as the stove goes, as long as it is working, albeit partially, they won't replace it, and in most cases, won't repair either (at least in MY experience). I've had it rather rough in dealing with LL's. I get it, some bad apple tenants probably spoil it for the good tenants. I always thought I was a good tenant. I paymy rent early, each month, I keep up the property, I notify the PM of any needed repairs promptly, I never throw parties or in any way receive complaints from naighbores or the HOA. Oh, and I don't have unauthorized pets/people either. I also treat the house better than I would if it was my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting