Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 01:55 PM

35 posts, read 32,761 times

Advertisements

i have just been notified by my leasing company that I will not get back any of my security deposit. The list of damages was "general cleaning" ( i have pics to prove it was spotless when i left) "Lawn care", but was mowed the day before I left by my husband. Touch-up painting, missing light fixture that that i put in. Batteries for smoke detectors and air vent cleaning. I sent back a dispute letter. before i file in small claims just want to make sure these are bogus charges. dont want to waste time and money. Have witnesses and some photos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 02:16 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Not an uncommon practice for large reality management firms. They play the odds of how many tenants have no documentation to prove their claims. Air vent cleaning just screams fraudulent charges being passed on to you. Normal wear and tear is not allowed to be charged to you ever! Small claims court may be your best remedy, if you do, do so quickly.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:19 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammic View Post
i have just been notified by my leasing company that I will not get back any of my security deposit. The list of damages was "general cleaning" ( i have pics to prove it was spotless when i left) "Lawn care", but was mowed the day before I left by my husband. Touch-up painting, missing light fixture that that i put in. Batteries for smoke detectors and air vent cleaning. I sent back a dispute letter. before i file in small claims just want to make sure these are bogus charges. dont want to waste time and money. Have witnesses and some photos.

Read this: State Landlord Tenant Laws

Also, this should be in the "Renting" part of the forum not "Florida".

Old 07-05-2015, 02:21 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Moved this thread to the renting forum.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:03 PM

Do you file against the reality company? How long should i give them to respond to my dispute letter? So far its only been 11 days since the received it.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:09 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
File against whomever sent you the security deposit deductions. Your dispute letter should have given them a certain amount of days to respond. If they don't then file. Did you read up on your state's security deposit laws and the steps you need to take?

Old 07-05-2015, 03:19 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
The air duct is bogus. Did you take pictures of your yard before leaving?

And for the missing light fixture, you mentioned it was yours. Did you remove the old one? Was there one ever installed? Did you leave the hardware/holes in the place where the light fixture was? Or was it like that when you moved in? If it was like that when you moved in, was it noted on your initial walk through list?

I agree with others, file a small claims for the deposit. Against the Management company and the owner listed in property records.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:29 PM

I never had a walk through list. There were no lights on the ceiling fans to I added a light fixture to the fan. The glass broke that goes around the light bulb. Probably should of just removed it. But $35? only paid like 12. Took pics of inside the house but not outside. My husband mowed it. Have other family members that saw him do it. No invoices were ever sent showing they had to pay for any services. They said they had to touch of paint, isn't that considered wear and tear? Can I put in my claim the money i spent on certified mail and small claim fees?

Old 07-05-2015, 03:50 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,399,081 times
They should be providing legitimate invoices for work that was or is going to be done. You may have been responsible for somethings but not all in my opinion. RE the painting, damage and/or dirt is not wear and tear. Wear and tear is generally accepted as minor scuffs here and there, not nail holes from pictures, gouges in sheetrock, etc. S o you'll have to see where you might fit in that part of the scenario. Large firms like t his are famous for pulling these stunts because many people have moved out of state or at least too far away to file a claim.

You file against your realty company that you signed the lease with, in the jurisdiction where they conduct business. Normally a demand letter gives 10 days to remedy a demand for payment. Be sure to send it certified mail or have a process server serve it in person to the office.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:15 PM

just had 3 pictures hung in the whole house. My husband spackled them. Also I meant to say DRYER vent cleaning. Which my husband did because the dryer wasn't drying properly. It just so happened all of the cost of damages equaled my entire deposit. My husband even touch up painted! The parts where the kids put their feet on the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting