Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 12:01 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times

Advertisements

One thing to mention, this notice was for not paying the rent right? So why did he "deliver" it on the first...if rent is normally due on the first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 12:10 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
One thing to mention, this notice was for not paying the rent right? So why did he "deliver" it on the first...if rent is normally due on the first.
Excellent catch!

Old 07-10-2015, 12:26 PM

135 posts, read 258,350 times
Quote:
I didn't think of that. The truth is, he was actually here on the first, and I have proof of why. He had been receiving mail here from a lawyer and he received a notice of certified mail, so I emailed and told him, and he came to pick it up. He mentioned then that the rent hadn't come, and I told him I had mailed it on the 29th. He said "I'm not worried about it," and said he would wait until after the holidays and see what happened. Then he called me on the 6th in a frantic tither saying he was going to evict me. I called him back and he was acting absolutely crazy and said he "had no choice" because he couldn't wait 6 weeks for his money. I told him then about the 3-day notice, and he said he was "well aware of the process." He was acting so crazy, I covered myself by sending him an email confirming the conversation and what was said, stating I had mailed the rent on the 29th and the procedure I would have to go through to trace the money orders. I just feel like I needed to cover myself with proof of the conversation. He didn't reply to the email, and evidently, he filed the eviction the next day.

It's all just insane, but thanks for that catch. I'll definitely tell the lawyer about that. Although my lease does not give any grace period for rent, still, I had until midnight on the 1st to pay it, so he wouldn't have delivered the 3-day notice until the 2nd, right?

Old 07-10-2015, 12:37 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
If there's no grace period in your lease and it's due on the 1st, the earliest he can post the 3 day notice is on the 2nd. The three days would be July 2, 3 and 6. (Excluding weekends) then he can file for eviction on the 7th.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
If there's no grace period in your lease and it's due on the 1st, the earliest he can post the 3 day notice is on the 2nd. The three days would be July 2, 3 and 6. (Excluding weekends) then he can file for eviction on the 7th.
He did file it on the 7th, so evidently he knew that much, but he didn't serve the 3-day notice. My lease says "rent shall be considered delinquent on the 2nd day of the month," so you're absolutely right. You can't serve a 3-day notice until rent is delinquent, and it wasn't delinquent on the 1st, so that notice is invalid. Nitpicky, but might just be his undoing.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassie99 View Post
He did file it on the 7th, so evidently he knew that much, but he didn't serve the 3-day notice. My lease says "rent shall be considered delinquent on the 2nd day of the month," so you're absolutely right. You can't serve a 3-day notice until rent is delinquent, and it wasn't delinquent on the 1st, so that notice is invalid. Nitpicky, but might just be his undoing.
There's nothing "nitpicky" about it. Not only is it a defective notice but he's outright lying to the court and if you go after him he could get into a lot of trouble.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:50 PM

Also, is he being represented by an attorney? I'd assume not, but just want to be sure.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:55 PM

I have a voicemail from him on July 6 saying that if I did not pay the rent by 4 p.m., he would file eviction. That was when I called him and he was so nasty to me. Of course, on the voicemail, he was professional. He was using the phone instead of emailing me because he knew he had not given me that 3-day notice, and thought that if he told me on the phone, I would have no proof, but I didn't answer, so he had to leave an email. As far as I know, this does not take the place of the 3-day notice, does it? Another something I can hit him with in court, trying to contact me without it being in writing to get around the law. I know enough to know that in real estate, everything has to be in writing, which is why I sent that email confirming our phone conversation.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Also, is he being represented by an attorney? I'd assume not, but just want to be sure.
The filing was made by him, not an attorney, and I don't see an attorney's name on the paperwork. That doesn't mean he won't show up in court with one, but that would cost him more than the back rent, so I doubt it. He's really cheap.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:52 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
July 3 was a bank holiday. FL state government and most Florida counties were closed Friday July 3 due to official holiday. Does that change the count?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting