Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 11:13 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times

Advertisements

Party...hummm my friends when the kids were young use to sit in their garage play card while kids slept in their beds! When the kids became Teens Role reverse! Don't jump to conclusions! YES they installed A/C for summer & heater for Winter so they wouldn't disrupt the neighbors sleep!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 05:31 AM

784 posts, read 729,897 times
It's time to recognize you have made a mistake with these renters. You should have screened them better.

Having higher credit scores would have caught/prevented this. Perhaps a past landlord reference. Or even checking income, it seems like your tenants do not work, or have no concerns for others that might be working.

Your neighbors should continue to call the cops. And you should plan on a lease termination. And a great place when you get it back. If they party like that in the garage, the house probably looks like an after-party hangout...

Old 07-27-2015, 09:11 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,240,667 times
Your lease should contain a clause which states the tenant is responsible for upholding all laws while they are residing in the premises. There should be laws governing noise and I would suggest to your neighbors that they call the cops on your tenants. Once that process is complete there will be a complaint on record you can use to legally begin the eviction process beginning with a 7 day notice to cure or quit. I really doubt a judge will evict a tenant over noise complaints, if its often enough they will be fined by the police, but the notice alone may be enough to scare them straight.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:32 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D View Post

I try to use a friendly tone in these matters and usually approach it from a "I'm helping you to not get fined" standpoint.
If you are trying to (at least initially) approach this from a friendly tone, I would recommend having a conversation, not sending the letter. You can always follow up with an email...

Dear tenant - Following up on our conversation, I said I would forward the municipal codes onto you., etc, etc.....

Old 07-27-2015, 10:55 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,410,495 times
Default well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D View Post
Hello all. I once had an account here but it appears to have been lost, so new account and new first post

I am renting out a home that I own and once lived in. Some of the neighbors were neighbors of mine while I lived there and hence they have my contact information. I have been notified by them that my current tenants are loud and often up past 2:00 AM with the garage open. There is no music involved, but they have loud get togethers apparently. The home is a single family detached home in California.

At least 2 neighbors that I know of have called the police about the issue and they have now contacted me and asked me to have a word with my tenants. I have a few questions...

- Is there any legal ramification to me politely asking my tenants to be respectful of their neighbors (as well as the city municipal code)?

- Do I have any recourse if their loud behavior continues? If they are "partying" regularly it's probably not in my best interest to have them in the home long term.

- Am I obligated to do anything in this situation?

I'm a new landlord, these are my first tenants. I had a realtor handle the screening and lease agreements but I am managing the property. Any feedback is appreciated.
Yes, you are obligated as a LL to do something about it. Possibly not legally, but certainly morally. You rented to these people, they are disturbing the peace in the neighborhood. You need to send them a registered letter (so they know you mean business) telling them to stop the raucous behavior. I know the rent is probably nice, but...do the right thing. Ask the neighbors to call you the next time it happens and show up at their door...
Koale

Old 07-28-2015, 09:58 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
First, I'd want to know what the police did. Did they issue a warning or find that no violation had taken place? I've personally had tight ass neighbors make noise complaints against me only for the cops to come out and find we were within the bounds of the law.

If something like that happened, as a landlord I would stay out of it.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:33 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I don't want to get the neighbors mad at me. For a noise complaint I'd probably find out when it happens and do a drive by. If I agreed that it was excessive I'd send the tenants a note saying I'd driven by at whatever time and the noise was excessive and to knock it off.

Second time I drove by and they were too loud. I'd just give their notice to vacate.

By the way, I've got some excellent tenants who called me and wanted to make sure they could have a big party and set up tents for overnight guests who had too much to drink. I asked a few questions and made sure they knew what time the noise curfew was. I gave them my approval. One night in two years, the neighbors can suck it up. No complaints though. They are good people and I'm sure the neighors just decided to suck it up because it was just one night.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:43 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
By the way, I've got some excellent tenants who called me and wanted to make sure they could have a big party and set up tents for overnight guests who had too much to drink. I asked a few questions and made sure they knew what time the noise curfew was. I gave them my approval.
WTF??

It's a neighborhood, not a festival ground.

I would certainly "not like you" as a landlord if I were one of the neighbors.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:41 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You have recourses. What does your lease say about excessive noise. There are also city codes for noise. You should send a letter that simply states you received numerous complaints about excessive noise coming from the premises. Send a copy of the lease hopefully it has noise clauses, and send a copy of the city code for noise pollution. Simply explain that the noise is a violation of the lease and city codes. If it continues you would have no choice but to start proper eviction procedures due to continued violations.
Best answer....I would follow this advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting