Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,266 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We just moved to Chicago and rented a furnished apartment. We started to live there. There are tears and so many stains on the carpet. It is over-aged (approximately 20 years). When I tried to clean it via vacuum, dust was inside the home and this made me some allergic problems. We wanted our landlord to renew it, she said that you will be charged for this renewal. However, we will be live here only for 11 months. She also said that If you want to break your lease and move out, I wont give your security deposit. What can we do? What is our rights? It is really bad, it is not healty situation.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 04:17 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Looks like you have two choices: a) Continue to rent the home with the old carpet or b) break your lease and move.

Your landlord isn't obligated (unless by law) to replace the carpet just because you asked. The time for asking for new carpet is before you sign the lease, not after. I'm assuming you saw the unit before you singed the lease and paid rent? If not, you wont' make that mistake again.

Can he keep your deposit if you break the lease? If both of you agree upon that, then probably yes. Normally two months rent is the penalty for breaking the lease and the deposit is returned minus any monies owed.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:13 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
If you have a one year lease and lived there for 11 months, you have 30/60 days to find a new place. (Check to see how much notice you have to give)

If it's a 2 year lease, I agree with others, either pay or break the lease.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 2,266 times
Thanks for the replies.

We saw the unit before move in, just one time. We are coming from out of State and have not enough info about these carpets. We have been living here for only one month, we will leave september 2016. After started to live here, we saw some parts of the carpet. Because there were some plants or etc. I hope, you can understand that some of parts may not be really seen before living there.

You are saying that you have two choices. one is to renew carpet and pay for it. the other choice is to break the lease. Right?

Thanks

Last edited by kbmetu; 09-14-2015 at 08:37 AM..

Old 09-14-2015, 08:29 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmetu View Post
Thanks for the replies.

We saw the unit before move in, just one time. We are coming from out of State and have not enough info about these carpets. We have been living here for only one month, we will leave september 2016. After started to live here, we saw some parts of the carpet. Because there were some plants or etc. I hope, you can understand that some of parts may not be really seen before living there.

You are saying that you have two choices. one is to renew carpet and pay for it. the other choice is to break the lease.

Thanks
No, I think they are saying your choices are to live with the carpet or pay to break your lease. I don't think anyone said that you should replace (renew?) the carpet yourself.....

I guess you could try to talk to your landlord about paying for part of the carpet replacement since you have a year to go and you moving out might be expensive for both of you

Old 09-14-2015, 10:09 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times
Just make sure your landlord doesn't try to charge you for replacing that carpet when you leave. If it's anywhere near 20 years old, it has long, long since outlived its useful life.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:52 AM

3,021 posts, read 5,853,670 times
Perhaps have the carpet steam cleaned, i.e.https://www.stanleysteemer.com/

Depending on the size of the room(s) it could cost as little as approximately $100.

One thing about Stanley Steemer though, they will always try to upsell you, so just say no to any extra services that you don't want.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:11 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmetu View Post
Thanks for the replies.

You are saying that you have two choices. one is to renew carpet and pay for it. the other choice is to break the lease. Right?

Thanks

Carpet is carpet, what do you need to know about it? You saw the condition when you did the walk thru.

You have two choices: Stay in the unit with the carpet the way it is or move.

You can't 'renew' carpet..it can't be renewed. It can be replaced, but it won't be out of your landlords wallet.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:29 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
When you tried to vacuum the dust make you sick, so you won't vacuum?

I suggest that you hire a professional carpet cleaner with a truck mounted unit and have him deep clean the carpet. Have him write the condition of the carpet on the receipt and then do not lose that receipt. Staple it to your lease so you know where it is.

Wait a couple of days until the carpet is thoroughly dry and buy yourself a large pretty area rug to cover the carpet with. You'll have a nice floor, you can take the area rug with you when you move out. You have written proof from a professional that the carpet was bad when you moved in, and all of it is a lot cheaper than breaking the lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting