Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 11:39 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Stomping is very normal noise in apartments. It may not be stomping just sound like stomping because of the poor construction of the building. It's par for the course for apartment living. When renting an apartment you have to expect any and every thing. You should probably rent a house if you can't handle it.

I have to agree, as someone who has lived in both. I have never not heard people above me, or next to me.

Currently, I can hear my upstairs neighbor simply walking above me. It sounds like stomping, but I know he is just walking across the wood floors. It is maddening, but there is nothing that can be done. Especially if it's kids - it's normal, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 02:53 PM

17,301 posts, read 12,228,591 times
The premium of renting a house rather than an apartment is definitely worth it. Heck in some markets you can get a house for the same price as an apartment.

I have seen apartment complexes that limit dogs on upper floor units to be under 40lbs. But there's nothing legally they can do about children. I always wanted to find a way to get into a 55+ community just to avoid them heh.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 6,279 times
Default Currently Experiencing the Same Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy111 View Post
Did you have trouble understanding it with a single paragraph? I knew it was already long & didn't want to spread it out. By the way, I did say comma, etc. You guys are what's wrong with the world. I TOLD you at the beginning to forgive anything the program did. I'm a spelling, grammar, & punctuation expert. That is why I qualified it before I started.

Wow, you all are awesome. You are probably upstairs renters.
Although it would've been easier to read with the punctuation & paragraphs, wgaf...I still understood you.

Six months ago, I moved from a 4/2/2 house to a 2/2/1 downstairs apartment. The upstairs neighbors pace the floors beginning at 3 a.m., & cook stinky food beginning at that hour. Recently, ants were trailing from my pantry ceiling (noisy f***ers pantry floor) & into my shelves; hopefully, it's cuz they're pigs & will get popped for filth violations.

I realize that the apartments are cheaply made as I used to be able to hear my next door neighbor in his bedroom screaming, cussing & talking to himself. He was playing video games while wearing headphones. I threw a fit & would yell & cuss, until I saw him outside & realized he was a teen. Once, he hollered, "You're about to hear vacuuming and loud singing!" as he commenced to clean & sing "Titanium" like he was an opera star. In hindsight, that was actually kinda funny. He never jacked me out of any sleep until Spring Break, when he went to bed later than 10 p.m.

But these people upstairs, they're making me insane!

Old 08-04-2017, 01:08 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Stomping: to walk or move with very heavy or noisy steps.

Stomping is not normal noise

Posters are correct that renters with small children who run and romp most of the day (which obviously is normal activity for little ones) should do all they can to live in units on the first floor.

Have lived in apartments with tenants above me and never heard any noise at all; but yet the next ones would be the stompers who also made enough racket with their loud music (bass) and sounds of constantly moving furniture or dropping bowling balls on the floor.

It comes down to courtesy for neighbors when living in apartments (and not just upper floor tenants; also those who share a common wall).

Old 01-14-2018, 12:05 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
I know this is an older thread.... and still available.

Just to agree, no, stomping is NOT normal noise. Those who do this are apparently striking with their heel first. I have had many other neighbors who did not do this in the same unit, so it is a specific issue. (It would be best if those doing this could just be placed downstairs, but know it is impossible).

As with the tenant who just arrived, it is painful having to hear EVERY STEP thumping upon my ceiling. When he first hits the floor from sitting (in likely a recliner) or out of bed, it's so hard I can feel the room vibrate. THEN, also appears to be hyperactive, so walking is frequent and hard, fast steps.. BAM BAM BAM BAM... 😒 I will notice a CLICK or SNAP sound in flooring along with the thud, that did not used to occur (and not a huge guy). Of course, management doesn't know how it feels to experience this non-stop, but is not going to bother making any necessary improvement to the insulation, either. (OH, and there has been one SQUEAK existing for years that is "not fixable" and is heard countless times).

The bottom line is, how others are expected to cope with this and as others expressed, is nerve-wracking. Once I find an appropriate place to go, I would like to know how following tenants will feel having to go through this, the manager finding out it was not just me.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:19 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Stomping: to walk or move with very heavy or noisy steps.

Stomping is not normal noise

Posters are correct that renters with small children who run and romp most of the day (which obviously is normal activity for little ones) should do all they can to live in units on the first floor.

Have lived in apartments with tenants above me and never heard any noise at all; but yet the next ones would be the stompers who also made enough racket with their loud music (bass) and sounds of constantly moving furniture or dropping bowling balls on the floor.

It comes down to courtesy for neighbors when living in apartments (and not just upper floor tenants; also those who share a common wall).
Exactly. I have been trying to express that since landing at CD. And what you describe - the current guy is doing.. being a type. There are two types - considerate and inconsiderate.

(And for those wanting to say "just move upstairs!" Well again, NO, since having bad knee AND am past doing that at this stage in life, anyway).

Old 01-14-2018, 07:20 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
At one point I had a National Champion race-walker living above me. Apparently he didn't understand that you CAN bend your knees when you are just walking to get around and not racing. Only one time I really wanted to throttle him - 6 AM on a Sunday he was up there getting ready to go out of town (he worked for USA Track & Field)... I had a week of perfect silence following that!

Old 01-15-2018, 10:23 AM

37 posts, read 36,048 times
I've spent nearly all of my adult life living in apartments. Because of that, I have two rules for myself:

1. Particularly when it comes to older buildings like the one I live in now, I ONLY live on the top floor.
2. Not only do I make it a point to not stomp, I typically do not put on my shoes unless I'm about to leave the building. I don't even walk heel-first unless I'm in a hurry for some reason.

I base these rules on all the horrible experiences I've had with insensitive, inconsiderate upstairs neighbors. For the record: With only one exception, they were all white. With only one exception, there were no kids involved.

My current building is a two-flat (two-family) and my downstairs neighbor says I'm TOO quiet. LOL.

She's elderly and spends most of her time in one of the back bedrooms watching TV. I rarely go into that room but when I do I can typically hear her talking on the phone. When she has people over (which is often; I'm glad she's looked after) I can hear their conversations if I'm paying attention, which I almost never am.

We have a pact that neither of us can move without the other.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:33 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Carpet keeps the noise down.

But i have neighbors next door to me that about once or twice a day for a few minutes, the kids are playing and banging against my wall that is between their apartment and mine. I have artwork on the walls and was worried they'd knock them down and break the glass, however, they have not. They are crooked though from the banging..

I dont worry too much because its just a few minutes at a time. But sometimes it startles me when they do a BAM as if they are jumping on their bunk bed and banging against the wall.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:18 PM

9 posts, read 28,821 times
Is it normal to hear stomping from the room ADJACENT from you? I can definitely understand how noise translates from a top floor, but I can't comprehend why I can hear every footstep from the room next to my bedroom. And it's not just stomping or running noises; it's also random things banging against the wall.

I really wish there was something I could kick or punch to translate the noise back to them without damaging my wall. The muffled sound of footsteps makes me absolutely furious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting