Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 04:47 PM

64 posts, read 83,823 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

Well, just a little history..

I have a terribly acrimonious relationship with my upstairs neighbor who moved in a mother and her toddler last March. It's been a life altering, catastrophic event for me, and I am now going on 11 months of sleep deprivation. The noise is sometimes a decibel busting 90's range, info I never wanted to have to learn about if you know what I mean.

To boot he doesn't want to hear it and really doesn't care. He might even be a jerk. I actually feel very defeated by the whole thing, it's just worn me out.

On top of a running screaming toddler overhead going on 12 hours every day, I was subjected to 6 months of water torture from some bubbling device he has which he denied having. It sounded like an endless loop of water running into a tub and it came straight down the bearing wall where I sleep. Crazy making, water torture.

There is also the issue of the intense vibrating coming from the bearing wall we share

It is just unreal. I strongly suspect they have a washing machine, and maybe a dishwasher and a dryer because it's been going on since this morning. My whole apartment especially my seating area is vibrating and it feels like I am seated over a spin cycle. Every few days it will be like that.

It's an awful feeling, because it's a heavy vibration, a hum and the sound of the machinery.

Meanwhile their kid is running overhead. It is a nightmare. They have done some really nasty things too like NYE when I had just had it with the stomping and running all day long, and I got angry and demanded they stop making noise, they had their friends over and continually, purposely (not dancing) stomped and dropped heavy things. I have a 2 minute recording of it because it went on all night. Then the whole weekend they were terribly inconsiderate too.

I may end up at the rent board because I can't go on living like this.

In the meanwhile, does anyone know of a way I can insulate my furniture against vibrations? I've heard there was such a thing but can't quite pin it down. Tiles or something like that?

Any advice and words of encouragement would be so appreciated as we renters know managers don't give a damn until the money stops coming in, especially when you're long term and rent controlled.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 05:36 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Have you talked to management? Sounds like the places aren't very well insulated/sound-proofed. Move?

Old 01-09-2016, 06:01 PM

Yes many times. Moving well, if I was able to pay double or triple my rent, yes, but no

It's true the building is not well insulated but when you know you are breaking legal local decibel ordinances I would think a strong measure of sound insulation would be important to a person, just to be assured there will be no legal actions.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:56 PM

I mean I know it's not my biggest problem but just getting these vibrations somehow muffled would certainly be a step closer to a sane existence, if anyone has any ideas.

I am just kind of at the end of my rope with all this. I can't even lay down in my bed unless I am literally passing out from exhaustion.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:47 AM

544 posts, read 1,238,126 times
find out from the building if they are allowed to have these type of machinery in the apartment, also if the mother and child are on the lease? if so, would they be able to put some type of floor covering? if all of these do not work, would you be able to transfer apartments?

Old 01-10-2016, 09:49 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Do a google search for "vibration isolation pads" https://www.google.com/search?q=vibr...utf-8&oe=utf-8 there are lots of them around.

If there is a law in your area limiting the sound decibel levels (research and verify), and your neighbors are frequently exceeding them, than I can't imagine how the apartment would not be considered uninhabitable. Which would allow you to break your lease. But you would probably have to hire an acoustical consultant to verify this, and then present your landlord with the proof and demand to be let out of your lease (consult with an attorney on this). If they refuse to let you out of your lease you can take it to court and ask for a judgement.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Do a google search for "vibration isolation pads" https://www.google.com/search?q=vibr...utf-8&oe=utf-8 there are lots of them around.

If there is a law in your area limiting the sound decibel levels (research and verify), and your neighbors are frequently exceeding them, than I can't imagine how the apartment would not be considered uninhabitable. Which would allow you to break your lease. But you would probably have to hire an acoustical consultant to verify this, and then present your landlord with the proof and demand to be let out of your lease (consult with an attorney on this). If they refuse to let you out of your lease you can take it to court and ask for a judgement.
Thanks so much for your feedback.

No I definitely do not want to break my lease. I love my apartment and I have been here for 31 years, am rent controlled, and there is no way I could afford to move or pay current rents.

I did look up the decibel limits and downloaded 2 decibel meters, one on my phone and one on my computer and they are often up over 90 and definitely illegal.

It's the hiring I am daunted by. Who, how much will they charge, is that money down the drain..

There is also the problem that I believe they are creating noise hazards which may not be decibel busting but are just annoying for instance for 5 months I have dealt with the sound of running bath water where there is no bath or water. And the water sounds seem to have a volume control which comes right down the bearing wall where my bed is.

I **suspect** they are trying to harass me with that and also there is the terrible vibrations which have no logical schedule. I can't imagine what could be running so loud 24/7. This just started a couple months ago out of the blue and management has not been terribly concerned.

Anyway tonight will be my 3d night on a row of no sleep so I really appreciate those links to the vibration pads. At least there may be some hope there. Cheers

Last edited by Cozy&Mommy; 01-10-2016 at 10:49 PM..

Old 01-10-2016, 10:55 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Water... leaking commode Vibrations Washer/dryer. Contact LL or move!
Kid screaming for Hours Contact CPS!

Old 01-11-2016, 08:50 PM

151 posts, read 189,770 times
I would call the police every time there's excessive noise. Report to the landlord. Record the noise. Document it. Report the ****ty parenting to CPS. You have the right to quiet enjoyment of your own home. Sounds like another example of bad parenting. If you have children, live on a lower level apartment or live in your own home. People should not be subjected to listening to your brats stomp around 24/7. /End rant.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:57 AM

584 posts, read 1,935,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayelle77 View Post
I would call the police every time there's excessive noise. Report to the landlord. Record the noise. Document it. Report the ****ty parenting to CPS. You have the right to quiet enjoyment of your own home. Sounds like another example of bad parenting. If you have children, live on a lower level apartment or live in your own home. People should not be subjected to listening to your brats stomp around 24/7. /End rant.
the quite enjoyment clause is not what most people think , what it means the land lord and or his repetitiveness will not do any thing to ruing your enjoyment of the place not that kids cant make a sound or your neighbor can not walk with shoes on and have to tip toe,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting