Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 04:07 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,030 times

Advertisements

I live in a 3-unit townhouse in the center unit. The neighbors to the right of me are a quiet retired couple who are no problem and have been very courteous. To the left of me--totally different story.

Shortly after we moved in, we noticed a ROACH in the hallway. That is just not going to happen in my house so of course I cleaned it top to bottom and put down roach traps. I keep the place immaculate and we don't keep food out or dirty.

This seemed to help for a little while then again we saw some small roaches.

The neighbors next door were complaining about roaches and I can see why.

I think that the last time they cleaned the place must have been sometime during the 1990s. Filthy. Everytime I see it, opened food all over the kitchen and dishes with food on them in the sink. Geez, wonder where the roaches are coming from?!

These people have 3 kids who are always trashing the yard and leaving garbage all over the front lawn.

It has been mentioned to them a couple of times nicely that their kids (or them) should pick up the mess on the front yard. It has also been mentioned to them that the reason for the roach issue is probably their terrible housekeeping and leaving food out.

I don't live in a bad area. I live in a middle-upper class area. I don't expect people to be immaculate like I am but also don't expect the yard to look like the town dump or to have roaches because someone else can't get off their lazy arse and put the food away that's been sitting open for a few days.

I'm almost ready to go to the landlord, but putting out here first--am I being a jerk by thinking this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 04:19 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,235,904 times
You have no right to complain about how a private space is kept. The yard issues you can complain about, assuming it is public space shared between all of you, but the interior of their unit is between them and the landlord and unless there is damage the landlord cannot evict because they are messy. Here there is actually city ordinances that regulate trash and debris which a tenant can complain about to a government agency, it is against the law to keep trash in any non-private space aka littering.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:28 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
What does your lease say about cleanliness? Your neighbors probably have the same language in their lease.

What does it say about the responsibility for pest control? In a multi-unit building it is usually the landlord, because treating one unit usually does nothing in the long run.

Talk to the landlord. He will want to inspect the neighbor's apartment. If it's dirty, he will want it cleaned up or the tenants out.

All the units will then need to be treated.

I feel your pain. DH and I were in the same situation once.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:29 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
You have no right to complain about how a private space is kept. The yard issues you can complain about, assuming it is public space shared between all of you, but the interior of their unit is between them and the landlord and unless there is damage the landlord cannot evict because they are messy. Here there is actually city ordinances that regulate trash and debris which a tenant can complain about to a government agency, it is against the law to keep trash in any non-private space aka littering.
The space belongs to the landlord. He has the right to expect it to be kept clean. Filth is not messiness. Filth is unacceptable.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:57 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The space belongs to the landlord. He has the right to expect it to be kept clean. Filth is not messiness. Filth is unacceptable.

I agree that tenants have every right to complain especially when tenants are noticing cockroaches and or nasty smells, garbage, etc in any of the common areas of the building. LLs/PMs should be inspecting all units at least once a year anyway.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:00 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,235,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I agree but the OP is a tenant and not the landlord and it is very difficult to evict over dirty dishes. The landlord would have to prove that the condition the tenant lives is a health hazard or is attracting pests and both of those are hard to do.

OP could call CPS on the filth and they will inspect the living space.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:13 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
I agree but the OP is a tenant and not the landlord and it is very difficult to evict over dirty dishes. The landlord would have to prove that the condition the tenant lives is a health hazard or is attracting pests and both of those are hard to do.

OP could call CPS on the filth and they will inspect the living space.

It is not just filth that the OP is worried about. They said they are finding live cockroaches in the hallways which in essence is due to the filth. All the OP wants to know is if they should contact the LL to inspect and rectify. I would think any decent LL would definitely want to inspect before it gets out of control. No one said anything about evicting anyone.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:55 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times
What does the Lease say about who responsible for extermination Fees. IF it the LL Contact him in Writing about the Roaches in the Common Areas & let him know they Are coming into your apt.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:50 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I live in a 3-unit townhouse in the center unit. The neighbors to the right of me are a quiet retired couple who are no problem and have been very courteous. To the left of me--totally different story.

Shortly after we moved in, we noticed a ROACH in the hallway. That is just not going to happen in my house so of course I cleaned it top to bottom and put down roach traps. I keep the place immaculate and we don't keep food out or dirty.

This seemed to help for a little while then again we saw some small roaches.

The neighbors next door were complaining about roaches and I can see why.

I think that the last time they cleaned the place must have been sometime during the 1990s. Filthy. Everytime I see it, opened food all over the kitchen and dishes with food on them in the sink. Geez, wonder where the roaches are coming from?!

These people have 3 kids who are always trashing the yard and leaving garbage all over the front lawn.

It has been mentioned to them a couple of times nicely that their kids (or them) should pick up the mess on the front yard. It has also been mentioned to them that the reason for the roach issue is probably their terrible housekeeping and leaving food out.

I don't live in a bad area. I live in a middle-upper class area. I don't expect people to be immaculate like I am but also don't expect the yard to look like the town dump or to have roaches because someone else can't get off their lazy arse and put the food away that's been sitting open for a few days.

I'm almost ready to go to the landlord, but putting out here first--am I being a jerk by thinking this?

Do you both have the same landlord? If so, call your landlord and tell him you have roaches and want your unit treated. If he's smart he'll treat both units at the same time and then HE can see for himself the condition of the unit and make his own suggestions/requests.

As for their housekeeping...that's their landlord's business, not yours.

Watch Hoarders if you want to see filth.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:08 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
Buy Combat Roach Gel at any local store. Roaches will be gone within a few days. Less than $10 for a tube which you only need 1 tube. Put very small amts over your entire unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting