Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 08:44 AM

151 posts, read 189,770 times

Advertisements

Also, cats can cause just as much damage. I would say only 1 or 2 cats in a unit, must be neutered, no fleas, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 08:45 AM

151 posts, read 189,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I think a Cat Litter Box STINKS! IMO
Depends on the pet owner. I have a cat. His box doesn't stink because it's cleaned daily.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:24 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayelle77 View Post
Depends on the pet owner. I have a cat. His box doesn't stink because it's cleaned daily.
I totally agree, and others will too!

Old 02-03-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayelle77 View Post
Also, cats can cause just as much damage. I would say only 1 or 2 cats in a unit, must be neutered, no fleas, etc...
Cats can cause damage if they're bored, just like dogs. A scratching post and toys will alleviate the problem. I also agree with the 1 or 1 cat limit, being spayed/neutered, and the flea problem doesn't come in on the cat unless they go outside. My cat gets fleas that come in on me, but he gets treated, and so does the apartment.

There are responsible pet owners and irresponsible pet owners

Old 02-03-2016, 09:38 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Cats can cause damage if they're bored, just like dogs. A scratching post and toys will alleviate the problem. I also agree with the 1 or 1 cat limit, being spayed/neutered, and the flea problem doesn't come in on the cat unless they go outside. My cat gets fleas that come in on me, but he gets treated, and so does the apartment.

There are responsible pet owners and irresponsible pet owners
A cat can tear up your furniture, etc., but it's not going to be bark incessantly and cats are more willing to sleep and lay around than dogs.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:31 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
Its hilarious that its cat owners saying cat boxes dont stink. Of course you dont think they stink, you LIVE with them. Its called being noseblind.

I have friends who keep their houses pristine, with cats, that they keep incredibly clean. I can still smell them when I walk in their house.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:40 PM

403 posts, read 472,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm in a building of eight apartments (four per floor) that all open into a common hallway. There are breed restrictions, but numerous folks in the building have large dogs that are allowed. There aren't any problems with the dogs being aggressive, but they bark often and it's inevitable they'll use the bathroom in the apartments. With that common area, the smell of animal waste/stink just kind of hangs in the air. Some days it's downright overpowering.

Personally, I think it's a bit cruel to keep a large dog confined like this in an apartment. FWIW, I also think it's cruel to keep dogs kenneled for extended periods. Even small dogs are going to stink, etc., much more than cats IMO.

The smell and barking is unpleasant. Do you think dogs should be prohibited in apartments?
No I don't think so because i hate that smell sometimes when I come inside the door when walking down the hallway. I hope I can get lucky and find a place that doesn't allow pets in a few months.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:03 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I think people who move into a pet friendly apartment building but then complain about the animals there should be prohibited in apartments.

If you don't like it, find a no pet complex.
Sometimes you DO move in to a no pet building and those rules change over time.
i have seen this happens when retention issues start and rules need to be adjusted to fill apartments.

the last place we where staying at did this to fill the spaces quickly by allowing the market to open.

Apartment living is what it is and nothing is ever going to be in you direct control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Its hilarious that its cat owners saying cat boxes dont stink. Of course you dont think they stink, you LIVE with them. Its called being noseblind.

I have friends who keep their houses pristine, with cats, that they keep incredibly clean. I can still smell them when I walk in their house.
I have family and friends who have cats in their apartments...I would never know they are their had I not been able to seen them. I'm not "nose blind" to these things as I have never owned or lived with cats.
....alternatively I have been in other people's living spaces who had them and couldn't help but notice the smell.

It's not as simple as "all cats make places smell bad"

It's a variety of factors that make it so.

Last edited by rego00123; 02-03-2016 at 11:23 PM..

Old 02-04-2016, 12:00 AM

Quote:

I have a former landlord that couldn't smell a litter box. He said that if he'd never know that I had a cat, if I hadn't told him.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:28 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:

No, it's hilarious that you think all cat boxes stink...they don't.

I've had numerous people, including landlords, friends, family, co workers, neighbors and maintenance people comment on how they would have never known I had a cat if they didn't see him. You cannot smell my cat's box. You can stand right next to it and not smell it.

Our realtors told us the same thing when we were selling our houses. They said if they hadn't seen the cat and the dog for themselves, they wouldn't have guessed we had pets because our house doesn't smell like pets. Oh, and both houses sold in less than a week for full asking price. Stinky homes don't sell fast nor do they sell for the full asking price.

My son in law, who is an OCD anal smell-a-fiend, is amazed that my cat box doesn't stink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting