Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 09:53 AM

118 posts, read 67,025 times

Advertisements

Hi

I posted in the NJ portion regarding a nightmare/non paying tenant for 6mths. They are now requesting thru a "potential new landlord" a reference letter in which it states they were good tenants and never late with rent, which OBVIOUSLY they have been hence them being kicked out.
Its a catch 22 because i DO NOT want to lie to another poor landlord and have them stuck with this family but I also desperately want them out of my property.

I have a suit filed for monies owed etc but now I am stuck because I want them out but my conscious wont allow me to give them a good reference!

Recommendation? I responded that we do not give references until tenant is out of the unit and a walk through has been conducted etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 10:40 AM

486 posts, read 417,282 times
This is why it's retarded for landlords to be so insistent on landlord referrals. Good tenant = good reference. Bad tenant = old landlord wants them out so they give a good reference. Bad tenant = gets their friend to pretend to be a landlord and give them a good tenant.

Tell the tenant you're happy to give a good reference as soon as he's paid up.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:12 AM

34,105 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJnewbielandlord View Post
Recommendation?
"You can give them my address. Be sure they include their information when they write me with their questions."

Don't volunteer to give up information that hasn't actually been asked for.
And maybe not then either.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLinVA View Post
This is why it's retarded for landlords to be so insistent on landlord referrals. Good tenant = good reference. Bad tenant = old landlord wants them out so they give a good reference. Bad tenant = gets their friend to pretend to be a landlord and give them a good tenant.

Tell the tenant you're happy to give a good reference as soon as he's paid up.
I know! Its absolutely bat ****!!!!

But he's not going to pay me over 13K for the good reference to get out, he is happily living for free in our home!!!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 07-07-2020, 12:39 PM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times
Very few bad tenants give their real landlord as a reference. I almost never get calls from landlords over bad tenants. Your tenants will find someone else who doesn't check references. Or your tenant will lie and get a friend to pretend to be their landlord. They will trick someone into taking them. You don't have to worry about them not finding another place.

If that other landlord is one of the landlords who actually checks and tries to keep bad tenants out, please don't lie to him.

I suggest that you tell the inquirer that you can not give a reference unless you have a signed release from the tenant authorizing you to give information about them, their rental history, their payment history, their pets, their smoking, and their care of the unit.

Also, never put your references in writing. They can call you and you will talk to them on the phone. If they have the signed permission and they call you stick strictly to the facts: late so many times, whatever else they have done or haven't done. Do not express any opinions. You can put your disapproval into the tone of your voice. If that landlord is sharp, he will pick up on it.

The very few times a bad tenant has used me for a reference and I was honest, the tenant still moved. They found someone else to take them.

Old 07-07-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Very few bad tenants give their real landlord as a reference. I almost never get calls from landlords over bad tenants. Your tenants will find someone else who doesn't check references. Or your tenant will lie and get a friend to pretend to be their landlord. They will trick someone into taking them. You don't have to worry about them not finding another place.

If that other landlord is one of the landlords who actually checks and tries to keep bad tenants out, please don't lie to him.

I suggest that you tell the inquirer that you can not give a reference unless you have a signed release from the tenant authorizing you to give information about them, their rental history, their payment history, their pets, their smoking, and their care of the unit.

Also, never put your references in writing. They can call you and you will talk to them on the phone. If they have the signed permission and they call you stick strictly to the facts: late so many times, whatever else they have done or haven't done. Do not express any opinions. You can put your disapproval into the tone of your voice. If that landlord is sharp, he will pick up on it.

The very few times a bad tenant has used me for a reference and I was honest, the tenant still moved. They found someone else to take them.
Thank you and I agree that I simply would not lie to them as I would not want it done to me.

I simply stated that we do not provide references. The person responded that they needed it in order to rent the apartment. But they asked for such specifics that it would totally work against them if i bothered answering. I cant believe they have the GALL to even ask us for one and am suspecting it is just ANOTHER stalling tactic

Old 07-07-2020, 01:24 PM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times
Also, as soon as they are out, get a judgement against them and get it recorded. That will warn future landlords.

Old 07-07-2020, 04:05 PM

34,105 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJnewbielandlord View Post
But he's not going to pay me over 13K...
He wouldn't (won't) pay the first $3000 of that.
Regain possession. Clean it up and rent it again. Be more careful with screening. Move on.

Old 07-07-2020, 05:03 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,920,036 times
Quote:
But he's not going to pay me over 13K for the good reference to get out, he is happily living for free in our home!!!

How the hell did you let that happen?

Old 07-07-2020, 08:05 PM

828 posts, read 417,236 times
You handled it right. Stick with your plan.

Then once out only give an honest reference if they want one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting