Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 09:49 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,799,160 times

Advertisements

A few years ago, I had the tenant from hell. I cannot even begin to go into the nightmare that she put us through. Then, thankfully, she got a Sec 8 voucher, and asked if I would accept Sec 8. Usually I do, but I told her I would not, just to get rid of her. I let her out of her lease. A potential landlord called me to ask about her. Before she could say anything, I told her, "One thing I CAN tell you about her is that she ALWAYS paid her rent on time." The future LL was satisfied with that, didn't ask anything else.

The fact was, she DID pay her rent on time, by registered, return-receipt-requested mail every month, because she'd been so horrible that she knew I'd evict her the instant the rent was late.

I found out afterwards that she pulled the same crap on the next landlord (illegally taking over attic/basement space, denying the landlord access, getting the electric company to put her meter into the landlord's name, falsely claiming that shared areas were on her meter. Eventually, she managed to put the next landlord into an awful situation where she manipulated her into being arrested by the police. I felt so guilty - but I DID tell her the truth, just not the whole truth. When asking for references, you always have to go back to the landlords that they've already left, to find out the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 07:43 AM

118 posts, read 67,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Also, as soon as they are out, get a judgement against them and get it recorded. That will warn future landlords.
Already in the works :-)

Old 07-08-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
He wouldn't (won't) pay the first $3000 of that.
Regain possession. Clean it up and rent it again. Be more careful with screening. Move on.
I KNOW! But I sued him so even if I dont see a penny of it, it'll be on his/their record and they will not be able to hurt anyone else this way again

Old 07-08-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
How the hell did you let that happen?
Started with March rent and thru now, plus damages to a main door.
He quickly jumped on the Covid situation wagon but had already been giving me the run around BEFORE things shut down, by the time it did, my hands were legally tied.

I wish however I had known that back then I couldve still filed the eviction notice/process regardless of whether they were being scheduled because it would've been on record back then. I am learning :-)

Old 07-08-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve19605 View Post
You handled it right. Stick with your plan.

Then once out only give an honest reference if they want one.
I absolutely plan on but more so with the filing, it will be a direct warning to anyone when they look him up. When I did the background check on him/them, nothing came up so I am sure they were dealing with people in the past that just shoved them out the door and were patient. I will not make the mistake of not warning others.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
A few years ago, I had the tenant from hell. I cannot even begin to go into the nightmare that she put us through. Then, thankfully, she got a Sec 8 voucher, and asked if I would accept Sec 8. Usually I do, but I told her I would not, just to get rid of her. I let her out of her lease. A potential landlord called me to ask about her. Before she could say anything, I told her, "One thing I CAN tell you about her is that she ALWAYS paid her rent on time." The future LL was satisfied with that, didn't ask anything else.

The fact was, she DID pay her rent on time, by registered, return-receipt-requested mail every month, because she'd been so horrible that she knew I'd evict her the instant the rent was late.

I found out afterwards that she pulled the same crap on the next landlord (illegally taking over attic/basement space, denying the landlord access, getting the electric company to put her meter into the landlord's name, falsely claiming that shared areas were on her meter. Eventually, she managed to put the next landlord into an awful situation where she manipulated her into being arrested by the police. I felt so guilty - but I DID tell her the truth, just not the whole truth. When asking for references, you always have to go back to the landlords that they've already left, to find out the truth.
Holy crap!!! See I am not about this landlord life! NOT FOR ME. This guy is just a HABITUAL liar and ALWAYS with a story about why he was late, literally from the first month. I was patient because they have a little girl, were nice enough (never rude or disrespectful etc), but the guy is a STORY BOX!! I finally lost my shyt and then he started saying I was harassing him - i can be quite blunt, which he took as harassment.

Needless to say, I am going to do a fking rain dance when they are out of the house

Old 07-09-2020, 04:25 PM

32,680 posts, read 48,196,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJnewbielandlord View Post
........ I cant believe they have the GALL to even ask us for one and am suspecting it is just ANOTHER stalling tactic

Wait! It was the tenant who asked you to write them a nice reference? Absolutely no way. They are trying to get something in writing that will prevent you from collecting damages.

If a new landlord wants a reference the landlord will contact you directly.

Old 07-15-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Wait! It was the tenant who asked you to write them a nice reference? Absolutely no way. They are trying to get something in writing that will prevent you from collecting damages.

If a new landlord wants a reference the landlord will contact you directly.
The potential landlord contacted us DIRECTLY but the tenant gave them my info. I told him straight up that I would tell them they have been late and how many times if I wrote that reference letter. I would never put anything in writing that would contradict what is happening with this case.

Old 07-15-2020, 03:34 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,799,160 times
Look on a website and FB group called bigger pockets. EVERYONE has drunk the Kool-aid on buying residential rental real estate. You could sell your rentals for inflated prices right now. People are doing all sort of "creative" financing to buy properties with no money down, for little to no return on investment. It's totally nuts - they think that if it "cash flows", or has the potential for appreciation, they should buy it, even if they have to borrow a million dollars to buy a property that will "cash flow" $100 (optimistically) a month.

So, take advantage of their foolish mania, and sell now for high prices. Get out of the business of landlording.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Look on a website and FB group called bigger pockets. EVERYONE has drunk the Kool-aid on buying residential rental real estate. You could sell your rentals for inflated prices right now. People are doing all sort of "creative" financing to buy properties with no money down, for little to no return on investment. It's totally nuts - they think that if it "cash flows", or has the potential for appreciation, they should buy it, even if they have to borrow a million dollars to buy a property that will "cash flow" $100 (optimistically) a month.

So, take advantage of their foolish mania, and sell now for high prices. Get out of the business of landlording.
you are not kidding!!! I did not go into the business of renting and would never! That was our starter home, and when we found our dream home i needed to scoop it up QUICKLY (long beautiful boring story) and I didnt have time to sell that home (I closed on my new home in 26 days lol), so I opted to rent it out while I got settled. I ABSOLUTELY plan on selling that house ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting