Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 12:02 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,048,783 times

Advertisements

I would not be interested as I want to choose who gets to go into my home and even more so take my pet out. So for those reasons I would not be interested. I would think that if it became popular the business would grow and eventually 'whoever' working for the business would be coming into my home and taking...whatever...plus my pet.

Only close trusted friends and relatives get keys and access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 07:26 AM

13,732 posts, read 12,538,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP, I allow dogs and have had very little trouble from dogs in my rentals. I interview the dog before it is accepted and I evaluate the dog's manners and training. I evaluate how well cared for the dog is. I discuss with the potential tenants their philosophy of dog care.

I also have a list of breeds I do not allow. It is my insurance company's banned breeds list plus a few of my own.
Curious, what have you added to your list and why? I assume the insurance list is the typical pit/rotty/doberman/chow/shepherd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Please provide the correct, fabulous, logic.
The insurance isn't so much as to protect the resident's chattel in case of a loss, as it is for liability. If YOU burn the house down cooking in the kitchen, then your roommates insurance will cover his hotel and his $2,000 worth of stuff, but you will be out in the cold, and on the hook for the damages.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:21 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,119,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Curious, what have you added to your list and why? I assume the insurance list is the typical pit/rotty/doberman/chow/shepherd.

around here boxers and bulldogs have been added to many lists. Our HOA has the typical one..no bully breeds...pits, rottie, dobie, shepards (and other shepard-ish breeds), chows, akitas, they haven't gotten on the bulldog boxer train .....yet.

The insurance isn't so much as to protect the resident's chattel in case of a loss, as it is for liability. If YOU burn the house down cooking in the kitchen, then your roommates insurance will cover his hotel and his $2,000 worth of stuff, but you will be out in the cold, and on the hook for the damages.
rental insurance is for the tenant and the tenant only. It will cover the tenants loss of use and loss of goods as well as any negligence on their part...in addition to the property insurance that is already in place. Ins or not, if he burns the house down he will be on the hook one way or another especially without ins or adequate coverage.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
rental insurance is for the tenant and the tenant only. It will cover the tenants loss of use and loss of goods as well as any negligence on their part...in addition to the property insurance that is already in place. Ins or not, if he burns the house down he will be on the hook one way or another especially without ins or adequate coverage.
Right, Its for me, if I burn the kitchen frying chicken and the LL's insurance subrogates the loss, i turn it over to my renters insurance.

I wonder how much the boxer/bulldog is because people claim their pit is a boxer/bulldog? I have a friend who just adopted a "lab mix." He insists its a lab mix. Bull, its a pit bull, probably a pure pit bull. Lots of these shelters advertise pits as "lab mixes."

Old 05-03-2016, 08:23 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,871,968 times
as a pet owner- no thanks!

Old 05-03-2016, 01:08 PM

32,756 posts, read 48,422,263 times
Quote:
Curious, what have you added to your list and why? I assume the insurance list is the typical pit/rotty/doberman/chow/shepherd. ......
Pit Bull, Part Pit Bull, anything that looks even vaguely like a pit bull. Staffordshire Terrier, Dobermann Pinscher, Rottweiler, Akita, Chow,Tosa Inu,Presa Canario, Dogo Argentino, Ban Dog, any of the Russian shepherds, Kerry Blue terriers, American Bulldog, Great Pyrenees, Anatolian Shepherd, Russian Black Terrier.

One of my insurance companies does not allow German Shepherds, Boxers, or malamutes. If it is a house that is with the insurance company that does not have a dangerous dog list, I will take them if they pass the temperament screening.

No dogs under 1 year, no terriers under 18 months, no outside only dogs. Dogs must be neutered and vaccinated and have a current valid rabies certificate. I don't have any size limit and prefer big dogs.

If you'd like to be rejected so fast it'll blow your hair back, tell me you will get rid of your dog if that will get you the house.

I don't take biters, barkers, or piddlers. I don't take timid dogs or fear biters. Dogs have to be well groomed, have good manners, and tolerate handling from a stranger with no objection. I don't expect them to fawn over me, but they can't object to my touching and petting them.

I would have accepted a very nice beautifully behaved Isabella Doberman belonging to a well qualified couple, except that they kept insisting that the dog was a Weimaraner. I would have taken the dog, I don't take applicants that lie to me.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:54 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,621,303 times
I'd never do this.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Pit Bull, Part Pit Bull, anything that looks even vaguely like a pit bull. Staffordshire Terrier, Dobermann Pinscher, Rottweiler, Akita, Chow,Tosa Inu,Presa Canario, Dogo Argentino, Ban Dog, any of the Russian shepherds, Kerry Blue terriers, American Bulldog, Great Pyrenees, Anatolian Shepherd, Russian Black Terrier.

One of my insurance companies does not allow German Shepherds, Boxers, or malamutes. If it is a house that is with the insurance company that does not have a dangerous dog list, I will take them if they pass the temperament screening.

No dogs under 1 year, no terriers under 18 months, no outside only dogs. Dogs must be neutered and vaccinated and have a current valid rabies certificate. I don't have any size limit and prefer big dogs.

If you'd like to be rejected so fast it'll blow your hair back, tell me you will get rid of your dog if that will get you the house.

I don't take biters, barkers, or piddlers. I don't take timid dogs or fear biters. Dogs have to be well groomed, have good manners, and tolerate handling from a stranger with no objection. I don't expect them to fawn over me, but they can't object to my touching and petting them.

I would have accepted a very nice beautifully behaved Isabella Doberman belonging to a well qualified couple, except that they kept insisting that the dog was a Weimaraner. I would have taken the dog, I don't take applicants that lie to me.
Makes sense. The only one's I wonder about are the Malamute and Pyrenese, especially the Pyrenese, unless they are dog-aggressive?

Old 05-04-2016, 03:10 PM

32,756 posts, read 48,422,263 times
Quote:
Makes sense. The only one's I wonder about are the Malamute and Pyrenese, especially the Pyrenese, unless they are dog-aggressive?
Malamutes are on my insurance company banned list. I will accept them in my properties that are with a different insurance company that doesn't have a banned breeds list (I use 3 different insurance companies for my insurance on the houses).

Great Pyrenees are non-stop barkers. They will stand outside and bark non-stop for hours on end. That's how they are bred to warn the wolves and coyotes away from the sheep. They can also be dog aggressive because they are bred to keep wolves, coyotes, and stray dogs away from their sheep. They are bred to fight and kill anything that attacks their sheep. I can evaluate temperament so I am not so much worried about dog aggression, but I don't want to hear calls from my neighbors complaining about barking.

If you are making your own list, don't take beagles or any of the scent hound if the tenant leaves the dog outside. They will bay and it is loud. There are two Plott Hounds 3 1/2 miles from my house and I can hear them at night, baying at the moon. They are faint noise for me, but their neighbors all hate them because they go on and on and they are loud. Hounds kept inside th house aren't a problem.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:48 PM

27 posts, read 19,755 times
I see this is a few months old but it caught my attention because of something I just posted about pets. I think it is an interesting idea of course would take research and thought. I do have a question so instead of monthly pet rent (which I have heard of I just don't know if a lot of people in my area that have that) you simply increase your rent a small percentage on all you rentals. There is still a normal deposit and pet fee or refundable pet deposit? I agree with most I might not use a lot of things on your list but maybe providing a list of different kinds of pet services from a few different companies that you have worked a deal and your tenants get a discount. Also depending on your properties investing in materials that are more pet friendly (easier to clean and not as easily damaged) I said in my other post my friend lives in a very pet friendly apartment complex and they advertise it. They have 2 dog parks within the complex although I'm not sure what else they offer. Of course screening the pets and making sure they are UTD on shots. For responsible pet owners who rent its probably nice to find place that rents to them. I think of done the right way it could be a nice niche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting