Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 01:30 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,522,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I allow pets on some rentals. My additional deposit for pets is a pretty hefty charge. Enough to have the tenant put some skin in the game. I don't charge a monthly pet rent. I guess I could but I don't. I recently implemented a renters insurance policy for 100k coverage but that's regardless of pet or no pet. I offer no services for pets at all.

That's a ripoff. I have no pets and nothing at home worth more than $50, which is what I paid for this old laptop. Since I'm renting a room and have no way to secure the room when not at home - nope, no key! - I'd be offended by a requirement to carry renters insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Having a nice walk midday does not stop an untrained dog from barking when alone. It does not stop a dog from fouling the house because a dog needs to go outside more than once a day.

Who is going to pay the dog walker? Because some tenants will promise whatever you ask for but in practice, they won't come up with the money to pay for it.

I doubt that you would get as much discount as you hope for. The dog walker comes to one area, but still must go to each individual house, secure the dogs, walk then all, and then go back to each individual house to return the dogs.

I assume you are considering paying a second service to come around 3-4 times a week and clean up any dog poop on the grounds.

As a dog owner, I would be reluctant to pay $300 a month for a dog walker. I can take care of my own dog and I don't like having a stranger opening my door and the additional risk of my dog escaping. Every adult dog I've ever owned has been able to go 8 hours without accidents. Also, is that $300 a month per dog, because I have 3 dogs.

Why would a dog be alone? In this house, there's pretty much always someone in the house and the two dogs get plenty of human attention and are happy.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP, I allow dogs and have had very little trouble from dogs in my rentals. I interview the dog before it is accepted and I evaluate the dog's manners and training. I evaluate how well cared for the dog is. I discuss with the potential tenants their philosophy of dog care.

I also have a list of breeds I do not allow. It is my insurance company's banned breeds list plus a few of my own.

I do not allow puppies. Dogs must be over 12 months old and over 18 months old for terriers. I require rabies vaccination and dogs must be neutered or spayed. The dog that is permitted is described and named on the rental agreement, no additional animals may be added without written permission.

I only use month to month rental agreements and if the dog causes any problems, I simply give the tenant notice to vacate. I've had two different tenants sneak in a pit bull and those tenants got their notice to leave, no arguing, no remedy, and no second chances.

I happen to have free standing houses with fenced yards and 3/4 of my houses have dog doors. If I owned apartment buildings, I would not allow pets. The tenants can't get along as it is, complaining about the noise of walking and plumbing running. I wouldn't need to add all the additional complaints about pet noise, pet dirt, and whatever aspect of the pet bothered the neighbor tenant's delicate little sensibilities.

I was going to make a wisecrack about interviewing a dog, but I decided to first consult Google and learned it's actually a meme.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:02 PM

17,403 posts, read 12,007,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
That's a ripoff. I have no pets and nothing at home worth more than $50, which is what I paid for this old laptop. Since I'm renting a room and have no way to secure the room when not at home - nope, no key! - I'd be offended by a requirement to carry renters insurance.
I believe they are referring to an actual rental property, not a room in a boarding house. Not the same thing at all.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:02 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,723,840 times
Quote:

Renter's insurance is not just for coverage for your belongings/contents. It is also covers things such as fire damage to other's property due to your negligence, theft, liability etc, etc. Too many countless other things it covers to mention here so just google it and you will learn a lot more about what it covers.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:19 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,033,372 times
The OP said that he/she might be able to cut the price down to $75 a month. I think the idea is that the property owner/manager is going to talk to the pet walking service to try to negotiate a lower rate for tenants in exchange for providing the service with a whole ton of business, all in a close proximity. Could work out to be a good deal for everyone involved, if people had an open mind.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
The OP said that he/she might be able to cut the price down to $75 a month. I think the idea is that the property owner/manager is going to talk to the pet walking service to try to negotiate a lower rate for tenants in exchange for providing the service with a whole ton of business, all in a close proximity. Could work out to be a good deal for everyone involved, if people had an open mind.

Correct, but as I said before, it will be a maintenance headache/nightmare. It will only go to $75 a month if enough people participate AND remain on the program. If people start dropping out or decreasing their service. etc, then it is eventually going to tip it to the point where the price goes up again. Then more people will start dropping out because it is no longer cost effective and so forth and so on. Some tenants may want to have their dog(s) walked only once a day or once a week for that matter. This is where the maintenance headaches of the program will be and the complaints, etc will go to the owner/LL/PM.

I can see recommending (only) a service as a courtesy however, tenants could also find someone on their own if they really wanted to at probably a much cheaper rate based on their specific needs and wants.

Last edited by Corn-fused; 04-27-2016 at 05:16 PM..

Old 04-27-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Renter's insurance is not just for coverage for your belongings/contents. It is also covers things such as fire damage to other's property due to your negligence, theft, liability etc, etc. Too many countless other things it covers to mention here so just google it and you will learn a lot more about what it covers.

I got an online quote for like $35 a month and said fuhgeddaboutit. If I ever carry it again I'll go with GEICO which charged me like $12 a month and didn't even pull my credit.

The insurance is usually a ripoff in roommate situations because EVERYONE has to separately pay for their own coverage in order to be adequately covered.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I got an online quote for like $35 a month and said fuhgeddaboutit. If I ever carry it again I'll go with GEICO which charged me like $12 a month and didn't even pull my credit.

The insurance is usually a ripoff in roommate situations because EVERYONE has to separately pay for their own coverage in order to be adequately covered.

Horrible logic........horrible, horrible, horrible.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Horrible logic........horrible, horrible, horrible.

Please provide the correct, fabulous, logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting