Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 11:02 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,839,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
I agreed to a lease buyout once in a similar situation. It was 3 months rent and security deposit was returned to tenant after minor charges for repairs.

I too, put the home up for sale and it sold in a couple weeks, so while you signed a lease, I think your landlord is being greedy. I think your offer of security deposit plus 3 months rent is fair, but put it in writing via email, text and registered mail so if and when you end up in court you have documentation to prove your offer.

How is 3 months fair when the tenant agreed to pay 12 months? Who is being greedy here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 04:35 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,329,967 times
Because the landlord is going to sell rather than rerent.

Do you own rentals? Have you ever sold a house? Were you not honest and fair to all parties?

Again, I would talk to an attorney ASAP.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:51 PM

9,867 posts, read 7,740,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baughle View Post
They are not letting us sublet or find replacement tenants.I offered to list on all the websites and screen tenants and do all the leg work for them, but they only want to sell the home at this time.
Are you getting any of this in writing?

I think a judge would say their side is unreasonable. Definitely see an attorney or the fair housing office in your area.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:41 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,260,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baughle View Post
I'm not assuming the landlord will act in bad faith. They are really great people and we've had a great experience renting from them, but the market here is very slow and we simply can't afford to pay double rent while the homeowners list for sale versus rent. The homeowners do not use a property management company to rent so they aren't going to list it as either or. It will be listed for sale with no other outlets listing it for rent besides craigslist. And yes, my husband works for a company that relocates employees on a regular basis. This is our 3rd move in 3 years...
I would expect mitigation support from husband's employer if they are ordering the relocation. Has he approached an HR rep about the situation? Technically this 11months rent in question could be considered a moving cost for relocation assistance.

And certainly if you are moving that often, in the future be sure to check out the early lease termination clause on your next place and look for 6 month leases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting