Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 07:03 PM

539 posts, read 567,221 times

Advertisements

I moved into an apartment about a year and a half ago, accepted apartment completely as is, previous tenants furniture and toothbrush still here type of as is. Absolutely no cleaning was done. Turns out he was a party person and where a picture was hanging was the hole of what looks like a butt in the drywall. There's a hole in the bathroom door. The carpet has multiple cigarette stains and when I lay down on it I can smell urine of some sort. There's even what looks like an explosion of some sort in our toddlers room like a bottlerocket or something else small like that on the ceiling. Other problems too but they're even more irrelevant.

Also, the previous tenant wasn't a complete stranger, in case any questions arise. We NEEDED an apartment asap and he needed to move ASAP and the small landlord was overjoyed that the tenant basically advertised, no turnover on the landlords part.

Current dilemma. We have a rabbit now (landlord said it was cool) and everything was great and fantastic until he began puberty. Poor little guy is confined to a cage or held in our arms until he reaches the neutered age to get things snipped. Before we completely stopped taking him out, he ripped out some carpet.

With everything else wrong with the carpet (even the previous tenant tore out a decent chunk) because we were the last residents, if the landlord decides to replace the carpet after we leave, do we have to pay for the depreciated value of the carpet for the WHOLE apartment even the messes we didn't do or just the livingroom or what? Similar question, with accepting it as is, did we accept responsibility of other problems stated above? I don't mind kissing my security deposit goodbye for the carpet problems WE caused, but I don't want to have to pay absurdly extra for what we didn't do. That's probably why the previous tenant was like SEE YA! But we were desperate and didn't have another option at the time (no not eviction or anything of the like, personal/moving/new job dilemma)

Ps- If the refrigerator dies in an apartment, is it the tenant's responsibility or the landlord's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 07:10 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,707,073 times
Did you take photos of everything at move-in and complete a check-in list documenting everything that was wrong/damaged? You should have to protect yourself.

Normally, if appliances came with the apartment and it was advertised as such then the LL should replace it without charge as long as you aren't the one that caused damaged to require the replacement. What does your lease state regarding appliances?

Old 08-14-2016, 07:10 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,447,597 times
You set yourself to lose your deposit. I guess you can chalk it up to the cost of expediency for possession. Unless condition was well documented you will be on the hook for damages, or a costly court battle. If the refrigerator is included then yes landlord is responsible if it is normal wear and tear, damage is another matter and LL wouldn't be.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:16 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
A lot depends upon whether the previous tenant's lease was officially terminated and you received a new lease or whether you are subletting. If you are subletting, you are on the hook for all of the damage.

If the landlord wrote you a brand new lease and documented pre-existing damage, you should only be paying for the damage you do. I'd certainly charge you a prorated amount for the carpet damage your loose rabbit did. Did the landlord understand that the rabbit is not a caged pet?

I hope you took good move-in photos, otherwise, how are you going to prove that the apartment was already damaged when you moved in.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:34 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
Just wanted to add: neutering the rabbit will not curb the chewing. Any damage the rabbit causes, you will pay for.

I hope you took lots of video and photos before you took possession of the unit because at this point, you're going to have a heck of a time proving it wasn't you.

Why are you still living with holes in the walls, crap on the walls and dirty urine soaked carpet?

Old 08-15-2016, 05:37 PM

539 posts, read 567,221 times
About the refrigerator, I called the landlord because it's been making a funny noise, no damage involved. She looked at it and says it's okay, but I'm not too sure because the noise is getting worse.

It was a brand new lease, not a sub lease. The landlord knew about most of the things, she pointed some out, but the hole in the wall i don't think she knew about.

Yes, i take full responsibility for everything my family did, but I know the carpet is at least 5 years old because turns out we knew the previous PREVIOUS tenant and he said the cigarette stains were there too. Really small town. The reason we are still here is because believe it or not, this is one of the better apartments around here.

But, no pics or videos. In the rush of things we never thought to do so, we were just so glad we found a place. The landlord seems really nice so i don't think she'll charge us for EVERYTHING, but I DO want her to use the security deposit to fix things for the next tenant, but I'm worried that if she does decide to replace everything after us we'd have to provide MORE money. I might be worried over nothing though, she did an inspection with us maybe 5 months back and she was telling us about how one of her other apartments didn't even have a toilet seat and I was like, ohhh.... Eww.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:45 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,034,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MigratingCoconut View Post
Turns out he was a party person and where a picture was hanging was the hole of what looks like a butt in the drywall.
What does this mean?

Old 08-17-2016, 05:47 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MigratingCoconut View Post
I moved into an apartment about a year and a half ago, accepted apartment completely as is, previous tenants furniture and toothbrush still here type of as is. Absolutely no cleaning was done. Turns out he was a party person and where a picture was hanging was the hole of what looks like a butt in the drywall. There's a hole in the bathroom door. The carpet has multiple cigarette stains and when I lay down on it I can smell urine of some sort. There's even what looks like an explosion of some sort in our toddlers room like a bottlerocket or something else small like that on the ceiling. Other problems too but they're even more irrelevant.

First of all stop laying on urine soaked carpet

Also, the previous tenant wasn't a complete stranger, in case any questions arise. We NEEDED an apartment asap and he needed to move ASAP and the small landlord was overjoyed that the tenant basically advertised, no turnover on the landlords part.

Current dilemma. We have a rabbit now (landlord said it was cool) and everything was great and fantastic until he began puberty. Poor little guy is confined to a cage or held in our arms until he reaches the neutered age to get things snipped. Before we completely stopped taking him out, he ripped out some carpet.

With everything else wrong with the carpet (even the previous tenant tore out a decent chunk) because we were the last residents, if the landlord decides to replace the carpet after we leave, do we have to pay for the depreciated value of the carpet for the WHOLE apartment even the messes we didn't do or just the livingroom or what? Similar question, with accepting it as is, did we accept responsibility of other problems stated above? I don't mind kissing my security deposit goodbye for the carpet problems WE caused, but I don't want to have to pay absurdly extra for what we didn't do. That's probably why the previous tenant was like SEE YA! But we were desperate and didn't have another option at the time (no not eviction or anything of the like, personal/moving/new job dilemma)

If the place is that f'ed up I wouldn't think the LL would charge you anything but given the condition I guarantee the LL will use your deposit to fix up the joint.

Ps- If the refrigerator dies in an apartment, is it the tenant's responsibility or the landlord's?
Bold.

The fridge should be the LL responsibility if it's their fridge

Old 08-17-2016, 06:00 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,260,346 times
Put in maintenance requests to repair the pre-existing damage while you are still a tenant.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:02 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,260,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
What does this mean?
There's a butt-shaped hole in the drywall that was hidden behind a poster Shawshank Redemption style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting