Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 07:40 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times

Advertisements

I'm posting this for a friend, not me.

My friend lives in a place where the landlord enters to make repairs whenever he feels like it. He'll call her at work, and tell her that he needs to get in ASAP to check a problem or make repairs. She doesn't drive, and it takes her an hour to get home after having to leave early. When he gets in, and does whatever he has to do, her apartment isn't left in the same condition as when she went to work that morning. He has a tendency to leave his trash in whatever apartment he was in.

The guy is a real estate agent, and a slumlord. Most tenants are afraid of him, because he'll either increase the rent if they complain that they need repairs, or issue an eviction notice.

Calling Code Enforcement doesn't do any good. When CE gets a complaint from one of his properties, the landlord and CE inspector have lunch, and the inspector is paid to write a report stating there are no problems. He doesn't even come out.

I used to live in this complex, but didn't have those problems. I have all kinds of photos and documentation from when I lived there, and I have it saved in an email folder for her.

She also lives in San Diego, and just said that he told her that he's going to give her a 60 notice, so he can just "rehab" the unit. He does the work himself, but he won't be rehabbing it, he'll clean it and re-rent it.

Do any of you landlords and/or former landlord have any advice for her through me? She also lives in San Diego.
TIA for any advice.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:09 PM

539 posts, read 567,340 times
The landlord is a jerk, but if complaining through the proper channels doesn't work, the only suggestion is your friend needs to move out, find a different apartment.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:10 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
Best advice I can give is: move. Landlords are like lightbulbs. When you have a bad one, unscrew it and screw in a new one.

Wait. What? That doesn't sound quite right.

But SRSLY best plan is just move. Leases state landlord access notification requirements, usually 48 hour notice unless it's an emergency. (May depend on jurisdiction.)

The landlord you describe sounds like a really sick {I can't say this word}.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigratingCoconut View Post
The landlord is a jerk, but if complaining through the proper channels doesn't work, the only suggestion is your friend needs to move out, find a different apartment.
She's working on it, but it's not easy. She works full time and doesn't have a car. With that kind of schedule, she's limited. And when you're low income, it's even harder.

Easier said than done.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Best advice I can give is: move. Landlords are like lightbulbs. When you have a bad one, unscrew it and screw in a new one.

Wait. What? That doesn't sound quite right.

But SRSLY best plan is just move. Leases state landlord access notification requirements, usually 48 hour notice unless it's an emergency. (May depend on jurisdiction.)

The landlord you describe sounds like a really sick {I can't say this word}.
I used to live there, and never thought of him as being sick, but I think you're right. Moving is easier said than done.

When you're low income, don't have a car, and work full time, it's really hard to find another place to live.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:20 PM

My friend works full time, doesn't have a car, and is low income. She's limited to looking on her days off, which are weekends. Information what her options are to do about the situation would be appreciated, not about her moving, which she wants to do.

Last edited by moved; 09-16-2016 at 09:31 PM..

Old 09-16-2016, 09:21 PM

Look at the good things. Your friend doesn't have to pay auto insurance or maintain a car.

My rule for life: "Git while the gittin' is good!" Find somebody to drive your friend around looking for new apartments.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Look at the good things. Your friend doesn't have to pay auto insurance or maintain a car.

My rule for life: "Git while the gittin' is good!" Find somebody to drive your friend around looking for new apartments.
People drive her around when they can. Like I've said, it's not easy all the time.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:35 PM

I hear it gets a lot easier when your heart ceases beating. Unfortunately we living have to deal with our problems as they exist.

Nobody has no problems. Except the deceased.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:49 PM

If there's no constructive advice by morning, I'm going to have this thread deleted. I didn't post to get snarky remarks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting