Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 11:56 AM

245 posts, read 291,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Well what I would do would be to hand over a 72 hour notice to cure or quit. That means the dog is gone within 3 days or I file for eviction.
i think this might send the message that dogs are okay for 3 days or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 01:12 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMDM View Post
I would simply let your tenant know that pets are not allowed in the apartment at any time for any reason and it can't happen again. Let her know you will let it slide this one time but if you find out it happens again she will be in violation of the lease. This way you are putting your foot down, but also showing a human side.

This is assuming there haven't been any other issues with this tenant and you would like to keep them
I think this is a good compromise. You've pointed out that the dogs are a violation, but you aren't Scrooge McDuck over the holidays. If you wanted to make it extra clear that the dogs have to be gone quickly and that it is important to you, you could go one step further and say you would like to schedule a walkthrough for next week (after they are gone) to make sure there isn't damage.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:41 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br1n View Post
i think this might send the message that dogs are okay for 3 days or less.
Maybe so, but the law is that tenants must be given 72 hours to cure a breach of the lease. That's in most states if not all states.

If I discovered another 3 day dog, my tenants would be given notice to vacate. Actually, I've had 2 different tenants sneak in a pit bull and besides their notice to get rid of the dog or be evicted, they were handed their notice to vacate on the spot. I am assuming that after that, they didn't mistakenly think they could have dogs for 3 days at a time.

It's not like they didn't know it wasn't OK. It had been carefully and thoroughly discussed before they applied, after they applied, and when the rental agreement was signed. It was in the ad, on the application, and in the rental agreement. My sympathy that they lost their place to live is severely curtailed

Old 12-22-2016, 07:07 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,800,222 times
Sees candy? they still make that crap?

Old 12-22-2016, 08:03 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Her parents are here for Christmas from out of state
Why the bro? You stated

Quote:
She then tells me that her parents dogs are there and they are barkers but she will try to keep them quiet. THIS...and her lease specifically says no animals on the property, not yours, not your friends and not your familys.

You either want to enforce the lease or you don't. There is no in between. I dont care if her parents are here from out of state. Your lease states no pets? That to me means no pets. It doesn't mean no pets except when it's Christmas and it's your out of town parents staying over. If you are unwilling to enforce a lease I'm not sure what to say other than don't complain

Old 12-22-2016, 08:56 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,329,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Why the bro? You stated

You either want to enforce the lease or you don't. There is no in between. I dont care if her parents are here from out of state. Your lease states no pets? That to me means no pets. It doesn't mean no pets except when it's Christmas and it's your out of town parents staying over. If you are unwilling to enforce a lease I'm not sure what to say other than don't complain
Well, I could have rushed over there and demanded to do an inspection of the house, gave her a 3 day notice and thrown the candy on the doorstep, but I chose not too. Was it within My rights, sure. I told her that animals of any kind (texting) are not allowed on the property and left it at that. It just isn't worth it to get all riled up. She said the dogs were staying in her parents motorhome (doubt it), but the home has travertine flooring that is not easily damaged and she has a $2,500 security deposit.

Future leases will include verbage to the effect of "no pets, tenant agrees to forfeit their entire security deposit, plus pay for damages" .

Old 12-23-2016, 12:08 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Quote:
Well, I could have rushed over there and demanded to do an inspection of the house, gave her a 3 day notice and thrown the candy on the doorstep, but I chose not too. Was it within My rights, sure. I told her that animals of any kind (texting) are not allowed on the property and left it at that. It just isn't worth it to get all riled up. She said the dogs were staying in her parents motorhome (doubt it), but the home has travertine flooring that is not easily damaged and she has a $2,500 security deposit.

Future leases will include verbage to the effect of "no pets, tenant agrees to forfeit their entire security deposit, plus pay for damages" .
That is Not Legal! You cant just with hold the Deposit for any reason. For ITEMIZED Damages Yes!

Old 12-23-2016, 01:52 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:

Yeah, that won't fly in CA.

Sorry you are disappointed with your tenant. But, it's funny, my first thought was - was she saying that because she thought she needed to scare you off from unwanted advances?

I never saw any reason to give gifts to tenants. And I learned not to get too friendly with tenants, because as soon as they view you as a "friend," they then expect favors of some sort, even something minor - like letting their parents come with a couple of dogs...

It's a business arrangement. If they don't pay their cell phone bill, their phone stops working. They know that, and don't expect otherwise. They also need to know that even though their landlord gives great value for their dollar, like their cell phone company, that the landlord will sever their contract, too, if they don't hold up their end.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:39 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:

or you could enforce your own lease.........

Give her the 3 day notice and be done with it...that way there won't be any New Year puppies, Valentines Day cats, or birthday birds....if she gets away with it now, she will assume it will be ok later. Nip. It. In. The. Bud.

Texting??? when you were standing on her doorstep?? indeed.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:21 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
Quote:
So I text my tenant to see if she is home so that I can drop off a little holiday cheer (Sees Candy). She then tells me that her parents dogs are there and they are barkers but she will try to keep them quiet. THIS...and her lease specifically says no animals on the property, not yours, not your friends and not your familys.

She has been great up until this point but not feeling the love any more.
Sees Candy is THE best! My office had it ordered every year, and now we dont get it anymore and we miss it. Wish you were my landlord if your giving out Sees They are DA BEST!!!

By the way, if your lease says no pets, then she is breaking the lease. if she did this already, she is going to test you in other ways to see how much she can get away with. Nip it in the bud while you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting