Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 06:00 PM

260 posts, read 473,033 times

Advertisements

I've successfully negotiated having pets when the original ad said no pets, so it doesn't hurt to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 11:31 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,034 times
Like others have said, you'll have to ask. Generally the larger apartment complexes in my area that allow pets will charge for dogs and cats, but also allow (and will not charge for) things like fish and caged animals like hamsters and guinea pigs. Many don't allow rabbits or ferrets though because both of them can be very destructive, they also won't allow most reptiles. Private landlords are probably going to follow similar reasoning.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,327 times
Do I have to ask the landlord before getting a hamster or should I just assume that its okay? Because my mom told that the landlord would be checking our house out every few months and so I dont want him to be surprised we have a hamster, And then evict us.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:45 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,048,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzaTurtle View Post
Do I have to ask the landlord before getting a hamster or should I just assume that its okay? Because my mom told that the landlord would be checking our house out every few months and so I dont want him to be surprised we have a hamster, And then evict us.
I would ask.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:36 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,147 times
Default well... let me tell ya....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
How would a fish tank bust? Unless someone was dumb enough to knock it over. If that's the case, that's on them and not the landlord.
From personal experience...heat will burst a fish tank if a lamp...or in my case, a candle is left too close
to the glass...BAM...water and beta everywhere... gotta be careful...however, back on point, yesterday saw rental ad that said 'not even a goldfish'...so there ya go.
K

Old 09-30-2018, 12:35 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
What's the pet deposit run on one of those suckers?
Your deductible. All you need is a undercooked piece of meat that’s infected or prepping meat by a infected person who doesnt wash their hands properly. But hey the weight loss is great

The problem really isn’t the pet. The problem is when the tenant leaves who is gonna pay for the damage. See most people say they will take care of anything and will promise the moon and stars just to get Fido or Princess in the unit. When they leave and are presented with a $4500 bill for repairs they start screaming about how the LL is trying to screw them.
I rather avoid the whole thing and say no pets. If you want pets fine. It’s gonna cost two months rent as a deposit and I reserve the right to do inspections.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:38 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzaTurtle View Post

So, we have 4 pages here saying to ask first and several landlords saying they don't allow small caged pets. Think about it for a few minutes about the advisability of sneaking in an unauthorized pet.

Old 12-14-2020, 12:33 PM

12 posts, read 23,169 times
Default Pets

As I read these comments, I am thinking about an apartment owner who reacted quite differently to the no pet situation. He converted his large apartment complex into "pet owners only." He had a veterinarian come do on-site talks and vaccines and well-checks once each month. He converted an outside area into a dog and cat area. He modified the inside of apartments to accomodate pets. It was amazing.

The end result was that he had a ZERO percent vacancy rate, was able to charge more, and had tenants so happy that they all cooperated to make sure that the place ran well. They had tenant meetings, pet trainers ..you name it.

I was so impressed. He had a waiting line to rent those apartments.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:35 AM

8,886 posts, read 5,367,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiser-woman View Post
As I read these comments, I am thinking about an apartment owner who reacted quite differently to the no pet situation. He converted his large apartment complex into "pet owners only." He had a veterinarian come do on-site talks and vaccines and well-checks once each month. He converted an outside area into a dog and cat area. He modified the inside of apartments to accomodate pets. It was amazing.

The end result was that he had a ZERO percent vacancy rate, was able to charge more, and had tenants so happy that they all cooperated to make sure that the place ran well. They had tenant meetings, pet trainers ..you name it.

I was so impressed. He had a waiting line to rent those apartments.
Totally awesome idea! Particularly the outside area for cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting