Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 05:45 PM

14 posts, read 19,560 times

Advertisements

Will someone rent me a room if I can afford it but I'm disabled, not working, and my only income is from SSDI? I have a good credit score. Anyone run into this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 05:47 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Please apply for section 8 housing voucher program and I hope you find a room to rent in the meantime.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:54 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Try HUD Apts in your area they go by income. Ever those for the Elderly will rent to the young Disable folks.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:51 PM

584 posts, read 1,934,616 times
yes hud/sec 8 will help you have need andssdi or reg ss makes you a priority over some one who works.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:11 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glnc View Post
Will someone rent me a room if I can afford it but I'm disabled, not working, and my only income is from SSDI? I have a good credit score. Anyone run into this situation?
No problem. SSDI is regular income. If you have a copy of your grant letter, and you can afford the rent, and you can pass the rest of the screening, you can rent an apartment.

You'll have to look a little harder because some landlord won't accept income that is not collectible and SSDI can not be garnished. But many landlords just see that you have a check coming in every month and as long as your references and credit are good and you don't have a criminal record, it is not much of a risk that your income can not be garnished.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:14 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I don't know what your disability is and I don't want to know. But if it requires special accommodation, you will have to pay for that yourself and it will have to be built by a licensed contractor and you pay to remove it when you move out. Things like wheel chair ramps and bathtub railings and flashing light doorbells.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:19 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Correct. My brother has been on SSD since he was 25 (paranoid schizophrenia). He has rented his own apartment for over twenty years in two different complexes. (Just switched from SSD to SS as he had his 65th birthday). He has excellent credit.

PS - The complexes have been very accommodating, probably because they are afraid of being sued for discrimination under the ADA. That's a powerful weapon and that, which I admit I've used when he has been treated unfairly. (But I refused to help when he caused too much turmoil for other residents and the complex refused to renew his lease. The complex was legally and ethically right, and he moved.)

Old 01-24-2017, 12:07 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
If a tenant has enough income of course I will rent to them !

Old 01-24-2017, 03:21 PM

14 posts, read 19,560 times
Thank you so much for your replies. I am planning to apply for HUD/Section 8 but there is a 3-to-5-year waiting period in my city.

I'm worried that someone might not want to rent a room to me (roommate, etc) because I am not working and have limited income, though I can definitely afford to rent a room, my credit is excellent, etc. But there is a stigma about being on disability/not being employed.

I'm also concerned because I live with a relative (who is moving out of state) and I don't have a rental history for the last 6 years or so because I've been paying her directly.

I don't think I earn enough in SSDI to qualify for a regular one-bedroom apt. (Will a landlord rent to you if the rent would be over 50% of your monthly income?) And the lack of recent rental history would hurt me.

Thank you all for listening; I'm just stressing out.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:39 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glnc View Post
Thank you so much for your replies. I am planning to apply for HUD/Section 8 but there is a 3-to-5-year waiting period in my city.

I'm worried that someone might not want to rent a room to me (roommate, etc) because I am not working and have limited income, though I can definitely afford to rent a room, my credit is excellent, etc. But there is a stigma about being on disability/not being employed.

I'm also concerned because I live with a relative (who is moving out of state) and I don't have a rental history for the last 6 years or so because I've been paying her directly.

I don't think I earn enough in SSDI to qualify for a regular one-bedroom apt. (Will a landlord rent to you if the rent would be over 50% of your monthly income?) And the lack of recent rental history would hurt me.

Thank you all for listening; I'm just stressing out.
Rhetorical question: Have you considered moving to the same city as your relative? It's hard enough being on your own, for the first time. With a disability (of any kind), it's even tougher. Having a support system is important.

I am NOT saying that you should necessarily continuing living with the relative. But (hopefully, maybe) they are moving to a city that doesn't have a 3 to 5 year waiting period for HUD/Section 8 and/or has acceptable rentals at a lower cost.

(I say this from personal experience. My brother has done much worse since I left Phoenix, where he chose to remain. No support system at all anymore, not even someone to have a cup of coffee with him. And it's been hard on me, knowing that the best decision for me was to move, but it was a bad decision for him.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting