Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2017, 04:38 PM

497 posts, read 424,592 times

Advertisements

My SO and I are moving reluctantly (we lover our unit, location) to a new place and want to start fresh. I am here to seek guidance, advice on how to deal with situations that I am not clear on how to handle.

I think I am so old school where I thought it was okay to say hello, but they avoid you like you have a disease or they are too busy. If one saw you slip and fall, they look the other way. (yes, it happened to me and couldn't believe our next door neighbour looked away)

Where we are living now, we signed the lease with previous landlord and then they sold the property about 4 months later. Some neighbours (who go out for a smoke) would say to watch out with the new landlord, due to past experience from another location, and to be aware that they start going after you once the 1st year reached it's expiry. We didn't see any issues at first, but we heard of disputes between tenants and landlord, that the tenants got fed up and left and found out later that they felt pushed out by the landlord falsifying issues that they have the legal right to get them out.
A senior couple that we've seen on regular basis take their dog out for a walk and then, about a year ago, stopped lingering on the property outside to take their dog for a walk, and is more reclusive more then ever. You almost wonder if they died because you never see them.

We've heard staff using their walkie-talkie, communicating with landlord office and getting instructions on which unit # to target next. Later, I've figured out that they have a list do things to irritate a tenant so that they would move out or get them for disruptive behaviour that they get kicked out. Apparently what get a tenant on the list if you complete a requisition to get something fixed and they don't like that, so you are on a list and they drive you out. I've heard coworkers make similar complaints with their experiences.

We decided to move because the landlord had contractors doing work and the machine was pumping dieseal fuel into our unit and the windows were open due to the heater being on too high in our building. To complain goes on deaf ears and there is no concern to our health in our home.

Now, we got a new place, we are packing and planning the move.

Perhaps, we are socially inadequate, because we've seen where neighbours ignore each other, but if any of the show any interest, it is only to gossip with their group of neighbours who play both sides of the tenants and landlord.
We also seen where the landlord & staff will disclose personal/confidential issues of tenants with other tenants. It appears that all this behaviour is the norm. I feel like we are the odd couple who think it is okay to say hello to a neighbour.

Anyway, any advice how to fit in at our new place? Should we simply look the other way when we pass a neighbour in the hallway? Avoid the landlord by not asking to get things fixed when they break down?
We want to avoid of moving every time the lease is up so they can raise the base rent to a new tenant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 07:49 AM

9,884 posts, read 14,152,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post
We want to avoid of moving every time the lease is up so they can raise the base rent to a new tenant.
Don't know how it works in Toronto, but landlords in non-rent controlled areas would never want you to leave JUST to raise the base rent. If you are a good tenant, you would be offered the new market rate, first. It costs money to switch to a new tenant.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:37 AM

497 posts, read 424,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Don't know how it works in Toronto, but landlords in non-rent controlled areas would never want you to leave JUST to raise the base rent. If you are a good tenant, you would be offered the new market rate, first. It costs money to switch to a new tenant.

Hi!
I have to tell you that when people do move out here, all of those people who did, previously signed on with the 1st landlord, not the one who signed on with the 2nd landlord.

We've been renting for many years and this has to be the absolute worst experience we've had and never had issues with other landlords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting