Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 07:05 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Let's say you have some applicants who previously lived unremarkably in an overcrowded house until a neighbor filed an overcrowding complaint which led to their eviction.

Would / should landlords automatically reject them on the basis of the eviction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 08:35 PM

8,238 posts, read 3,492,716 times
I lived on campus once in an efficiency with my daughter. The upstairs neighbors were extremely noisy. I don't remember what all I did to scare them into moving out (didn't realize how many were up there until they were moving out, just knew there were a lot), but people were advising me what to do and I was doing the stuff that didn't seem too unethical. When they moved out it was a couple, the woman's brother and girlfriend, the couple's children, and the brother/gf's children all moving out. And they had five dogs too. When they moved out they just had some mattresses and not really any other furniture that I ever saw. All of this in an efficiency. I was so glad when they moved out. They weren't even students, so they weren't supposed to be there. They ended up having done something to the plumbing and the campus LL had to move me to another unit and the two units were shut down for months while they were being fixed. Do you mean that overcrowded?

LLs mostly have a zero tolerance for evictions.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:41 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
As a landlord I would IMMEDIATELY reject any tenant who has an eviction reported in their background check IRRESPECTIVE of the prospective tenant's explanation/excuse.

I see the word "eviction" in any tenant screening, the application goes in the trash and the applicant is informed that their application is rejected.

ZERO TOLERANCE FOR EVICTED TENANTS.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:55 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,838,168 times
There is a very big difference between being told to vacate and forcing a landlord to take you to court to get an eviction to get you out.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:08 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Were the applicants the lease signers or just occupants?

Old 04-20-2017, 09:42 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
Eviction is a court process so if they were evicted then it means they refused to leave and the LL had to get the law enforced through the court. I reject every eviction no matter the excuses.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:54 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
There is a very big difference between being told to vacate and forcing a landlord to take you to court to get an eviction to get you out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Eviction is a court process so if they were evicted then it means they refused to leave and the LL had to get the law enforced through the court. I reject every eviction no matter the excuses.
It makes no difference to me. If you ever had any problems with your landlord I'll have nothing to do with you. The price is too steep for me, even to take a chance on one tenant if I have any inkling they have had landlord problems in the past.

Sorry. This isn't a court of law. My house, my rules. You cross a landlord I'll have nothing to do with you. I don't even want to hear your back story.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:42 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
The reason we give them a chance to explain is many times these types of evictions are not targeted against the person whose name is on the record.

Example: how often do we advice others to name everyone in a rental on eviction papers? We do this to ensure we cover all legal basis as far as anyone occupying the property. So, lets say John and Jane rent a 3 bedroom unit. They let Kevin and Kathy move into on of the bedroom and they let Tom and Tony move into another. They also let Anita crash on the couch every 2nd weekend each month. As landlord, if you serve John and Jane, the others may never know of the eviction. Even if the others know, the natural reaction is to run away from the situation. Many never realize they were named and need to appear to have their names removed. So if the eviction as successful (or as in some states just the filing creates a record), the occupants could have really been victims themselves.

Heck we also know that an eviction filing could also have ended up with the landlord being found guilty of violations and the tenant actually winning. But, the filing is enough to create a record and if we don't look at dispositions, we could be penalizing the wrong person.

Now, if the eviction is on record with a disposition for the landlord, the person pretty much can forget about it going any further.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
As a landlord I would IMMEDIATELY reject any tenant who has an eviction reported in their background check IRRESPECTIVE of the prospective tenant's explanation/excuse.

I see the word "eviction" in any tenant screening, the application goes in the trash and the applicant is informed that their application is rejected.

ZERO TOLERANCE FOR EVICTED TENANTS.

How about if this was a case of three unrelated individuals overcrowding an 8BR house? The landlord had NO problem with the tenants; a neighbor reported the overcrowding and the municipality forced the issue.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post

The municipality forced the issue; the landlord did not want to lose the tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting