Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 03:21 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Good Grief - where do you people live that you think $2300 a month is not expensive for a 3 bedroom 2 bath?!

I can only answer in regards to my area; but yes, $2300 for 3/2 is the norm...more like middle of the road in range. You can find cheaper but you won't want to live there and of course you can find more expensive.

We rent our vacation places out for $2300 a week and have no issue keeping them full (not state-side)

Last edited by Kim in FL; 04-24-2017 at 03:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 03:37 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,035,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Ambition + no job skills + no car + no license = what? (Heck, a car and a license can at least get you an Uber income.)
No job skills, or not skilled at the job you want?

My kids have job skills. They can scrub a toilet, dust furniture, sweep and mop a floor. They can wash and fold clothes. They can pull weeds and trim bushes. They can wash a car.

You gotta have some sort of job skills--do that job and learn another that you think you may like better.

No driver's license. Well, unless you can not pass the vision test, you should be able to get one of those. They are not that expensive, and just take studying the book to pass the written test. And the driving you should have had in high school, if not you should have a friend who may let you borrow a car and practice? You have a friend? If not, get a bike or bus pass. Lots of people use public transportation, live on an area with good access.

Cars cost money, once you get the license, save up. Set a goal and work towards it.

Heck, a pair of shoes and a shovel will get you a job shoveling snow in the winter, and shoes and gloves can get you a job pulling weeds in the Summer. A bucket, soap and a few old towels will get you a job washing cars, and you do not even need shoes!

Last edited by lae60; 04-24-2017 at 03:45 PM..

Old 04-24-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
No job skills, or not skilled at the job you want?

My kids have job skills. They can scrub a toilet, dust furniture, sweep and mop a floor. They can wash and fold clothes. They can pull weeds and trim bushes. They can wash a car.

You gotta have some sort of job skills--do that job and learn another that you think you may like better.

No driver's license. Well, unless you can not pass the vision test, you should be able to get one of those. They are not that expensive, and just take studying the book to pass the written test. And the driving you should have had in high school, if not you should have a friend who may let you borrow a car and practice? You have a friend? If not, get a bike or bus pass. Lots of people use public transportation, live on an area with good access.

Cars cot money, once you get the license, save up. Set a goal and work towards it.

Heck, a pair of shoes and a shovel will get you a job shoveling snow in the winter, and shoes and gloves can get you a job pulling weeds in the Summer. A bucket, soap and a few old towels will get you a job washing cars, and you do not even need shoes!
That sounds like too much work and he's not down for that. He wants a handout.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:59 PM

600 posts, read 567,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
$375 a month for water and electricity???
If you pay that much you should get out of the rental business. You are definitely doing it wrong.
Yep. The common area electricity is like $90 a month. This cover the laundry room which both washer and dryer are all electric.

Then there is water, sewer and refuse. Water covers 4 units. So yeah. it gets up there.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:02 PM

600 posts, read 567,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
No, it's not. As a whole, Section 8 renters are much worse.
Which makes no sense. Simply because if they don't take care of the units, it won't pass inspection and they can lose their vouchers and security deposit.

Renters on the other hand, can just lose their security deposit. That's it. They can move and find another place to rent.

But I guess since they think everything is a charity, they expect the "slumlord" to do everything.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:16 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,592,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
No, it's not. As a whole, Section 8 renters are much worse.
Glad you know that...can you tell me tonights lottery number too since you are psychic ?

Old 04-24-2017, 05:18 PM

584 posts, read 1,936,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
Which makes no sense. Simply because if they don't take care of the units, it won't pass inspection and they can lose their vouchers and security deposit.

Renters on the other hand, can just lose their security deposit. That's it. They can move and find another place to rent.

But I guess since they think everything is a charity, they expect the "slumlord" to do everything.
most anti sec 8 folk places would not pass a inspection that is basic saftey and health on a unit,

Old 04-24-2017, 06:27 PM

749 posts, read 735,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Glad you know that...can you tell me tonights lottery number too since you are psychic ?
Oh you're a cute one aren't you.

Truth is truth, regardless of how much of smart mouth somebody is.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:30 PM

749 posts, read 735,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
most anti sec 8 folk places would not pass a inspection that is basic saftey and health on a unit,
No, that simply is not true.

I do not, have not, and never will rent out to Section 8 tenants because of all the horror stories I've heard. And not from some anonymous people, but from good friends of mine who have had absolutely horrible experiences with Section 8 renters.

I, on the other hand, do not own a house that I would not be more than happy to live in myself. Therefore, I have quality tenants renting quality houses.

If you want low-end tenants renting low-end housing, that's your choice.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
I wouldn't say most, but I do believe there are plenty of low rent places that wouldn't pass an inspection.

I also doubt that any of the average and above average rentals wouldn't pass....generally you get what you pay for. The higher the rent, the nicer the area, the nicer the unit and you have a manager/owner who really cares about their unit and it shows.

Not everyone wants to be a sec 8 landlord and it has nothing to do passing their inspection. It has everything to do with the low quality tenants it attracts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting