Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 03:08 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonMDA View Post
If he continues with serious physical abuse (e.g. pushing me down in chairs and on the couch), then yes, I DO want him to leave ASAP even though we are already slated to move and go our separate ways by May 31, as of today, May 11, 2017.

However, if he stops or only continues with verbal abuse I can tolerate, I will consider signing over the lease to him.

Either way the wind blows, I will be leaving the unit by May 31. I already picked a storage unit and have my items packed. That's not going to change.

I agree that I need counseling.
If he does that make your life real simple and call the police and get a restraining order. It should last you until you're out of the apartment. Put his stuff in storage, mail him the key certified mail, and tell him he has til x date, (I would pay til June 30th in storage.) With the restraining order, he can't come back, at least not while you're there.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:12 PM

36 posts, read 113,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
If he does that make your life real simple and call the police and get a restraining order. It should last you until you're out of the apartment. Put his stuff in storage, mail him the key certified mail, and tell him he has til x date, (I would pay til June 30th in storage.) With the restraining order, he can't come back, at least not while you're there.
Thanks.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Clean break. Dint muddy up the workings with some kid and your friend and a pastor etc. Go give notice walk away. If they want to lease the place leave that to them and the .LL. Otherwise I guarantee you'll get sucked back in

Old 05-13-2017, 02:31 PM

544 posts, read 1,238,255 times
Is unemployment not paying enough to cover the rent? Or you just need to leave this crazy where he is altogether

Old 05-23-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybaby80 View Post
Is unemployment not paying enough to cover the rent? Or you just need to leave this crazy where he is altogether
BOTH. Unemployment is only covering my phone, credit card and utility bills AND I need to get away from him.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:33 PM

Since posting here, I have moved 75% of my belongings to storage or to my parent's house and told my electricity service to cut off service on March 31. He hasn't started packing yet and I almost had to call the police again.

What would happen if the police have to remove him between now and May 31. Could I move his belongings so that the unit is vacant and I don't get charged?

I'd drop his stuff off at his parents's house. That's where half of it was located before we moved...

Oh, and he tried to take over the lease with the pastor's help and the leasing office threw the book at them. He has multiple evictions on his record. Nope!

Old 05-24-2017, 06:32 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
Provoke a domestic incident. Should be easy, from what you've related. Call police. Embellish it. If he hasn't marked you, do it yourself. Go to ER to document it. Get him arrested. Don't bail him out. Get his stuff out, and hand back unit. At same time, get a restraining order. Problem solved. LL should change lock cores between tenants. If he's in jail on may 31, nothing he can do about it. If you really want to be nice, move his stuff to storage unit and get the key to the pastor, but he's gonna lose it all anyway, so I would just get rid of it all. Never have a y contact with him ever again. Get therapy to help you avoid repeating this scenario.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:07 AM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
Provoke a domestic incident? Are you out of your mind? So many women are tragically killed or disfigured for life due to domestic violence.

Thankfully your parents are behind you. If this costs you money, it will be a bitter lesson but one that will stick in your head.

Once you gave notice I would think the landlord would be responsible for getting rid of him although I don't know, having never been in that type of situation. Thank God for 5 wonderful brothers. I was lucky in that regard.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:37 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Provoke a domestic incident? Are you out of your mind? So many women are tragically killed or disfigured for life due to domestic violence.
I agree!

Especially, the advice to put marks on yourself if he doesn't is terrible. Obviously, I do not condone this person's violent behavior, but that would be falsifying a police report and YOU (OP) could get in trouble.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:00 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
So far all he has done is push you down into a chair. You haven't pressed charges.

Yes, you can give notice and walk away. LL will have to evict BOTH of you, even though you're gone. You will lose your deposit, and you will have an eviction on your record. You will find it almost impossible to rent again, for years and years. No amount of explanation, that YOU had left, but the man hadn't, will suffice, because every future LL will think that you the same situation (inviting a deadbeat homeless person to establish residency in your rental unit) is likely to recur.

Of you can get him arrested, move out and hand back the keys while he is in jail, exit apt with a clean rental record, and get your deposit back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting