Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 04:18 PM

8 posts, read 8,940 times

Advertisements

I am in a man living in Orange County California. I have been renting month-to-month for seven years suddenly everything got horrible this is my story.
My boss seduced my love of 5 years, bought her a car etc. she left me. That really hurt I was distraught. That was just the beginning of my problems. Then my landlord said the house is too big for me alone and they need to get more money for it. They gave me 30 days notice which should have been 60 days. But in just two weeks he came and said he needed to work on the house NOW and was going to move me NOW to their other property wish was a tiny doll house. I said I needed more time he lost his temper and started throwing my things outside. I gave in as i had no other choice. I didn't want to call the police and make things worse. My things didn't fit in that tiny house so everything was put out in the lawn, furniture everything, then it rained for a week. Everything Furniture boxes Photos everything set out there got wet and then became sun-damaged. I basically lost everything that I worked hard for years to accumulate.

That on top of my failed relationship it was a huge blow psychologically and it took me months to come back to normal. Lost job, still not 100%. I've been seeing doctors for my mental state.

Now they are selling the property and I'm having to throw away everything still outside box by box, all of my valuables that are full of dirt dust falling apart from sun damage and it's bringing the nightmare back to the surface.

I have not done anything to fight back. People keep telling me to sue them not just for the lost Property but for the anguish and psychological trauma, lost wages, work, all that. I don't know how to do that and a lawyer costs money, I don't have money for a lawyer. Can I do it myself? The property is in escrow I have decided to stop paying them rent and I have no place else to go. They will probably try to evict me now and served me notice etc. What can I do legally to recover my losses and make sure I am protected, keep a roof over my head don't end up homeless on the street?? Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 05:50 PM

102,256 posts, read 108,238,692 times
Where do you live? There's usually a tenants' advocacy org in major cities. They may or may not have access to volunteer lawyers.

The house being "too big" for you makes no sense. You continued to pay the rent, right? You didn't suddenly start paying 1/2 the rent just because one resident left. (SO sorry that happened, btw! Your boss is scum, & your ex-gf sounds mercenary.) But it was a month-to-month arrangement, so I guess the LL can give notice anytime, for any reason....?

Do a search for a tenants' rights org in your area.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:26 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,588,189 times
lol

Old 05-03-2017, 10:48 PM

Anaheim Ca. No I was paying the same amount of 1400 a month. They wanted to raise it to 1900. by getting me out they could do that.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:59 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,013,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
lol
Indeed.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:15 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,294,706 times

Old 05-04-2017, 12:27 AM

Yeah i admit its so f'ed up its borderline bizarre

Old 05-04-2017, 10:39 AM

8,395 posts, read 7,679,240 times
You need more help than strangers on the internet can provide.

Ruth4Truth hit the nail on the head when she suggested you talk to your local tenants rights organization.

Here is the link to the Orange County Fair Housing organization, which may be able to advise you, or at least point you to a professional who can:

Landlord/Tenant | Fair Housing - Orange County

Old 05-04-2017, 10:54 AM

6,089 posts, read 5,006,680 times
Man, that was dumb. As soon as he started touching your property and flinging it outside, you should have called the Sheriff. That guy would have been put in cuffs and you would have lots of cause to get monetary compensation.

I realize you're in a fragile mental state, but can you think of any CA law that would allow a landlord to enter your home and just start tossing stuff into the rain? Common sense man.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Man, that was dumb. As soon as he started touching your property and flinging it outside, you should have called the Sheriff. That guy would have been put in cuffs and you would have lots of cause to get monetary compensation.

I realize you're in a fragile mental state, but can you think of any CA law that would allow a landlord to enter your home and just start tossing stuff into the rain? Common sense man.
I know that now. But that would result in being asked to move and i couldn't. It's very costly to move in California. My hands were tied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
View detailed profiles of: