Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 06:37 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,752,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Surfer View Post
I hate leases. If you land a great job out of town but you're in the middle of a lease you're screwed. Where I'm at now, it's month to month but the landlord jacked up my rent supposedly to make up for the eventual AC and repair jobs they plan on in the future. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have student and medical debt.

Just a few years ago most places didn't require one, now even the private owners want a solid year. Was just lucky enough to find one that did 6 months, hope to find something by the end of this year.

You can't just leave in the middle of a signed lease and say I have a new job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 10:35 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Surfer View Post
I hate leases. If you land a great job out of town but you're in the middle of a lease you're screwed. Where I'm at now, it's month to month but the landlord jacked up my rent supposedly to make up for the eventual AC and repair jobs they plan on in the future. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have student and medical debt.

Just a few years ago most places didn't require one, now even the private owners want a solid year. Was just lucky enough to find one that did 6 months, hope to find something by the end of this year.
As I have to mitigate I much prefer month to month. This way I'm 30 or 60 days away from getting rid of a bad tenant. If I did short term leases I would charge mire per month.
I had all my tenants on a year lease. Once the lease term expired everyone went month to month. I still raise the rent every 3 years or so. I have costs that do go up eventually. If you can't pay you can't okay do we part ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Sure you can. You just have to pay the penalties of breaking the lease. That's the problem. When most want to break the leases they signed but want no consequences for doing so. All of the sudden the L.L is doing everything wrong. Any excuse not to pay or get charged.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:15 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,559 times
Quote:
I know that, I'm saying that if I get a job offer for a great paying job to move to another city I'm just screwed because of the lease. It sounds easier on paper to just get a house with some roommates, but I've had horrible experiences with roommates that don't clean after each themselves or expect me to shoulder the load.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:17 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,596,358 times
It makes no sense to replace carpet when someone has a dog. Does the student downstairs have a dog?

Din you talk to the student about her noise?

Old 08-28-2017, 12:50 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
In our experience, that has been the most common event behind tenants wanting to break a lease. They get orders transferring them to a different duty station.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:36 PM

902 posts, read 863,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
No I don't have cable. Yes I have a cellphone plan that cost me more than $30. No I don't eat out, nor have a car. I'm living paycheck to paycheck some paychecks...not every paycheck. But I remember when it was EVERY paycheck to paycheck. 8 long years and 4 of those with a 15% pay cut and a part-time job. During that time I moved twice. The first apartment I could afford if I do anything but go to work. The 2nd one I got was $280 less and a small studio. I had no furniture, just me and my two cats. I made it work for 6 years.

Most folks do live for today and some live trying to get to the future.

I've heard stories of people turning down promotions so they can qualify for housing lotteries here in NYC. I'm sorry I don't think that should ever be a thought in someone's mind...affordable housing or promotion?
JC,

Take a look at some lower cost cellphone plans. The cheapest all inclusive I've found are with Cricket and MetroPCS. They are $35/mo and $30/mo respectively. There's a new one I haven't tried called Mint. They are advertising $15/mo.

It's great that you aren't living paycheck to paycheck every time. That means that you likely have some savings. Once your current cellphone plan terminates, I can tepidly recommend with Cricket or MetroPCS. Their internet is slower. Their coverage is somewhat less but if you don't live in BFE, you probably won't notice. I travel a lot and so far have only had trouble in Bozeman, MT of all places. Everywhere else, I've always been able to make/receive calls/texts.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
In our experience, that has been the most common event behind tenants wanting to break a lease. They get orders transferring them to a different duty station.
That's different.. Military people getting PCS (permanent change of station) must be let out of a lease.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:15 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
That's different.. Military people getting PCS (permanent change of station) must be let out of a lease.
As a servicemember anytime you negotiate for a new job assignment, then you get PCS orders transferring you to a different duty station.

I did it many times during my career.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:29 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
That's different.. Military people getting PCS must be let out of a lease.
It's not that different (aside from the laws protecting them).

The same sort of reasonable accommodation made to service members
(or something very close to it) should be available to civilians as well.

People move. It happens. For all sorts of reasons.
Structuring a lease like it's some sort of indenture doesn't help anyone.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It's not that different (aside from the laws protecting them).

The same sort of reasonable accommodation made to service members
(or something very close to it) should be available to civilians as well.

People move. It happens. For all sorts of reasons.
Structuring a lease like it's some sort of indenture doesn't help anyone.

Well then don't sign a lease with those type of conditions. If a person wants a month to month lease that's fine with me or they can bring it up to the LL or manager to see if they can negotiate such term. For me to do a MTM lease is 30% higher than a yearly lease monthly rate. Why? Because first and foremost you're paying for the convenience of being able to walk away with a 30 day notice. If that's that important to you and nobody is willing to give you that option and someone does then you have a choice.
Second is I am taking a risk of longer downtime if you leave in the "off" market time. So yeah I'm going to charge more for that risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting