Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 10:15 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
If you are struggling in one area why would you want to go to another struggling too? For a change of scenery? That is wonderful that you pulled yourself up by your bootstraps but I prefer not to struggle, broke and on an air mattress with no family or friends around if I don't have to. I'm 40 and I have been through some rough housing times in my life. If and when I leave NY it will be on my terms with a savings and a job. At least a starting point.

Minimum wage jobs are an entry point, a mid point and a end point...Did the recession not teach people anything?
The struggle is a lot easier when the COL is lower.

When I retired, we were living in a city where average rental costs for a 2bdrm home was near $2,000/month. We knew that on my pension life was going to be rough, the struggle was going to be real, on my small pension.

So we moved to an area where 2bdrm homes can be found for $450/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 10:24 AM

444 posts, read 387,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The struggle is a lot easier when the COL is lower.
Yeah, maybe but if struggle is what you have known most of your life you wouldn't want it in a new place if you can help it. If you had a choice. Just my opinion.

Where are houses $450 a month?

Old 06-20-2017, 10:53 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
That's why it makes sense to deal with a realty company rather than a private landlord so when maintenance issues comes up they resolve in 24-48 hours.
Not always. My landlord lives downstairs from me (and he is retired), so things tend to get dealt with and resolved as soon as they are brought to his attention.

Dealing with a realty company would be like dealing with a leasing office in a complex - first-come, first served basis. You wait in line, and if some other tenant has an issue that is more pressing than yours, they are a higher priority.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:54 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,734,603 times
Quote:
If you are struggling in one area why would you want to go to another struggling too? For a change of scenery? That is wonderful that you pulled yourself up by your bootstraps but I prefer not to struggle, broke and on an air mattress with no family or friends around if I don't have to. I'm 40 and I have been through some rough housing times in my life. If and when I leave NY it will be on my terms with a savings and a job. At least a starting point.

Minimum wage jobs are an entry point, a mid point and a end point...Did the recession not teach people anything?
I had graduated from college and for two years was unable to get a job in my field. At the time, one elementary teaching position would receive 1,000-4,000 applicants in my area, depending on the quality of the school district. You couldn't even get sub jobs because all of the subs were also certified teachers. I had friends that scattered all across the country for jobs.

When I moved, salaries were not frozen. We were informed at the end of my first year. And it was supposed to be for just one year. Six years later, and they were still frozen. I was stuck in a cycle of working two jobs, 80+ hours per week. Credit cards were maxed. I had nothing to show for it. I cut my losses, moved back home and struggled for another year because competition for jobs was still really tough.

Minimum wage jobs are an entry point. If you have to go back the the beginning, it happens. But you still progress and move forward. I've had three retail jobs. First one I hired in at 16. They had to wait until I was 18 to promote me to Assistant Customer Service Manager. I was promoted on my 18th birthday. My next job was while I was teaching. I hired in as temporary seasonal help. I was kept. By May, I was a front end supervisor. By October, I was the Customer Service Manger. I closed the store 4 nights per week and opened it on Sundays, all while teaching. This is less than a year after being hired as seasonal. Eventually the stress got to me, and I quit after I was hired at another retail store. I was not promoted here because I was hired above a few dozen employees. I skipped up to accountant/front end supervisor.

I hope I never have to rely on retail again, but you never know. If I do, I will do what I've always done. Work hard and do a good job. I will do what I have to instead of insisting some things are beneath me.

There are always options.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:59 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
How can someone move and find a new place in 30 days?
I was approved for a new apartment within 4 days of finding it on the Internet and sending an inquiry (Saturday, July 23 of last year) - I actually viewed it on July 25, submitted my application by email on July 26 and received the official approval/acceptance (July 27). I handed over the initial checks and received the keys on Friday the 29th.

So, yeah, it can happen "that" quickly.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Yeah, maybe but if struggle is what you have known most of your life you wouldn't want it in a new place if you can help it. If you had a choice. Just my opinion.

Where are houses $450 a month?
My sons' In-laws rent a 2bdrm house for $450/month in Lincoln Maine.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:31 AM

902 posts, read 863,704 times
Quote:
There is that pesky thing called "job". I would gladly leave New York for someplace cheaper but not only am I making what is excellent money for my job and background, my BF has job with a union that if he left he would lose his pension. He put in 12 years of work into that job and deserves it.
But more than half of what we make goes to rent.

No the misconception is that if you don't have a career and only a job -which most of America considers what they do each day -you don't deserve a decent place to live. People always say move...who is going to pay for the moving cost, the new security deposit and first and last months rent in the new lower cost area? It will probably be out of state so you will miss work to go look at jobs and apartments. Need money for hotel stays for interviews and apartment visits. If you don't get paid time off what happens while you continue to pay rent in the apartment you can't afford but are trying to leave? Trust me it isn't easy. Family isn't here to help. Employers don't always pay relocation fees.

Tell me how a family or couple living paycheck to paycheck can save while still paying monthly bills to relocate?
Do you have cable TV and/or a cellphone plan that costs more than $30/mo? Do you eat out? Do you have a car payment? If so, you are living paycheck to paycheck by choice.

Most folks living paycheck to paycheck do so because they choose to have luxuries they don't need. You should see the cars my renters drive compared to my 10 year old Kia with no AC. I choose to invest my money for the future. They choose to live for today.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:34 PM

86 posts, read 84,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
Do you have cable TV and/or a cellphone plan that costs more than $30/mo? Do you eat out? Do you have a car payment? If so, you are living paycheck to paycheck by choice.

Most folks living paycheck to paycheck do so because they choose to have luxuries they don't need. You should see the cars my renters drive compared to my 10 year old Kia with no AC. I choose to invest my money for the future. They choose to live for today.
Another assumption, sorry to single you out.

Most people who live pay check to pay check choose to? Have you ever thought the jobs of today many people work are SET UP to keep you from working a second job to "get even" or "ahead?"

Retail jobs, well, you are at the mercy of the schedule. If they tell you M-F it's 8 am start then next week it's 10 am, you have little flexibility. You "can't just get another job" to make up the difference in your wages.

So, okay, no one has ever had a reversal of fortunes? Anyone fired or laid off here? Must be them. Bad work ethic? I mean, come on.

How is cable (just internet) a luxury in 2017? People have to keep up with technology and libraries aren't open 24/7. I suppose only the "better class" of person deserves his or her child to be educated? Also if there was more competition, or if it was like in other countries, internet would not be so darn expensive.

Who decides what is a luxury and what is necessity? In our family rent comes first, everything else second. I don't recall the last time I had more than a gas station cup of coffee out.

I can't expect other people to be disciplined like we are and yes, some people do want I-phones, big tvs, meals out, and cigarettes and alcohol.

Maybe life is too short for them. Maybe they were raised that way. Maybe they don't want someone telling them that they have to walk around like some beaten down loser because the system is rigged against the regular person, especially since the Recession. Ageism, racism, sexism, these have reared their ugly heads again now many of the jobs are no longer available.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:36 PM

86 posts, read 84,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My sons' In-laws rent a 2bdrm house for $450/month in Lincoln Maine.
They don't work or they work from home, right?
Maine...lol.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:50 PM

[quote=NorthernSkysGuy;48568840]They don't work or they work from home, right?[/qute]

He is on SSDI, and she works.

Quote:
... Maine...lol.
Vacation paradise

Though we migrated here after I retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting