Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 01:13 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,735,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSkysGuy View Post

5. They will re-do our apartment when we leave and accommodate a new and unknown tenant who they can bilk for more money. Our rent keeps going up but they will give us nothing extra for it. So we are leaving.
Not a landlord (or a tenant anymore) and I never liked rent increases, but things like property taxes, utilities (in common areas), lawn service, etc... go up every year. They aren't going to eat that. It gets passed of to the tenants.

The key with rent increases is they need to be appropriate. In my last apartment, I lived there 2 and a half years. My rent was 12% more when I left that when I rented. (And my first year was not a "special" rate- it was market rate. The move in special at the time was a reduced security deposit.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 02:33 PM

902 posts, read 863,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Starwind View Post
I agree and it's funny how none of the landlords on this forum have yet to comment on the post...
Maybe it's because we are working at our job. You know, one where we can't sit on the internet all day while at work.

I see nothing that makes the OP a stellar tenant. They paid their rent on time. That's the bare minimum. They also seemed to be complaining about conditions that were satisfactory to them when they signed the lease but now that they consider themself a long term, steady, realiable tenant, they feel entitled to new carpet, fridge, etc.

Would I like to have a tenant like that? Sure, it beats having one who trashes the place. Due to my screening, I will likely have little trouble finding a similar tenant that can pay rent on time without trashing the apartment. As hard as it is to believe after reading this forum, most tenants are pretty good.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:26 PM

472 posts, read 474,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
Maybe it's because we are working at our job. You know, one where we can't sit on the internet all day while at work.

I see nothing that makes the OP a stellar tenant. They paid their rent on time. That's the bare minimum. They also seemed to be complaining about conditions that were satisfactory to them when they signed the lease but now that they consider themself a long term, steady, realiable tenant, they feel entitled to new carpet, fridge, etc.

Would I like to have a tenant like that? Sure, it beats having one who trashes the place. Due to my screening, I will likely have little trouble finding a similar tenant that can pay rent on time without trashing the apartment. As hard as it is to believe after reading this forum, most tenants are pretty good.

Great feedback. Seriously though, just another typical landlord on this site full of b.s.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Great feedback. Seriously though, just another typical landlord on this site full of b.s.
Gene,

Could you please elaborate on the specific issues with my post that you felt were unfair/unrealistic/etc.?

When I pay my mortgage on time every month for years, my lender doesn't give me a pat on the back.

I apologize for greeting your snarky post with more snark so let's start over from square one.

What things posted by the OP seem legitimate from your perspective? My tenants tell me I'm the most responsive landlord they've ever had. I feel it's better to spend a dime on preventative and corrective maintenance than risk a tenant being afraid to tell me about a small issue that could cost me dollars later.

That being said, replacing a dead fridge with a used fridge isn't unusual. She/he signed a lease with the carpet being not so great. If it was great, that means they destroyed it in a few years. Not good.

From my perspective, the OP is not a special tenant. They are average at best. I could likely replace them quickly. What I am interested in hearing is your sincere perspective. Again, my apologies as I'm coming off an all night shift and wasn't able to sleep today so I'm a bit cranky.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:58 PM

472 posts, read 474,141 times
Quote:
Gene,

Could you please elaborate on the specific issues with my post that you felt were unfair/unrealistic/etc.?

When I pay my mortgage on time every month for years, my lender doesn't give me a pat on the back.

I apologize for greeting your snarky post with more snark so let's start over from square one.

What things posted by the OP seem legitimate from your perspective? My tenants tell me I'm the most responsive landlord they've ever had. I feel it's better to spend a dime on preventative and corrective maintenance than risk a tenant being afraid to tell me about a small issue that could cost me dollars later.

That being said, replacing a dead fridge with a used fridge isn't unusual. She/he signed a lease with the carpet being not so great. If it was great, that means they destroyed it in a few years. Not good.

From my perspective, the OP is not a special tenant. They are average at best. I could likely replace them quickly. What I am interested in hearing is your sincere perspective. Again, my apologies as I'm coming off an all night shift and wasn't able to sleep today so I'm a bit cranky.
Thanks for the apology. First it was the fact you implied that we don't work and post comments on the internet all day that really made me reply in the nasty manner I did. So I too am sorry to reply in kind as some members here can really be off the wall.

Let's be realistic a person who pays on time put them in at least the top 50 percentile. Some of the items the OP talked about could be petty and prob because they feel hurt about the situtation.

If I was a landlord i would try to keep the OP by going month to month as nothing seemed too off the wall. Again don't know about the market but I tend to give this OP the benefit of the doubt

Also my experience of the landlord here is negative. They come off lazy and entitled and some really seem like slumlords

Old 06-15-2017, 07:21 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,807,956 times
Quote:
Appliances age and deteriorate with time. If they were already somewhat older when the OP moved in they probably need to be replaced anyway. I didn't read the post as the OP feeling "entitled" to anything either, but when you've been somewhere a while and you see new tenants getting brand new things it doesn't seem right.

Quote:
Also my experience of the landlord here is negative. They come off lazy and entitled and some really seem like slumlords
I agree. Everything is always the tenant's fault and they make it seem like everyone renting should be grateful for the crumbs the landlords throw out. I have no clue if any of them actually ARE slumlords (and I don't really care since I'm not renting from them), but they do put themselves on a pedestal.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:14 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Not a landlord (or a tenant anymore) and I never liked rent increases, but things like property taxes, utilities (in common areas), lawn service, etc... go up every year. They aren't going to eat that. It gets passed of to the tenants. Just like every other business you deal with on a daily basis. Gas goes up, food goes up, services go up...why shouldn't rent? Being a landlord is a business..not a charity so yes, the cost of business always trickles down to the customer.

The key with rent increases is they need to be appropriate. In my last apartment, I lived there 2 and a half years. My rent was 12% more when I left that when I rented. (And my first year was not a "special" rate- it was market rate. The move in special at the time was a reduced security deposit.)
What do you deem appropriate? If the increases is out your budget you're free to move. Most people can juggle an extra $100 or so once they still down and see how much moving is going to cost.

Not sure when paying your rent on time makes you great tenant...but, ok. Last time I checked paying your rent on time was an expectation...not a "above and beyond" type of thing. You can pay rent on time and still be a deadbeat tenant.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:38 AM

86 posts, read 84,254 times
Campfires, I have to give you credit for answering.

What actually makes a stellar tenant or landlord? I would love to hear both sides of this debate.

I don't understand the landlord's mindset. I mean, why do you guys think "we are entitled" if you supply us with old appliances, they break or don't work right, and we should just keep paying increases? Under the law, you DO NOT HAVE TO PAY YOUR RENT if the landlord fails to provide working appliances.

No one is asking for a 3,000 dollar top of the line item but something built in this century might be nice.

But with the attitude (ask and ye shall receive the crappiest thing we can dig out of the junk yard), you get tired of trying to get anything done in your apartment.

Also, a lot of landlords employ under qualified handymen and staff with an attitude to take the brunt of your inquires so you just eventually give up.

Meanwhile you will go and fix up apartments and let new people move in, sometimes with discounts, and thumb your noses at the rest of us paying up for years, showing our good faith.

I have had several incidences where the landlord has no common sense with screenings. In one building these new people were OBVIOUSLY druggies and the landlord who lectured us when we moved in six months earlier (a family) that he was very particular about who he rented to. Yes, okay.

The druggies had the police there 3 or 4 times in the six months we lived there before we left. We never had police at any of our rentals.

So, okay, how more can I be "stellar"? Shut up? Pay you and deal with my crappy stove from 1986 that burns dinner. Let the mold grow in my apartment and jack up the heat I pay for because the windows haven't been replaced.

Pay out of my pocket to fix your properties?

What makes a stellar tenant? Isn't this just a contract between 2 parties? I pay and you provide a safe (as per the rental laws) place to live? Do I have to brown nose you and your snarky staff after I've treated like an annoyance every month, even the month I handed in a check for renewal of my lease?

??? Kim....please elaborate on deadbeat tenant?
I don't get it...leaving stuff outside? Harassing other people? Blasting music?

A deadbeat by definition is someone who doesn't pay his or her bills.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:48 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSkysGuy View Post
Campfires, I have to give you credit for answering.

What actually makes a stellar tenant or landlord? I would love to hear both sides of this debate.

I don't understand the landlord's mindset. I mean, why do you guys think "we are entitled" if you supply us with old appliances, they break or don't work right, and we should just keep paying increases? Under the law, you DO NOT HAVE TO PAY YOUR RENT if the landlord fails to provide working appliances.

No one is asking for a 3,000 dollar top of the line item but something built in this century might be nice.

But with the attitude (ask and ye shall receive the crappiest thing we can dig out of the junk yard), you get tired of trying to get anything done in your apartment.

Also, a lot of landlords employ under qualified handymen and staff with an attitude to take the brunt of your inquires so you just eventually give up.

Meanwhile you will go and fix up apartments and let new people move in, sometimes with discounts, and thumb your noses at the rest of us paying up for years, showing our good faith.

I have had several incidences where the landlord has no common sense with screenings. In one building these new people were OBVIOUSLY druggies and the landlord who lectured us when we moved in six months earlier (a family) that he was very particular about who he rented to. Yes, okay.

The druggies had the police there 3 or 4 times in the six months we lived there before we left. We never had police at any of our rentals.

So, okay, how more can I be "stellar"? Shut up? Pay you and deal with my crappy stove from 1986 that burns dinner. Let the mold grow in my apartment and jack up the heat I pay for because the windows haven't been replaced.

Pay out of my pocket to fix your properties?

What makes a stellar tenant? Isn't this just a contract between 2 parties? I pay and you provide a safe (as per the rental laws) place to live? Do I have to brown nose you and your snarky staff after I've treated like an annoyance every month, even the month I handed in a check for renewal of my lease?

??? Kim....please elaborate on deadbeat tenant?
I don't get it...leaving stuff outside? Harassing other people? Blasting music?

A deadbeat by definition is someone who doesn't pay his or her bills.
Well..you can pay your rent on time and still trash the unit, sneak in pets, sneak in people, convert your spare room to a grow room, sell drugs out the back door, have wild parties every night, blast music to annoy your neighbors, etc...A stellar tenant abides by the lease and community rules...paying rent is just ONE of those things you're expected to do.

Sounds like you chose to live in the hood/ghetto....and that's what living in the hood/ghetto will get you. Go to a nicer area, with nicer units and better run complexes and you won't have these issues. Or, find a private landlord in a nice area, with a nice unit.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the apology. First it was the fact you implied that we don't work and post comments on the internet all day that really made me reply in the nasty manner I did. So I too am sorry to reply in kind as some members here can really be off the wall.

Let's be realistic a person who pays on time put them in at least the top 50 percentile. Some of the items the OP talked about could be petty and prob because they feel hurt about the situtation.

If I was a landlord i would try to keep the OP by going month to month as nothing seemed too off the wall. Again don't know about the market but I tend to give this OP the benefit of the doubt

Here is where the disagreement is: I don't do month to month rentals. All of my leases terminate May 31st or June 30th. That gives me the best chance to get a new tenant as kids are out of school which makes it far easier for parents to move. The rental market craters after school begins again which leaves me with a much smaller pool of applicants and typically lower quality applicants. I like having a year contract as that provides me some vacancy protection.

That being said, any tenant can break a lease at any time and leave a landlord in a hurt locker. Sure I could get a civil judgement against a tenant for breaking the lease but it can be difficult to collect on that (hard to squeeze blood from a turnip). But having that year lease incentivizes the tenant to stay whereas a month to month tenancy encourages the tenant to keep looking.

The vast majority of tenants pay their rent on time to me so that doesn't put anybody in the top 50 percentile. If they don't pay on time, they either don't get a new lease or, if they are later than contractually allowed, they can be evicted.

I understand people come upon hard times. But never have I ever had a tenant help me out when I'm in a financial bind so I'm unsure as to why it is expected of me to help them out. I frequently see tenants making poor financial choices but as long as they take care of the property and pay their obligation to me on time, it is what it is.

Last edited by Campfires; 06-16-2017 at 06:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting