Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 06:09 AM

902 posts, read 863,854 times

Advertisements

Northern,

There is nothing inherently wrong with used appliances. I have used appliances in my home too.

If I was renting (and I have for many years in the past), I would speak with my wallet and move if I wasn't getting value for my money.

I'll never understand the mentality many of the posters speak of regarding slumlords. I save money by hiring handyman that know what they are doing. I save money by buying quality used appliances that are newer or that come with warranties. Ignoring problems inevitably ends up costing more money. It's somewhat human nature to step over a dollar to pick up a dime I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 06:34 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
There's one thing that stands out.
The apt , you say, is old and in bad repair.
It's extremely doubtful that it got that way in the 3 years you've lived there so we have to assume it wasn't great when you agreed it was good enough to move into....or you did one hell of a job in only 3 years.
That should have told you something!
I do understand not doing things to retain a good tenant but doing a big rehab for a new one (if that really is the case, not just a sprucing up)t if the whole house is as you say, it probably isn't much more than a sprucing up and probably the increase in rent for a couple of months would pay for it.
The big thing here, is you'll seldom find tenants with good LLs coming on here so the "slum LL"
aspect is skewed...they do exist, no doubt about it .
As far as not hearing from LLs on your thread.....even if some of us come on a thread like this a declare we at good LLs....are you going to believe it?

Old 06-16-2017, 06:35 AM

86 posts, read 84,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Well..you can pay your rent on time and still trash the unit, sneak in pets, sneak in people, convert your spare room to a grow room, sell drugs out the back door, have wild parties every night, blast music to annoy your neighbors, etc...A stellar tenant abides by the lease and community rules...paying rent is just ONE of those things you're expected to do.

Sounds like you chose to live in the hood/ghetto....and that's what living in the hood/ghetto will get you. Go to a nicer area, with nicer units and better run complexes and you won't have these issues. Or, find a private landlord in a nice area, with a nice unit.
I don't live in a ghetto or inner city.

I do have one dog and it's difficult to get a place to rent to you with a dog in such a tight rental market. People come here in droves to rent due to the local college--prices in that town are extremely jacked up so students seek out ones in ours.

The LLs know this and raise the rents to capitalize on it. (their right as owners).

There is a rental crisis in the USA and I wish people would open their eyes to this fact!

OldCold, again, our choices were limited. There are only 2 pet friendly complexes in our town. The little landlords don't want to deal with dogs so you basically have to go to a complex or live way out of town which is hard for working as we get severe weather half the year.

The price difference between here (lets' say it's about $1,000 for a 2 bedroom) and the other, "nicer" complex down the road is 800.00 more. Plus dog fees for both.

800.00 more....that's a big amount.
To live in a place 2 hours from the nearest real city.

I'm not blaming a Landlord for prices. Heck, I see WHY they do what they do to get as much $$$ as they can and it's a hassle because there are a lot of terrible tenants who set out to bilk them.

I just wonder if maybe it would be good to be "loyal" to your decent tenants. Even say okay, we'll do a six months lease would be a start after a year or two of renting.

My main reason for being annoyed is my landlord is 100% inflexible. He won't let us go month to month and I either give up another year of my life in my town (we're trying to relocate) or just go out in find somewhere else (what we have to do now).

Last edited by NorthernSkysGuy; 06-16-2017 at 06:46 AM..

Old 06-16-2017, 06:42 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,735,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
What do you deem appropriate? If the increases is out your budget you're free to move. Most people can juggle an extra $100 or so once they still down and see how much moving is going to cost.

Not sure when paying your rent on time makes you great tenant...but, ok. Last time I checked paying your rent on time was an expectation...not a "above and beyond" type of thing. You can pay rent on time and still be a deadbeat tenant.
Really? I was actually defending landlords.

To me, in a 2.5 year stay, a 12% increase is too much. I lived in a large complex. I did move because of the ridiculous rent increases. The roof in my building leaked every time it rained. Luckily it was in the bathroom and easy to clean up. I called every time and they'd say they patched it. It still leaked, and there was a hole in the drywall in the ceiling from the constant leaking. I'm sure there was mold up there, too. My dishwasher would fill with water and food from the kitchen sink and it was gross. They 'fixed' it about once a month. It never worked properly in 2.5 years. Dishes didn't come out clean. The air conditioner had to be 'recharged' once a month in the summer. It would take them a week or so to get to it. Obviously, it was past its life expectancy. So, no, I do not feel a 12% rent increase in 2.5 years was justifiable. Maybe if I lived somewhere where things were fixed correctly and on time. But, still, I feel 12% is high for that short of a period. The complex charged more than most in the area when I moved in, but I chose it because they had some units with a washer and dryer in unit. The units without a washer and dryer were already about 20% higher than most in the area, with the exception of newer (within 20 years) complexes (I paid 40% more due to the washer and dryer). This one is from the 60s.

I never said anything about great tenants. I have no idea where that comment comes from. (The title, maybe? I didn't refer to it though.) And how do you know what kind of tenant I was? Never once was rent paid late. My apartment was kept neat and clean. Nothing was damaged. I even had a pet and received full credit for both my regular deposit and my pet deposit upon leaving. I never made noise to disturb others. I've never thrown a party in my life. I kept the TV low and I don't even own a stereo. I've never done drugs, much less sold them. I don't even drink. I've never been drunk in my entire life. No one even came over except for my sister bringing my niece for me to babysit. My niece was 6 months when I moved in, 3 years when I moved out. She didn't make noise. I had exactly one 'overnight guest' in the two and a half years. My two year old niece who wanted to have a sleepover. My pet was registered and paid for upon move in. She is a cat who has never damaged a thing, and I got my full pet deposit back. What more would you want? Did I put my own money into improvements? Heck no. I knew it was temporary. So if not improving the property makes me a deadbeat tenant, I guess I was.

Last edited by jaynarie; 06-16-2017 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-16-2017, 07:05 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Starwind View Post
I agree and it's funny how none of the landlords on this forum have yet to comment on the post...
What do you want us to say?

The OP has a dog, and moved quickly into a slum (it sounds like) because he had no choice due to his last experience.

I don't do month-to-month; I want a guarantee that my tenant will be there for 6 months, because I have a full-time job and don't have time to search for new tenants all the time.

OP, next time, vet your new place very carefully.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:15 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSkysGuy View Post
if you supply us with old appliances
deal with my crappy stove from 1986
because the windows haven't been replaced.
OP, did you notice all of that before you moved in? If so, why did you?

I don't rent a slum, and that's what yours sounds like.

Our appliances are at least 10 years or newer, they all work, and the little carpeting we do have (in the bedrooms) has been replaced before every tenant; the rest is wood laminate. My husband does all of the maintenance because he is a master mechanic and owns his own HVACR business. So that actually keeps your rent down.

So in reality, you are talking specifically about slumlords, not regular landlords. That's why it's very important to vet your rentals before you sign.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:22 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,614,777 times
Bottom line: renting houses is a business. There are good business owners and poor ones. Unfortunately, the poor ones outnumber the decent ones, in my opinion.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:29 AM

902 posts, read 863,854 times
Northern,

Option 3: Re-home your dog.

Pets are great. I really enjoy having a dog. I do not allow any pets in my properties, though. You have chosen to have a pet and as everyone who has ever rented before knows, having a pet makes it very difficult to find affordable lodging.

There is no rental crisis in the USA that I can see. You have created a situation of your own doing by having a pet. You do not have the income at this time to effectively support your desire to have an animal companion and live in accommodations you find pleasing.

Correct me if I'm misunderstanding but it appears you are trying to get the most value for your money. You are renting places that are cheaper than others with the same amenities but then are upset when the cheaper places are having maintenance issues.

Ultimately, due to the ability for any consumer to speak with their wallet, it's rare for a commodity to sell for more than what it's worth. Those apartments that are "great deals" are usually cheaper for a reason.

Speaking to your question regarding long term tenants, I hold onto them like grim death even if it means a below market rate. As in marriage, frequently it's "cheaper to keep her". It's more profitable for me to keep a good tenant than to gamble with an unknown. It only takes one bad tenant to erase years of profit due to damage.

I spent $20,000 on my latest property (2 bed/1 bath house) to restore it. I bought it from a landlord getting out of the business. His last tenant destroyed the house. $20,000... Due to condition, it was a cash only deal and I paid $50,000 less than the previous landlord did 10 years ago. Ouch.

So I'm into this one property for $50,000 (purchase price plus rehab costs). Can you see why I won't allow pets/smoking/etc.?

I'm also very inflexible with my tenants. We mutually signed a contract which stipulates each party's responsibilities to the other. This is a business relationship, pure and simple.

If a tenant requests to break a lease, I typically offer a lease break fee equal to 2 months rent and forfeiture of the security deposit. This absolves the tenant of any legal liability and provides me with vacancy protection. As I've stated previously, renting out a property outside of summertime is difficult. The applicants are of poorer quality and I typically have to list the home at a lower monthly rate. So while it may be seen as a money grab by some, more often then not, I'm not making much money by agreeing to an early termination. Any money made is offset by the hassle of screening for a new tenant. And tenant screening is an entirely different thread.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:50 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
I screen enough that I have a really good idea of the type of tenant I'm getting. I treat my tenants fairly. Considering most have contacted me asking if I can re-rent to them tells me that I'm doing something right.
As far as paying rent on time, not destroying the property, being considerate of the neighbors by nor acting like a moron, calling if there are issues should be things that you do because those are the rules. That should be normal behavior not exceptional behavior. Unfortunately there are enough crappy tenants that being normal sets you apart.

I'm not going to lie. I am in the business of making money. I know some of you think it's unfair and I'm greedy for doing it and that's fine. You're allowed to have a opinion. Just understand that no business is going to offer a item or service and do it for free. How a person gets the business is inconsequential to owning it. How they run it however is another story.

When I do business with someone and I end up not liking it I stop. I didn't care for BofA. I went elsewhere closed all my accounts. I didn't care for the way my insurance agent was handling my account. I went elsewhere. Same withbtenants. If I don't like the way things are going you're paying rent late all the time or not taking care of the property were going to part ways. Simple as that.

If you don't like the way your LL is treating you you leave. You gonrent somewhere else or you buy your own. Plenty of people figured out how to buy

Ive had tenants call with sob stories. At one time I was very forgiving. To the point where I was losing lots of money. I realized nobody really gives a **** about me. They could of cared less as long as I bought the story and let them be late with rent without charging them, or fixed something they broke. Completely my fault for allowing it. So I completely revamped my business and my outlook.
While I'm fair I am no longer a push over. Learning experience? Yup. Expensive ones.
I'm not your mommy or daddy. Dint expect me to be the shoulder to cry on

You guys wonder why LLs get tough? It's because they had to deal with crappy tenants before and during and after you leave.

I can't tell you why a LL would treat a good tenant like crap. I know all my tenants and all have been with me for 3-4 years now. I have one that's only been a year but I knew she was short term. But I treat them all with respect. Rent is paid and the properties are not abused. It's called mutual respect.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 06-16-2017 at 09:02 AM..

Old 06-16-2017, 10:29 AM

37,473 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSkysGuy View Post
... Landlords, please explain why you favor new people,who you don't even know if they will pay the rent or cause problems--over long term tenants??

I don't get it. Well, I do. In a tight rental market, it's all about how much money you can make.
In all 'rental markets' it is mostly about how much money you can make.

I have owned four apartment complexes in my past, and I have just recently gotten back into being a Landlord. I do not raise rents. I use a 1-year lease than we go month-to-month. I set rent levels when I begin to advertise, and I refuse to raise rent after that.

In my world view, if I keep raising rents I am forcing tenants to leave.

I have known with many other landlords. Tor the most part, they want to make the most money they can. So they will bump rent 10% every year until they have chased you away. Then they will drop rent 30% and do it all again. If their rent is 'low' then every month as they collect the rent, their internal dialog is: "I could be getting more this month, if only I had not set rent this low". Rents drop on vacant apartments, while rents climb on full apartments.

On the other hand, I do not like vacancies. I prefer to have tenants in all units, all the time. So I try to avoid anything that would chase a good tenant away.

I read the ads for the neighborhood. I write down every 1bdrm apt, every 2bdrm apt, etc. With each apt I make a note of how many 'extra's they have [like garage space or jacuzzi]. I average them, so I know how much the average 1bdrm is going for. I set my rent levels at 80% of the neighborhood average.

To answer your question, greed. In getting caught up in the act of reaching for more money, they forget the cost of vacancy. So it is self-defeating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting