Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 03:47 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,758,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Not always. My landlord lives downstairs from me (and he is retired), so things tend to get dealt with and resolved as soon as they are brought to his attention.

Dealing with a realty company would be like dealing with a leasing office in a complex - first-come, first served basis. You wait in line, and if some other tenant has an issue that is more pressing than yours, they are a higher priority.
The complex I live in requires you to submit your maintenance online and the time frame is no longer than two days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 03:51 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,758,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I was approved for a new apartment within 4 days of finding it on the Internet and sending an inquiry (Saturday, July 23 of last year) - I actually viewed it on July 25, submitted my application by email on July 26 and received the official approval/acceptance (July 27). I handed over the initial checks and received the keys on Friday the 29th.

So, yeah, it can happen "that" quickly.
Since safety is high on my list I would not want to rush when it comes to moving. Any area move to I want to be safe which is hard to find in 30 days.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:55 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,587,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My sons' In-laws rent a 2bdrm house for $450/month in Lincoln Maine.
usually low rent rates have a reason for being low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSkysGuy View Post
Another assumption, sorry to single you out.

Most people who live pay check to pay check choose to? Have you ever thought the jobs of today many people work are SET UP to keep you from working a second job to "get even" or "ahead?"

Retail jobs, well, you are at the mercy of the schedule. If they tell you M-F it's 8 am start then next week it's 10 am, you have little flexibility. You "can't just get another job" to make up the difference in your wages.

So, okay, no one has ever had a reversal of fortunes? Anyone fired or laid off here? Must be them. Bad work ethic? I mean, come on.

How is cable (just internet) a luxury in 2017? People have to keep up with technology and libraries aren't open 24/7. I suppose only the "better class" of person deserves his or her child to be educated? Also if there was more competition, or if it was like in other countries, internet would not be so darn expensive.

Who decides what is a luxury and what is necessity? In our family rent comes first, everything else second. I don't recall the last time I had more than a gas station cup of coffee out.

I can't expect other people to be disciplined like we are and yes, some people do want I-phones, big tvs, meals out, and cigarettes and alcohol.

Maybe life is too short for them. Maybe they were raised that way. Maybe they don't want someone telling them that they have to walk around like some beaten down loser because the system is rigged against the regular person, especially since the Recession. Ageism, racism, sexism, these have reared their ugly heads again now many of the jobs are no longer available.

And that's fine. Just don't complain when you have no money saved. I'm not going to tell anyone how to save or spend their money. But on that same thought don't sit there whining about how you can't get ahead and the man is holding you down while driving your leased Beamer into the parking lot, whipping out your LV purse to grab a cc to pay for your double soy latte before calling your work on that $800 iPhone because you're running late to get to your $15 a hour receptionist job.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:48 PM

37,485 posts, read 61,466,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
usually low rent rates have a reason for being low.
In this case, it is not outside of the norm, given the region.

It is not a high COL region, which is why retirees have been flocking to Maine [the nation's oldest state]. People on pensions can not afford to live in high COL areas.

Maine has over 3,000 miles of coastline that draws a lot of tourists. Homes priced at $300k are common in coastal villages. I do not live on the coast. In my inland town, homes routinely go on the market for $25 to $40k. It is a depressed area. Mills have been shutting down, there are few jobs. I am well aware of why the COL is so low here. That is why I migrated here after I retired.

Taxes in this part of New England are amazingly low too.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:01 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,049,696 times
Quote:

It is not a high COL region, which is why retirees have been flocking to Maine [the nation's oldest state]. People on pensions can not afford to live in high COL areas.

Maine has over 3,000 miles of coastline that draws a lot of tourists. Homes priced at $300k are common in coastal villages. I do not live on the coast. In my inland town, homes routinely go on the market for $25 to $40k. It is a depressed area. Mills have been shutting down, there are few jobs. I am well aware of why the COL is so low here. That is why I migrated here after I retired.

again, low rents are low for a reason and you just gave that reason. It's a depressed area will, over time, become infested with drugs, crime and low income residents who have no where else to go. If only retired pensioners lived there you might not have any issues, but most 'depressed areas' are depressed for a reason.

COL is low because there's no 'living' going on...

Old 06-21-2017, 05:05 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,049,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Since safety is high on my list I would not want to rush when it comes to moving. Any area move to I want to be safe which is hard to find in 30 days.
Don't you know the area in which you live? Don't you already know the good from the bad? Unless you're moving to another city/town or state...30 days is plenty of time to find that safe area.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
again, low rents are low for a reason and you just gave that reason. It's a depressed area will, over time, become infested with drugs, crime and low income residents who have no where else to go. If only retired pensioners lived there you might not have any issues, but most 'depressed areas' are depressed for a reason.

COL is low because there's no 'living' going on...
I suppose it depends on how you define living.

I have seen many news articles tracking the migration as young adults leave the state, seeking the lure of high wages and excitement that cities offer.

Retirees [like me] migrate here for the low-cost homes and low taxes.

The economy has been forestry and tourism. But the mills have been closing due to many factors.

This state is over 92% forest, but to buy a 2X4 lumber it comes from Canada. Analysts say we do not have the proper government subsidies to support local lumber. It is cheaper to import lumber, they can produce it for less and still make a profit. I have 150 acres of woodlot and I attend workshops on 'treegrowth' management but there is no bright future for forestry here. The mills have shutdown.

Tourism is big, with over 3,000 miles of coastline. There are many small coastal villages with picturesque coves. People from Mass and NJ come here and they buy Million dollar vacation homes, that keeps the summer time economy pumping.

Farming seems to be the next upcoming economy here. In a nation where there are fewer farms each year, we have more farms each year. They are primarily small organic sustainable operations. I know a lot of people who operate massive gardens and sell produce at roadside markets. I am a vendor in a Farmer's Market. My wife is in another Farmer's Market.

I grewup on a farm in California. My siblings are still there doing it. Farms under 400 acres have mostly been squeezed out of operation in California, you need to get big or they will squeeze you out. But here it is a different type of economy, you can support a family working 10 acres here.

Before we came to Maine, I did not think that anyone could ever support themselves by 'gardening' veggies on 5 acres of land.

We came here with my small pension, knowing that $1,480/month was going to be enough to support a family here. Now that we have been here, we have gotten to know a lot of organic farmers who are making it work out for themselves. I produce maple, fiddleheads, honey, pork and herbs.

It is nice having my pension, primarily for the healthcare. A lot of people struggle with lack of healthcare. There are too many people left without healthcare by the ACA.

'Living' is happening.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:39 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,587,883 times
Quote:

But that's the reason why rents are low. Because I guarantee you in the costal towns you mentioned it isn't. Because the economy there can support higher rents. COL and low rent and house purchase amounts are what they are because the mills have been shutting down. Which means the lumberjacks aren't there getting the pay. What supported that local economy was the mill(s) and the workers pay. Once the cash flow slowed or stopped the COL in the area adjusted to the cash flow in the area. That's why small town life that revolves around a mill mine or some plant literally live and die by that entity. Once it goes away that whole town dies.
A great example is some of these towns that were boom towns in North Dakota. They were booming. Guys we're pulling in 100/150k a year without trying. Buying trucks, houses, businesses in the area. Then the oil market dumped when oil from $110/120 to $45 a barrel and those boom towns disappeared. Those people list everything.
I understand that you moved for the retirement/lower COL, but the reason your son is paying $450 a month in rent is because that's all the local economy can support. For whatever reasons. There just isn't a free lunch. COL is either high or low in a area for a reason. As a rule not going to go in a low col and be pulling 80/90k a year. While everyone is pulling 35/40k

Old 06-21-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
But that's the reason why rents are low. Because I guarantee you in the costal towns you mentioned it isn't. Because the economy there can support higher rents. COL and low rent and house purchase amounts are what they are because the mills have been shutting down. Which means the lumberjacks aren't there getting the pay. What supported that local economy was the mill(s) and the workers pay. Once the cash flow slowed or stopped the COL in the area adjusted to the cash flow in the area. That's why small town life that revolves around a mill mine or some plant literally live and die by that entity. Once it goes away that whole town dies.
A great example is some of these towns that were boom towns in North Dakota. They were booming. Guys we're pulling in 100/150k a year without trying. Buying trucks, houses, businesses in the area. Then the oil market dumped when oil from $110/120 to $45 a barrel and those boom towns disappeared. Those people list everything.
I understand that you moved for the retirement/lower COL, but the reason your son is paying $450 a month in rent is because that's all the local economy can support. For whatever reasons. There just isn't a free lunch. COL is either high or low in a area for a reason. As a rule not going to go in a low col and be pulling 80/90k a year. While everyone is pulling 35/40k
I did not say there was any free lunch for anyone.

As a military retiree, it benefits me to seek regions where I can prosper on my small pension and avoid military bases.

On these threads the city folk often forget that low COL places still exist.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:31 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,713,406 times
Quote:
I did not say there was any free lunch for anyone.

As a military retiree, it benefits me to seek regions where I can prosper on my small pension and avoid military bases.

On these threads the city folk often forget that low COL places still exist.

Yes, there are plenty of them around here also in the smaller towns/communities. They are called 'bedroom communities' because people live there but some (or many) commute into the larger cities, if need be. Rent is about 1/2 or less then the city and they are very nice apts/complexes and even SFHs. Not even close to what some are referring to as 'slums'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting