Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 07:40 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
First determine if it is a real service dog. It is a common tactic of pit bull owners to say their kid killer is a “service dog” or “emotional support animal” in order to circumvent housing restrictions. A real service dog stay with its handler, performs an actual task (other than providing comfort), never pulls at the leash, never barks or pays attention to other dogs, is always focused on the handler, sits or lies quietly by the handler’s side when not moving, never pulls, lunges, or otherwise tries to approach or show interest in other people or animals, does not relieve itself without permission, does not sniff, search for, or eat things off the ground, etc. If the potential tenants show up with a dog dragging them along as it zig-zags back and forth in front of them until it spots you and them gets excited, or acts scared and starts barking, NOT A SERVICE DOG. If it growls or barks, you can already deny them for acts of aggression and bad behavior. If they claim the ESA nonsense, demand to see their letter, then confirm it came from an actual doctor with a real business. Many of these jerks buy their letters from internet “doctors” for less than $50. You can call and confirm the doctor actually wrote the letter. There are certainly ways you can call them out (and point out faking a service dog is a felony offense) and make them decide it isn’t worth it. Of course if it is a legitimate service dog (not a pit bull), they will not cause any issues in your apartment. I believe you can, and should, require they carry their own dog liability insurance and keep it up to date.
You do realize that their are real service dogs that are pits don't you? There are also pit "service" dogs, in government "employee" roles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 11:42 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Default hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
California: It's a single family dwelling with no yard and new carpet throughout the house. Keeping a dog constantly inside, I feel, would be animal cruelty--not to mention the wear-and tear on the expensive carpeting. Can I make a legitimate exception for renting to someone with a comfort companion dog or service dog because I have no yard?
seems to be such constant confusion about this... all you have to do is collect your applications and make your decision, as LL/owner or whatever, to rent to someone else? No need to go into all the rules and regulations and reasons. If they insist on a reason give them one...just not the one they are expecting...just don't rent to them, pour a cup of coffee and relax, you're way to worked up over this. Actually, I think I'm the one getting worked up over this...sorry.
Klale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting