Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 05:54 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,619,791 times

Advertisements

Advice needed: I found a great apartment and just got approved from the owner. I live in Fl. and the apt. is in Va. he wants me to send him the funds of one month as a depsoit then he will send me the lease. Would you do this? My sister met him and toured the apt with him and after googling his name he checks out as a realtor and is the private owner of the apt building. Would you wire the money or do you think its safer to have my sister meet him with the check? Thoughts? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 06:32 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
He's not going to hold it for you without a deposit and he sure isn't going to give you a lease without being paid. Once you have the lease you are a tenant.

Sure, if you want to, you can have your sister take the check and get a receipt that it is to hold the apartment for you

Old 10-25-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
He's not going to hold it for you without a deposit and he sure isn't going to give you a lease without being paid. Once you have the lease you are a tenant.

Sure, if you want to, you can have your sister take the check and get a receipt that it is to hold the apartment for you
any other time I always gave the deposit check at the same time I signed the lease. I guess its different because I am out of state?

Old 10-25-2017, 06:38 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
any other time I always gave the deposit check at the same time I signed the lease. I guess its different because I am out of state?
You could always fly up there and give the deposit at the same time you sign the lease. I don't know how you would do both at the same time if you and the landlord are located in different states.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
You could always fly up there and give the deposit at the same time you sign the lease. I don't know how you would do both at the same time if you and the landlord are located in different states.
I guess your right I was thinking he send me the lease I sign it and execute it then send it back along with the funds.. just sounds risky otherwise might go with the check option and my sister. Thank you for your help!

Old 10-26-2017, 12:37 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Quote:
Advice needed: I found a great apartment and just got approved from the owner. I live in Fl. and the apt. is in Va. he wants me to send him the funds of one month as a depsoit then he will send me the lease. Would you do this?
F--K NO!

I've been reading this stuff for 16 years and every time somebody does that, they get screwed.

Go there, inspect the place personally, make sure it's turnkey by YOUR standards. You're the one going to live there, not your sister.

If the place checks out OK, THEN you sign the lease and pay. Just make sure you keep a copy of the lease when you sign it and make sure the landlord's signature is on it, too. None of this "I'll send you a copy" business. Use your camera phone if there is no other way to copy it.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:12 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
Quote:
Advice needed: I found a great apartment and just got approved from the owner. I live in Fl. and the apt. is in Va. he wants me to send him the funds of one month as a depsoit then he will send me the lease. Would you do this? My sister met him and toured the apt with him and after googling his name he checks out as a realtor and is the private owner of the apt building. Would you wire the money or do you think its safer to have my sister meet him with the check? Thoughts? Thanks!!
I would be making a trip to see the unit and meet the landlord myself. I understand your sister viewed your unit, but she's not signing the lease; you are.

It's normal for a deposit to be paid to hold the unit, just make sure whatever funds you send, you get a receipt back. And make sure the receipt cleaning defines what type of deposit you're paying.

But honestly, drive up or fly up to VA and do it yourself.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:58 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Is this a holding deposit? A security deposit?

If a holding deposit, is it refundable if you decline to sign the lease (likely not)? When you do sign the lease, does the holding deposit become your security deposit or first month's rent?

Quote:

He doesn't have to "hold" the apartment at this point. He can simply email the lease to her, and she can instantly review it and respond. If she's agreeable to the terms, then she can send the holding deposit and the signed lease. All of this can be done electronically and within the same day. If she's not agreeable to the lease terms, he's lost just a few hours and can then reach out to the next approved applicant. If done within 24 hours, he hasn't lost any rent which is why holding deposits are required.

Holding deposits, I understand. Not allowing an approved applicant to review the terms of the lease without first paying a significant, likely non-refundable amount of money first, I don't understand.

If she wasn't long distance, would he still require the deposit before allowing her to see the lease? With the advantages of technology and being able to transfer funds and ratify documents electronically and quickly, there should be no reason why he would require a deposit before allowing her to read the lease.

OP - I would not send a significant amount of money (likely non-refundable) without even knowing yet what terms I'm agreeing to abide by. That would be my stance on it, and if I lost the apartment - oh, well.

Last edited by HokieFan; 10-26-2017 at 07:22 AM..

Old 10-28-2017, 07:01 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
We don't hold any rental without holding/security deposit. If someone wants to see a blank void lease example that's fine as we can email that prior to signing but no deposit, no lease.

We will say "next"!

BUT keep in mind we are professional licensed realtors while there are scammers saying something similar and taking off with your money so buyer/tenant beware!

Old 10-28-2017, 08:04 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
About 6 years ago I held a place for a guy (out of state) and he never sent the lease never called. I didn't take a non refundable deposit or any deposit. I lost a good local tenant who applied but I was holding it for the out of stater. By the time I got back to the local applicant he already found a place.

My new rule pretty much went to the default if I take a deposit it's nonrefundable now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting