Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2018, 12:22 PM

784 posts, read 730,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Tenants have everything to do with how good the section 8 experience goes. I have seen neighborhoods destroyed by section 8. Be aware of single moms with kids. They want their boyfriends to move in then his kids then she has another baby. Next thing you know you have 10 people using the appliances and toilet and wearing your apartment out.
That is the one thing you can expect with Section 8, is a live-in boyfriend. And renters always being late. And fixing tenant damage or losing rent while you are required to fix it.

If I was going to do Section 8, I would do the following.
  • 625 Credit score for all occupants
  • Rent due midnight prior to the first, 8% late fee on day 4.
  • Inspections every 4-months, any damage fixed and required to be paid in 30 days. All amounts paid go to damage first, then rent.
  • A letter to the Section 8 office on day 2, and eviction filed on Day 4 of the month is rent not paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 12:32 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,767,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREin2016 View Post
That is the one thing you can expect with Section 8, is a live-in boyfriend. And renters always being late. And fixing tenant damage or losing rent while you are required to fix it.

If I was going to do Section 8, I would do the following.
  • 625 Credit score for all occupants
  • Rent due midnight prior to the first, 8% late fee on day 4.
  • Inspections every 4-months, any damage fixed and required to be paid in 30 days. All amounts paid go to damage first, then rent.
  • A letter to the Section 8 office on day 2, and eviction filed on Day 4 of the month is rent not paid.
You are not allowed to make your own rules, if you want to be part of the program you have to agree to their guidelines.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post

They moved in, 5 or 6 adults living in the home, state pays something like $1300, they pay $175. First month they were 15 days late on rent.
I just can't fathom why people would be so dumb when most of their rent is being paid to not pay their small share on time. If they split it up between 5 people it's only $35 each, that's less than $10 a week, almost only $! a day each.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:38 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
I've rented to a family with a Bankruptcy... they came to my open house... and wanted to rent... Mother, Father and two daughters... before taking the application the father said he didn't want to waste my time... said he owned a business and in the course of conversation said he owned a business with a partner and the partner embezzled and left the country... it was all true and was in the newspapers.

I do not rent to people that have been evicted or to people that lie to me... or those that do not respect the property... especially when they are on their best behavior when looking to rent.

I checked and did rent to them... model tenants for 7 years and then they bought a home...

Had they not been upfront there would have been zero chance...

Back to Section 8... remember the tenant portions might be a negative number to 98% of the rent due... it changes depending on income and family size... I have had instances where Housing paid the full rent and sent the tenant a check for being underhoused... in 35 years you see a lot.

I have a long term Section 8 tenant now that is facing a reduction from a 3 bedroom to Studio... this is particularly difficult in that the chances of her finding another Section 8 are nearly non existent...

As required... I notified housing of the reduction in family size... that was 3 months ago and the check keeps coming...

Old 05-10-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
You are not allowed to make your own rules, if you want to be part of the program you have to agree to their guidelines.
Are you saying you cannot have a lease? No rules in the lease? What if you are in a homeowners association, can the HOA implement rules? Can you even screen tenants? Can you have safety inspections for the same things the Section 8 inspector would fail you on? Can you fix tenant damage and charge the tenant for the damage?

Unfortunately, you are wrong. These rules would all be allowed.

Quote:
I just can't fathom why people would be so dumb when most of their rent is being paid to not pay their small share on time. If they split it up between 5 people it's only $35 each, that's less than $10 a week, almost only $! a day each.
Do you think you are dealing with rocket scientists?

Last edited by FIREin2016; 05-10-2018 at 05:46 AM..

Old 05-10-2018, 05:52 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
So put the pressure on the landlord not to use Section 8. If the neighborhood is good, they should have no problems renting fair market. Usually all it takes if for the other property owners to confront this owner and let their feelings be known. But, if the people are wimpy cry babies who complain in their closets, they deserve what they get!
Indeed they are. The turnout for the meeting was incredible. It's one of the few apartments in an area almost exclusively SFH. There was no problem renting out as SD has a housing shortage.

This was simply pressure put on city council.

Wimpy cry babies? Some of these folks are over 90. Exactly how much "roar" do you expect from someone of that age?

Old 05-10-2018, 11:02 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
Are you saying you cannot have a lease? No rules in the lease? ...........
If you accept Section 8, you are required to use their lease, not your own. You can not accept a Section 8 tenant on a month to month basis, 1 year lease minimum.

Yes, you can charge Section 8 tenants for damage, not that it does much good. They don't have any money and aren't collectible. You can't garnish their welfare payment.

You can try to make the tenant adhere to HOA rukes, but they have little motivation to comply. Fines for non compliance go to the owner of the property, not the tenant, and the tenant can't be kicked out.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately, you are wrong.

?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you accept Section 8, you are required to use their lease, not your own. You can not accept a Section 8 tenant on a month to month basis, 1 year lease minimum.

Yes, you can charge Section 8 tenants for damage, not that it does much good. They don't have any money and aren't collectible. You can't garnish their welfare payment.

You can try to make the tenant adhere to HOA rukes, but they have little motivation to comply. Fines for non compliance go to the owner of the property, not the tenant, and the tenant can't be kicked out.
Thanks for the info, Oregonwoodsmoke.

Firein2016 you are the one who is wrong.

I was just stating that you can't make your own ridiculous rules such as: and I quote
"Rent due midnight prior to the first, 8% late fee on day 4.
Inspections every 4-months, any damage fixed and required to be paid in 30 days. All amounts paid go to damage first, then rent.
A letter to the Section 8 office on day 2, and eviction filed on Day 4 of the month is rent not paid."

Old 05-10-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Oregonwoodsmoke.

Firein2016 you are the one who is wrong.

I was just stating that you can't make your own ridiculous rules such as: and I quote
"Rent due midnight prior to the first, 8% late fee on day 4.
Inspections every 4-months, any damage fixed and required to be paid in 30 days. All amounts paid go to damage first, then rent.
A letter to the Section 8 office on day 2, and eviction filed on Day 4 of the month is rent not paid."
That is all in my standard lease, non-section 8, except the inspections. Once you are a landlord, you will understand leases and how to protect yourself.

Have you never seen a clause when rent is due? You pay rent in advance in my units.
Quote:
1. PAYMENT: RESIDENT will pay MANAGEMENT the full monthly rent before midnight of the first day of each month while this lease is in effect and during any extensions or renewals of this lease. Rent will be paid as required by MANAGEMENT.
In MN, we have a maximum 8% late fee.
Quote:
4. LATE RENT SERVICE CHARGE AND RETURNED CHECK FEE: RESIDENT will pay the Service Charge listed above if RESIDENT does not pay the full monthly rent by the 5th day of the month. RESIDENT also will pay a fee of $30 for each returned check. Rent is “paid” when MANAGEMENT receives it, not when mailed or sent by RESIDENT.
Have you never heard of past due amounts will be paid first?
Quote:
48. RENT PAYMENTS APPLIED. Rent payments will be applied first to the outstanding balance, then to any rent due. If the outstanding balance consists of late charges, maintenance charges, fines, or other charges, this balance will be considered rent due and will be paid first prior to MANAGEMENT applying payments to any future rent due.
In case you were not aware, a landlord is supposed to keep an apartment in a habitable condition, or the Section 8 office will not pay them. Even a torn screen will cause a rent payment to be missed. A landlord needs top stay on top of repairs, and the tenant is responsible for damages. If they do not pay, you need to evict.

Quote:
55. MINIMUM CHARGES FOR REPAIRS _______________ (Initials)
There will be a minimum charge for damages that are not repaired by RESIDENT before last day of lease. Actual charges may exceed these minimum charges. Broken Windows $150 ea; Range cleaning $200 ea.; Refrigerator cleaning $100 ea.; Burned out bulbs $5 ea; Torn Shades $20 ea; General apt. Cleaning $550; Clogged toilets, $125; Carpet cleaning, $200; Missing keys, $5 ea; Broken mini-blinds $25; Broken vertical-blinds $50; Couch/Loveseat removal $75; Mattress/Box spring removal $40 each piece; Nuisance calls, $50; Maintenance/repair labor $75.00 per hour; Cleaning labor, $40.00 per hr. On-site Storage, $250 per month. Lease termination fee, 2 months’ rent; lease re-marketing fee for early move outs $50% of one month’s rent. Extra occupants, if approved, $50 minimum per month.
Nothing would be a problem.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:26 AM

13,131 posts, read 21,006,984 times
Quote:
Nothing would be a problem.
When you agree to accept Section 8 Voucher tenants, you must also agree to an entire set of regulations that governs your acceptance and interaction with Section 8 tenants. Some of those regulations could limit or prevent you from enforcing some of the terms you posted. You can also find yourself being dragged into a lengthy legal battler where the housing administrators take legal action against you over how you treated a tenant or for trying to enforce a clause in your lease that violates federal/state Section 8 Voucher regulations. That is what I belive LifeIsGood is talking about.

Last edited by Rabrrita; 05-11-2018 at 12:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting