Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 09:59 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREin2016 View Post
From my countless calls I receive, many of the Section 8 calls I get are people from the east African regions. They are looking for 3-4+ bedrooms, one wanted a 6+ bedroom place. It is not unusual for them to tell me they have 5-6 children.

I do not take S8 any longer, and I have heard that the tenants have to call literally 100s of numbers to get a LL that does take S8. Maybe that was an exaggeration, but I have asked several people that have inquired, and they all say it is hard to find a LL in a good area that wants it.

Refugees are basically here permanently, and I believe that they get a S8 voucher right away. No waiting. Most have limited skills. I have seen many that work as taxi drivers and truck drivers. They always have the option to go back to their homeland on their own, but until the country is deemed safe, even illegal immigrants cannot be deported to that country.

Some counties even pay for car insurance if the people need a car to get to and from work.
They have to be here for at least a year before they can apply for legal permanent residence. Then, they have to go through that process, which can be lengthy, before they get approved.

Of course, the OP has disappeared. But, the story that they are new immigrants doesn't make sense, as far as them also having a HUD voucher. Smells fishy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Don't think so. The Section 8 list is maintained by local housing authorities. There would appear to be no mechanism for refugees to cut in front of the line. Our local wait list has not been opened in a decade. So you would have to have lived here a decade ago to even be on it.

There may be an arrangement to allow access to local public housing. But that is not Section 8.
Exactly.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Here is what happened after Katrina... thousands displaced having lost everything.

Emergency Vouchers were issued good anywhere in the country.

These refugees simply showed up with Vouchers in hand and I saw several here in California.
But they were citizens, right? The OP was saying the tenants were new immigrants who had a Section 8 voucher. It just didn't make sense to me.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:22 AM

784 posts, read 728,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
But they were citizens, right? The OP was saying the tenants were new immigrants who had a Section 8 voucher. It just didn't make sense to me.
It happens all the time. I think the Feds open new 'slots', based on the number of new immigrants/refugees. It may not make sense to you, but 100% it happens.

I see it first hand, dozens of times on every vacancy I have.

Here is a link to some of the subsidies that are being used.
http://www.startribune.com/refugee-r...ams/415829614/

Quote:
New refugees receive a federal grant of no more than $1,125 to help pay for rent, furnishings, food and other expenses in their first three months of arrival. A small number can opt into a federal program that covers more early expenses, with a push to find a job within four months. The rest rely on public assistance programs to supplement federal dollars.

Few federally and state-funded programs here track refugee status. There’s no way to glean refugee use of unemployment insurance, MNsure insurance subsidies, Section 8 vouchers and state-run housing subsidy programs, among others. The state does not know how many refugee students enroll in public schools.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:47 AM

30,617 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Fair or not, I would not rent to Section 8 tenants. My condo is too nice and I've found that people don't treat things well if they aren't paying for them (or paying full price for things). Of course there are exceptions, but I don't want to take what I consider to be an added, unnecessary risk.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:10 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
The only one's I know as head of Household were citizens... but not all family members were.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:30 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
The following are the requirements. Now, before anyone turns this into an immigration debate, these are people who have already gone through the system and have been officially granted a particular status by our government, not those seeking or claiming it.

U.S. citizens.

Persons lawfully admitted for permanent residence.

Persons granted refugee or asylum status because of persecution, or fear of persecution, on account of race, nationality, religion, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group.

Persons granted “parole status” by the U.S. Attorney General for emergent or public interest reasons.**Parole is a procedure which allows a noncitizen to come into the United States without being granted official admission status.

Persons granted withholding of deportation or removal. These persons are lawfully present because the U.S. Attorney General has withheld deportation/removal because of a threat to life or freedom in their country of origin.

Persons granted temporary residence under the general amnesty provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 based on having resided in the U.S. since before January 1, 1982.

Persons qualifying as victims of trafficking because they have been subject to a severe form of trafficking in persons such as sex trafficking, involuntary servitude, debt bondage, peonage, or slavery.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:15 PM

500 posts, read 359,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Right? How is it that a credit report is "unfixable". That's impossible.
Heck depending on Statue of limitations and other rules....

Everything should fall off your credit report in 7 years...

Now I know there are gazallions of exceptions for stuff "falling off your credit report", but 7 years is a good starting point for researching credit reporting.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:20 PM

500 posts, read 359,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingtx View Post
uh. Jobs.

Also. Jobs.

And what does shipping people out do? So glad i don’t live in that world anymore. The nimbyism is insane.
nm

Old 05-16-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
The following are the requirements. Now, before anyone turns this into an immigration debate, these are people who have already gone through the system and have been officially granted a particular status by our government, not those seeking or claiming it.

U.S. citizens.

Persons lawfully admitted for permanent residence.

Persons granted refugee or asylum status because of persecution, or fear of persecution, on account of race, nationality, religion, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group.

Persons granted “parole status” by the U.S. Attorney General for emergent or public interest reasons.**Parole is a procedure which allows a noncitizen to come into the United States without being granted official admission status.

Persons granted withholding of deportation or removal. These persons are lawfully present because the U.S. Attorney General has withheld deportation/removal because of a threat to life or freedom in their country of origin.

Persons granted temporary residence under the general amnesty provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 based on having resided in the U.S. since before January 1, 1982.

Persons qualifying as victims of trafficking because they have been subject to a severe form of trafficking in persons such as sex trafficking, involuntary servitude, debt bondage, peonage, or slavery.
Huh. Thanks. I found the document by using your info above to search Google:

https://www.hud.gov/sites/documents/DOC_11749.PDF

In case anyone else wants to actually read the whole thing. Sorry to go off on a tangent, but since I actually have a HUD voucher and was asked to prove my citizenship, I thought it was a requirement. Maybe they just asked me if I was a citizen, and so there was no need to mention anything else. That seems to make the most sense.

Thanks for the info. Always like learning new things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting