Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2020, 11:13 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
.......So, yeah, pretty soon we all might have to start accepting section 8 to survive this.

Not me. I'll leave my houses empty before I will accept any Section 8 tenants who can not pass my standard screening process that I apply fairly and evenly to all applicants.

The worst problem with Section 8 isn't the tenants. It is that you have to deal with the housing authority and their bureaucracy gone wild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 11:38 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
We finally got our 'Certificate-of-Occupancy' from the city. We bought this property in 2016 and we got it legal in 2020. The Fire Sprinkler system was the biggest hold-up. It is an old cast iron system originally installed in 1903.

Since my last post on this thread, we have fell into a group that helps prisoners in an early-release program. These prisoners are all in a work-release program, so they have their own money to spend for housing. My apartments are within walking distance from a large baker where many of these work-release prisoners have full-time jobs.

I had a conversation with city zoning about this, and they brought it up to the town selectmen, who quickly passed an ordinance that forbids sex offenders from living on my block.

We have told the prison case-workers that we prefer our tenants to be vets, they say that there are plenty enough veterans in the prison, to accommodate us.

Some prison caseworkers and parole officers have toured my property, and they think these apartments will be ideal.

I figure that if I have a parole officer on my speed dial for each tenant, then I hold much more control over these tenants, as compared to any other prospective tenant.

Old 04-26-2020, 08:52 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,910,674 times
When I had my rentals I told people that I would have to be Section 8 to take Section 8.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:52 PM

681 posts, read 2,801,273 times
When I dove into the Section 8 pool, I got burnt.

They presented themselves as great people, with good references from past landlords (who I verified ... but I feel the landlords just said good things to get me to go away).

Long story short, they constantly broke HOA rules, their cars got towed because of lack of plates. When I visited, there was always about 6 people "visiting". On top of that, they would not hide the fact that they smoked everything that can be smoked, even though my lease forbids any smoking in the unit.

I tried to evict, but the section 8 authority told me I did not have enough proof it was them that was smoking in the unit. When the lease came up for renewal, I did not renew. After they vacated, they left the place a complete wreck. $13k in renovations later it became rentable again (complete paint walls and ceiling to get rid of smoke, new flooring to get rid of smoke, sanitizing the ventilation systems, needed new light fixtures as they took apart my old ones, new window latches ... again they managed to break all the latches, new fridge and stove as they destroyed those to the point where they no longer worked, missing bathroom fixtures (what the heck do they do with faucet handles??) and the list goes on and on).

Section 8 ... never again.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:56 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,440,379 times
We used to have section 8 people...the house would be inspected before they moved in. The deposit was paid. When the people moved out the house would be inspected again and any damage would be covered. Later the landlord had to collect the deposit and if there was any damage to the house the landlord would be responsible to try to collect from the tenants. It was then that it did not work well for us.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:25 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
We used to have section 8 people...the house would be inspected before they moved in. The deposit was paid. When the people moved out the house would be inspected again and any damage would be covered. Later the landlord had to collect the deposit and if there was any damage to the house the landlord would be responsible to try to collect from the tenants. It was then that it did not work well for us.
LOL How do you collect from people that (at least on paper) have next to nothing? Maybe this is why they tend to destroy the places they stay at. They know that they can get away with it.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:28 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,553,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
what the heck do they do with faucet handles??
They're not gentle with them. They use so much torque over and over that something that should last 10 years will last 2 years.

That's why I'm slowly removing appliances in my rentals. Too much cost to continue providing them. Next will go window treatments.

I feel USA is about 30 years away from Europe where you just get a place with 4 walls.

In many middle eastern countries, the rental doesn't even have light fixtures.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:54 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
They're not gentle with them. They use so much torque over and over that something that should last 10 years will last 2 years.

That's why I'm slowly removing appliances in my rentals. Too much cost to continue providing them. Next will go window treatments.

I feel USA is about 30 years away from Europe where you just get a place with 4 walls.

In many middle eastern countries, the rental doesn't even have light fixtures.
Many places in be states don’t have interior light fixtures. My last two rental didn't.. you wanted light you bought a lamp or installed a ceiling fan with lights.

Are you saying that people with sec 8 somehow have more physical strength than people who don’t??

Maybe the fixtures are old or cheap as hell. Look, I’d never ever have a sec 8 tenant, but I wouldn’t blame missing or broken fixtures on ‘too much torque’. Missing ones? They were sold. Broken ones? They were old or cheap to begin with.

Sec 8 tenants, the majority, of them do trash your units.. they damage walls, carpets, tiles and appliances (if they don’t steal them first). A crap shoot not willing to gamble on.

Old 05-01-2020, 11:37 AM

784 posts, read 730,208 times
It has nothing to do with the fact they are on Section 8. Many tenants that are not on Section 8, or got kicked off Section 8, are equally or worse tenants.

Look for other attributes. Higher income and at least a 625 credit score, for ALL occupants. Then the source of payment is less of an issue.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:20 AM

3,979 posts, read 2,357,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
LOL How do you collect from people that (at least on paper) have next to nothing? Maybe this is why they tend to destroy the places they stay at. They know that they can get away with it.

I like one of my Section 8 tenants but this particular person doesn't seem to get that outside of the rental isn't a dumping ground. TVs, old microwaves and grills used to litter the landscape outside this rental. I had to have a talk with this person for this situation to stop. They just don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting