Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2018, 01:06 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,067,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
From what I understand, section 8 people are high risk because they have nothing to lose. Their credit is already way down there. Everyone knows the housing department will not do anything when the landlord reports the property destroyed. No security deposit at all. What could the landlord possibly sue the ex-tenant for when they are already dirt poor? And for a lot of people, poverty really is a mental and psychological state of mind.
Really? What property owner would rent to anyone without a security deposit? Slum places? My friend, who is still on section 8, had to come up with $1000 security deposit. Of course, he has a nice apartment in a nice part of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 02:10 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,894,516 times
When I was a landlord I used to tell people I had to be Section 8 to take Section 8.

It was partly due to potentially low quality tenants but a lot had to do with having a government agency's nose in my business.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:14 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You live in a low income area what do you expect?
This coming from a person who says only 1 or 2 people put of 100 on section 8 are good tenants.

Where are you MarALago?

Old 04-28-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
There was a time when it was the only prospect in town or in certain sections with lots of vacancies...

I would rehab buildings so they were nice and clean and that included landscaping... my properties were the only ones with a green lawn, etc in some areas and many went Section 8.

Another aspect I did not mention is the use of contract inspectors... this is another new development where the inspectors are paid for the number if visits and there is no continuity... no one speaking like a parent telling the tenant what Housing expects...

As mentioned... I really did think the program was quite good on many fronts back in the day... it provided affordable clean and safe housing... offered a way to retain and rehab housing stock in depressed areas and provided guidance to the family and owner...

With each change the shift has been more responsibility on the owner and many have told me if they are responsible for why bother with subsidized and they opt for non assisted tenants... it has become most difficult for new Voucher holders to find anything to rent...

Another aspect which has improved it once I have found a tenant the a request for lease approval is made... it was typically running 10 to 14 days for initial inspection... if I have a qualified tenant ready to move in... why would I wait two weeks for the chance of renting assisted.

Appliances is another item as we no longer provide any free standing appliances... it is not required and Housing allowed $2 for a stove and $2 for a refrigerator... for $48 a year to eliminate half my service calls isn't even a topic worthy of discussion...
They have to provide their own stove and fridge?

Old 04-28-2018, 02:25 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
This coming from a person who says only 1 or 2 people put of 100 on section 8 are good tenants.

Where are you MarALago?

What's your point? You live in a low income area and complain about drugs and thugs...who do think live in the low income areas??? Decent hardworking upstanding citizens? Yeah..no.

My estimation on good vs bad isn't that far off. While you can 'get rid' of section 8ers, you're on the hook for the damage they leave behind. It's not like they're worth suing...you'll never, ever see a dime.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:26 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsnation34 View Post
1-2 out of 100? So 98-99% of these types of tenants just don’t care and treat the place like a dump? Sorry, not buying it.
You don't have to buy for it to be true.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
What's your point? You live in a low income area and complain about drugs and thugs...who do think live in the low income areas??? Decent hardworking upstanding citizens? Yeah..no.

My estimation on good vs bad isn't that far off. While you can 'get rid' of section 8ers, you're on the hook for the damage they leave behind. It's not like they're worth suing...you'll never, ever see a dime.
I don't complain about thugs and the drug dealers moved away and good section 8 tenants moved in.

I live in an area where homes were lower cost and have appreciated a lot. Redfin had my home increasing in value by almost 65% in 2 years. That's not even counting the improvements I made with a new roof, new windows and updated plumbing. You'd be hard pressed to find a small home going for $100K or less now. One 3/2 about 900 sq ft is asking $145K they won't get it but they will get over $100K, and homes in Suncoast estates, which I am not in, have mobile homes from the 70s going for $70K plus with their own land.

It's not a low income area either. It's mixed with retirees who have very nice homes and working class people and people who own 4 lots so they can have a place to park their $200K motornome and their boat and off road jeep. There were some bad people but they are leaving as the rents are going up and the area is improving.

And I think you live in Cape Coral and it's not something to brag about.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
You don't have to buy for it to be true.
Looking down on others does not make you feel better about yourself, even if you think it might.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:21 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
They have to provide their own stove and fridge?
Yes... unless the stove is built-in.

Over the years it never failed... a nice Thanksgiving with family and friends and get a frantic call the oven isn't working or on the 4th of July the refrigerator stopped working with $600 of steaks going bad...

It's just the economics of it... the $2 a month Housing paid the owner for a refrigerator or stove is something I gladly gave up.

On my higher end homes... almost everyone has very good appliances... especially when the Real Estate market collapsed... I had new tenants with Sub Zero refrigerators and Wolf ranges they were not leaving behind...

I could write a chapter on appliances and being a property manager.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Yes... unless the stove is built-in.

Over the years it never failed... a nice Thanksgiving with family and friends and get a frantic call the oven isn't working or on the 4th of July the refrigerator stopped working with $600 of steaks going bad...

It's just the economics of it... the $2 a month Housing paid the owner for a refrigerator or stove is something I gladly gave up.

On my higher end homes... almost everyone has very good appliances... especially when the Real Estate market collapsed... I had new tenants with Sub Zero refrigerators and Wolf ranges they were not leaving behind...

I could write a chapter on appliances and being a property manager.
I never knew that, now I know why there is a fridge outside that home under a carport of that section 8 rental home. I can't imagine it's not going to be worthless and useless being outside in Florida heat. But I guess it's better to have an old fridge go bad than have to replace it for them. I think some other LL just supply the stove and fridge because they can always be used refurbished appliances cheap and it's more trouble to remove them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting