Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 07:43 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goochgirl View Post
Also if cops ever get called he's already said he will do or say something to get my kids from me and I believe it I can't chance it
OP, if you can safely do it, start recording these threats and arguments without him knowing. Then if he were to try to have your kids taken away (there's no chance he would get custody of them), you could use these threats as evidence.

Ohio is one-party consent state, so it would be legal to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 10:00 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goochgirl View Post
Hi I have lived with my boyfriend for the last 5 yrs but only my name is on the lease. We have 2 kids also in our house. My boyfriend doesn't help with the bills rent etc we also don't get along anymore I have asked him to to leave but he's being ignorant saying I have to legally evict him since he's lived her so long is that true
It's true, but remind him he will have an eviction on his record so it will ruin his credit score and his chance to ever rent an apartment.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:02 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
OP, if you can safely do it, start recording these threats and arguments without him knowing. Then if he were to try to have your kids taken away (there's no chance he would get custody of them), you could use these threats as evidence.

Ohio is one-party consent state, so it would be legal to do so.
IF you are being threatened it's legal to record no matter what and then call 911. No one is going to charge a person for recording a threat on a hidden mic.

Better yet pick up the phone and video tape it and then call 911.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:58 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
None of this is your landlord's problem and your landlord would be folish to make it into his problem.

If you move out without handing the apartment back to the landlord vacant, you will still be responsible for the rent until the apartment is vacant. If the boyfriend is still there and doesn't pay the rent, both he and you will be named in the eviction.

I suggest that you get hold of your local battered woman's shelter and get their advice.

You really need a lawyer. The battered woman's shelter should be able to provide you with a name of a lawyer who will give you one consultation for no charge.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:45 AM

503 posts, read 1,455,000 times
If you are in an abusive threatening situation, you need to take your kids and go to a womens shelter. File in court for an emergency hearing regarding child custody.

Can you (secretly) give your land lord 30 days notice?

Is there a way you can get him out of the apt for a weekend and while he is gone, you move?

Set Free is a church in some areas of the country where if you call them and ask for help, they will send a few guys to help you move for free.

Be careful though, some are previous criminals, drug addicts, etc.

Move it all to a storage unit if you have too.

Yes it is scary leaving an abusive man, but it needs to be done.

You also need to get a better support system going. Friends/ family etc.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:29 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertrose34 View Post
If you are in an abusive threatening situation, you need to take your kids and go to a womens shelter. File in court for an emergency hearing regarding child custody.

Can you (secretly) give your land lord 30 days notice?

Is there a way you can get him out of the apt for a weekend and while he is gone, you move?

Set Free is a church in some areas of the country where if you call them and ask for help, they will send a few guys to help you move for free.

Be careful though, some are previous criminals, drug addicts, etc.

Move it all to a storage unit if you have too.

Yes it is scary leaving an abusive man, but it needs to be done.

You also need to get a better support system going. Friends/ family etc.
Well... Let's hope the OP figured something out in the last 5 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting