Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 10:52 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times

Advertisements

I'm having a horrid experience with AARP's The Hartford renter's insurance. This is the first homeowner's/renter's insurance claim I have ever filed in my life. We're talking around 40 years of paying premiums.

My truck was broken into, and things were stolen from it totaling around $1,900. The Hartford first tried to deny the biggest item, which would have left me without enough other items to even hit my deductible. I fought that, and now they are misrepresenting facts about my coverage, and delaying, delaying.

If I don't have an acceptable settlement by Monday (the last deadline they promised me before then saying oh, it's going to be another 7 - 10 business days), I'm going to take them to small claims court, hoping that gets them off their rear to settle up.

Anyway, I've been reading reviews of a bunch of different homeowner's/renter's insurance companies and it sounds like this is what they all do now - try to deny, lie about coverage or your legal options, and delay, delay, delay.

So, I thought I'd ask here on CD if there is anyone who has filed a claim with their insurance company in the last few years and actually had a good experience. If they're all just as bad, I might as well stay with the Hartford, as the price is good through AARP, and under CA law they can't drop me for filing a claim. Of course, who knows if they'll raise my premium.

So, does anyone actually like their insurance company - who has actually filed a claim recently?

By the way, for car insurance Geico was fantastic. Took care of everything the very next day. I had comprehensive through Geico, and they took care of the damage to the truck (broken door handle, broken window), without hassles. Unfortunately, Geico just acts as a broker for their renter's insurance, and the reviews for that are bad, too. They just shop for options for you from other insurers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 02:40 AM

106,687 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i like geico . not the cheapest but they always have given me no grief with claims.been with them over 40 years

Old 04-13-2018, 08:34 AM

453 posts, read 410,740 times
I have geico for car insurance. Only had 1 experience so far, but very positive. A truck kicked up a large rock on the highway and it cracked my windshield. Filed my claim online and was getting my windshield replaced less than 24 hours later. No hassle, no back and forth.

I was prepared for a fight given some of the nightmare stories I’ve heard over the years. Insurance companies have no problem taking tens of thousands of dollars from you over the course of several years or even decades, when nothing happens. However, when something finally does happen, it becomes like pulling teeth to get them to pay out

Old 04-13-2018, 09:04 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,580,236 times
You’re now likely running into a sublimit issue with items outside of the insured premises.

That’s about reading policy language and understanding what’s really covered.

Small claims court isn’t the answer. CA DOI is 800-927-HELP

Old 04-13-2018, 06:07 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Car ins should cover this not renters ins

Old 04-13-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Car ins should cover this not renters ins
It does not. Unless it’s attached to the vehicle, it’s not covered by your car insurance.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i like geico . not the cheapest but they always have given me no grief with claims.been with them over 40 years
Do you have Geico for homeowners or renters insurance? If so, which renter's insurance do you have through them?

I have care insurance through them, but they are only brokers for renter's insurance, and they just offer you several options - they don't actually offer renter's insurance directly.

So, if you have renter's insurance through Geico, which company do you use through them? Have you ever actually had a renter's insurance claim? And it went well?

Geico was great for my comprehensive on the truck, but I'm wondering about renter's insurance experiences. My problem is with the renter's insurance coverage for the items stolen.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:27 PM

From the responses, I perhaps didn't make myself clear.

My car insurance for the damage to the car was covered by Geico, and I had no problems with that with my comprehensive insurance.

My question is regarding renter's insurance. My renter's insurance is through The Hartford. They are denying coverage for some items stolen out of the vehicle.

I file a small claims lawsuit today because they keep denying and delaying.

So, has anyone had a good experience with a renter's insurance policy, from a claim filed with them? And with which company? That's my question. Thanks.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
From the responses, I perhaps didn't make myself clear.

My car insurance for the damage to the car was covered by Geico, and I had no problems with that with my comprehensive insurance.

My question is regarding renter's insurance. My renter's insurance is through The Hartford. They are denying coverage for some items stolen out of the vehicle.

I file a small claims lawsuit today because they keep denying and delaying.

So, has anyone had a good experience with a renter's insurance policy, from a claim filed with them? And with which company? That's my question. Thanks.
Again. Small claims isn’t the answer or fastest way. Start with the DOI.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Again. Small claims isn’t the answer or fastest way. Start with the DOI.
I disagree. Anytime you file a complaint with a government agency, it first of all takes forever, and secondly, they don't usually actually prosecute your personal case, and collect money owed to you.

They may take your information and then eventually fine the insurance company, but they aren't going to get your money for you.

So, again, my question is about who is happy with their renter's or homeowner's insurance - who has actually filed a claim and been happy with how it was handled?

Have you?

Or, perhaps you have personally filed a claim in this type of matter with the DOI? And had an outcome where they got your money for you? And if so, how long did it take and did they get all of the money owed to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting